subwayguy

NYC AOS interview experience (NIV adjusted status a week after arrival)

2 posts in this topic

It has been a while since I had my interview, I have gained a tremendous amount knowledge on this website. Here is my chance to give back.

background : We are a same sex couple in NYC , our AOS interview was in LIC office (now closed temporarily ) my partner and I got married on april 29th last year. However, my last entry was on April 24th on a F1 visa. We filed our paper on may the 2nd . Being my i20 was set to expire in a month. I was worried sick about this short period of time between entry and marriage. We even spent thousands of dollars getting a very good immigration solicitor. I was told It MIGHT be an issue but most likely it would be overlooked.

Our appointment was at 3PM. My partner and I arrived around 2pm and was allowed in with our solicitor. We were checked in and sat down. There were at least 20 couples in that room. We saw people get called in , some came out with big smile on their face and some didn't. There were also 2 same sex couples.

We waited and waited and waited. Nobody called us. The wait was terrible. Until we were the last couple in the room!!! And one of they lady worked there even dimmed the light! At around 5:20 PM we were called in.

Our examiner was a mid aged caucasian gentleman. He swore us in. My solicitor's phone all of a sudden went off. She apologized and we proceeded to our interview. The examiner asked how we met. My partner answered. then he asked me do I know any of his families. I said yes, and their names. He then asked us which schools did i go and what was my major at college. He went through my passport and asked me about Turkey i went to 2X. He was obviously interested in going there . He opened letters from families and friends and read them briefly .

Then he started the YES and NO questions. After that, he told us he was going to approve us and I should hear something from him either the same day or next Monday.

I was shocked! I thought we were gonna get grilled and didn't expect to get approved that easy. But after all, our relationship is 1,000% REAL and we have been together for over 6 years. The interview was about 15 mins , by the time we were leaving , the waiting hall was dark and dead!

So we went home, celebrated . I did't hear from the USCIS the same day and nothing on monday either. My partner was worried sick and asked me 3,000 times a day about why we haven't heard anything blah blah blah. It almost felt that he was getting a green card. Four days passed and still nothing.

I had my advanced parole and thought I might as well go somewhere , So, i booked myself a ticket and went to Europe for vocation . On the 9th of September , When i was walking in the street in prague whilst eating a vanilla cone from Mcdonalds, I got a text message saying my case is approved. 5 seconds later another text said my card is in production.

I entered JFK on september the 17th with my advanced parole. I waited in the VISITOR line for around an hour and half. I handed the officer my advanced parole and told him my green card has been approved while I was overseas. He took my passport and led me to another room with around 50 people waiting. the officer told me to wait, and I asked him how long is the wait. He looked at me and said "maybe 6 hours" I looked at him like he's crazy, ugh. he shrugged but then , just then he said " ok, come with me " He took my passport to another room, where they had around 5 people waiting! I waited till my name was called, some people sitting behind the computer asked me where did i go. then He stamped my passport with a PAROLE stamp. I told him my LPR status has been approved. He typed in his computer and then crossed the parole stamp, stamped my passport with another regular entry stamp, wrote ARC and welcomed me back.

So thats the semi end of my AOS interview. hope it helps

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Congrats and thanks for posting your experience.

~ Moved from AOS from Family Based Visas to AOS from Work, Student & Tourist Visas Progress Reports - topic is AOS case status from F-1 ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.