Jump to content


5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Ok, my situation can't be THAT rare; especially with all of the dating sites and living in a border city.

I met my boyfriend through the tinder app in 2014. He lives in Bellingham, Washington (U.S. Citizen) and I live in Coquitlam, B.C., Canada (Canadian Citizen). We are absolutely head over heels about one another and can't wait to start our lives together. *Pretty sure there will be a ring on my finger within the next few months*. What I am trying to figure out now, is how to make this all work. I'm a keener, and like to have a plan.

Friends, what do you think? K-1 Visa?
Personally, I don't think this works well in my situation as we are crossing the border every weekend to see one another. We are currently only 1 hour by car away from each other. I also have a nexus pass which helps with border crossing. I have a reallllly good job in Vancouver that I don't want to leave. I will commute everyday if I have to. Living in Washington state will only provide us with better opportunities as a couple and some day, as a family.

So, if not K-1, I-130?
We have talked about having a small courthouse wedding and then applying for this visa. This seems to make the most logical sense as I want to continue working in Canada. So, I apply for the visa, then wait it out in Canada until I am approved? Once it is approved, will I have a problem crossing over the US-Canada border everyday?

This whole process seems so daunting. Any advice or thoughts about my situation are greatly appreciated.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

K1 Visa would be an issue if you wanted to keep driving over the border to Canada every day. There is a period of time after you enter the US on your visa (or POE) that you can't leave the US until you have either received your greencard or a card called 'advance parole' which gives you permission to leave and re-enter the country and not lose your status. This can take months to get - it took just over 3 months for me. As far as the logistics of having the I-130, living in the US and working in Canada that is something I am not familiar with other than that taxes will be a lot more complicated!

Another thing to consider - if you apply for K1 visa you can interview in Vancouver but all married visas have to travel to Montreal. I guess it depends how badly you want to keep working in BC!

P.S. Kudos on having a Nexus pass already. I waited to get mine and am wondering why I didn't get it earlier. So convenient. I travel from WA to BC to visit family more often myself.


April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If u want to keep ur job in Canada..which u can do...the CR-1 route is the way to go!. As with the k1 once you get it endorsed (activated) u can NOT leave the USA until u get the greencard! With the CR-1 route (marriage) you can leave the USA.

There are a fair # of Canucks here that travel back back to Canada to work..then back to the USA, few in ur region..just can't recall who they are..Maybe they will pipe up!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.