CMBx3

B2 visa visit, I-130 @ NVC

10 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

PD 03JUN14. I-130 approved and sitting at NVC since NOV2014.

I've visited USA twice already since my PD. Successfully entered on VWP each time. My USC child is living with me abroad, however i'd like for her to start school in the US this coming fall. My husband works and wouldn't be able to care for her when she's home from school so I would have to be there to do this. VWP only allows 90 days max and I would need to stay about 5 months from August - December (after holiday we'd fly back together then she'd return later with my mom in law for winter semester). So I applied for a B2 visa & on April 15th was approved.

If visa bulletin continues to moves by 4 - 6 weeks i'll be current around Jan - February. Any advice how to manage my stay in the us while preparing for petition? Should I start to apply for needed stuff like police certificate before or after my trip? Will this stay affect in any way?

(L)Central Park Wedding (L)

I will let a more experienced person from the forum add value but here's my two cents:

the hope is that the VB moves consistently at an average pace of about 4 weeks ~ 1 month each month. By that logic, I think you should be okay to go for 5 months - Aug-Dec and then leave a month gap and come back for another 5 months. B2 visa allows you 6 months at a time to stay.

You shouldn't apply for the PCC if there has been no movement in your case. when you say it's been sitting at the NVC do you mean to say that the case has been received? do you have a case number? what stage of the NVC are you at?

PCC can be valid for 30 days, 90, or a year - just depends what your country counts as valid - for example UK PCC are valid for a year. I would however recommend that you have a PCC that is at least 3 months valid during submission to the NVC.

You should also check on how long it takes to receive the PCC. UK has a good turn around time - 10-12 days even faster if you pay more, but countries like India can be longer upto 45 days. you may want to plan that accordingly. I would wait and see where the VB ends up around December and plan accordingly.

In the event things progress much quicker, have a plan to adapt for example if you need to leave to go back to Jamaica in order to get the required documents ready for the interview. I think It's safe to at least come for the first 5 months. By the end of that trip, you will probbaly have a lot more clarity on where you need to be in the process.

good luck and hope I helped. I'll let some other folks add their value as well.

F2A JOURNEY STATUS

COMPLETE

USCIS

Vermont Service Center

01/17/14 : NOA1 (Priority Date)

03/24/15 : NOA-T (Electronic Transfer notice to California Service Center)

03/28/15 : NOA-T (Hard Copy of Transfer notice received in mail)

03/30/15 : NOA2 ( I-130 Approved) Electronic confirmation

04/03/15 : NOA2 Hard Copy received in mail

NVC

http://www.visajourn...php/NVC_Process

04/16/15 : NVC Received Case (Phone call with CSR confirmed)

04/24/15 : Case number and IIN assigned (Phone Call)

04/27/15 : NVC Welcome Letter received via Email

04/27/15 : DS-261 Waived and AOS & IV bill invoiced

04/28/15 : AOS & IV bill paid (Status: IN PROCESS)

04/29/15 : AOS & IV bill paid (Status: PAID)

04/29/15 : DS-260 Available online

04/30/15 : DS-260 Completed

05/08/15 : AOS and IV Package mailed to NVC

05/26/15 : NVC Scan Date (CSR confirmed)

06/17/15 : Case Complete

07/29/15 : Interview Date Received Sep 2nd! (CSR confirmed) :dancing:

07/30/15 : Interview Letter email received (P4)

07/31/15 : NVC shipped out case to London Embassy

Embassy

07/30/15 : Medical Completed

08/01/15 : CEAC status "In Transit"

08/03/15 : Package received at London Embassy

08/05/15 : CEAC status "Ready"

09/02/15 : Interview

09/02/15 : Interview Result: APPROVED!!

09/03/15 : CEAC status changed to "Administrative Processing"

09/04/15 : CEAC status changed to "Issued " :dancing:

09/10/15 : Visa in hand!!

09/11/15 : POE

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You had a B2 approved. As long as you have the B2 and enter/exit the country in the terms of that visa (visit with family, tourism), you should be fine.

I understand your desire to enroll your kid in school... if somebody else can take care of her for the next semester and you are comfortable with that, I think your plan works.

I have a B1/B2.. i have entered quite a few times during this process and never had an issue. I get 6 months every time, though I stay for 1-3 weeks max.

UnaMexicana

:yes:Intelligence trumps muscle... Imagination trumps both! :yes:

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Cd. Juarez, Mexico
Met: January, 2006 :D
Marriage (if applicable): 2012-10-26 (L)
I-130 Sent : 2014-08-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-08-04

I-130 NOA2 : 2015-05-14

Shipped to DoS: 2015-05-22

Received at NVC: 2015-06-01

Case Created at NVC: 2015-06-10 (from Julian Date calculation)

AOS and IV Fee Invoiced: 2015-06-11
AOS and IV Fee Paid: Website down as of 06-15... Just waiting...
AOS and IV Fee Paid: 2015-07-05 CEAC site finally UP! :dancing:

AOS and Civil Docs received at NVC: 2015-10-13

NVC checklist for obsolete i864: 2015-11-25

Submit updated i864: ?????? when my lawyer desires... :clock:
Submit updated i864: Did NOT wait for lawywer. Did it myself 2015-12-10
NVC received reply to checklist i864: 2015-12-10 (yes.. same day O.O)

NVC case completed: 2016-01-07
NVC assigned interview date: 2016-01-23
Interview at CJS consulate: 2016-03-30

Visa "Issued": 2016-04-05
Entered the US: 2016-04-27

SSN Arrived: 2016-05-07 ... wow TEN days!

N-400

Filed Online: 2020-06-30

NOA: 2020-07-01

Biometrics Letter: 2021-04-08
Biometrics Appointment: 2021-05-03
Interview Scheduled/Cancelled: 2021-06-25 (never received online nor mail notification, just an email reply to tier 2 inquiry about status)

Interview ReScheduled: 2021-11-02

Interview Date: 2021-11-30

Oath ceremony Scheduled/Cancelled/Placed in Line: 2021-12-01
Oath: 2022-1-24 ... JOURNEY OVER! 😺

event.png

event.png

If you don't mind me asking both of you - was it hard getting the visit visa approved? my wife used the VWP but like I said the last time it was a bit of an issue at the airport, and I was wondering what the experience was like - Did they ask why you wanted a visit visa when you have the VWP?

F2A JOURNEY STATUS

COMPLETE

USCIS

Vermont Service Center

01/17/14 : NOA1 (Priority Date)

03/24/15 : NOA-T (Electronic Transfer notice to California Service Center)

03/28/15 : NOA-T (Hard Copy of Transfer notice received in mail)

03/30/15 : NOA2 ( I-130 Approved) Electronic confirmation

04/03/15 : NOA2 Hard Copy received in mail

NVC

http://www.visajourn...php/NVC_Process

04/16/15 : NVC Received Case (Phone call with CSR confirmed)

04/24/15 : Case number and IIN assigned (Phone Call)

04/27/15 : NVC Welcome Letter received via Email

04/27/15 : DS-261 Waived and AOS & IV bill invoiced

04/28/15 : AOS & IV bill paid (Status: IN PROCESS)

04/29/15 : AOS & IV bill paid (Status: PAID)

04/29/15 : DS-260 Available online

04/30/15 : DS-260 Completed

05/08/15 : AOS and IV Package mailed to NVC

05/26/15 : NVC Scan Date (CSR confirmed)

06/17/15 : Case Complete

07/29/15 : Interview Date Received Sep 2nd! (CSR confirmed) :dancing:

07/30/15 : Interview Letter email received (P4)

07/31/15 : NVC shipped out case to London Embassy

Embassy

07/30/15 : Medical Completed

08/01/15 : CEAC status "In Transit"

08/03/15 : Package received at London Embassy

08/05/15 : CEAC status "Ready"

09/02/15 : Interview

09/02/15 : Interview Result: APPROVED!!

09/03/15 : CEAC status changed to "Administrative Processing"

09/04/15 : CEAC status changed to "Issued " :dancing:

09/10/15 : Visa in hand!!

09/11/15 : POE

Timeline

I will let a more experienced person from the forum add value but here's my two cents:

the hope is that the VB moves consistently at an average pace of about 4 weeks ~ 1 month each month. By that logic, I think you should be okay to go for 5 months - Aug-Dec and then leave a month gap and come back for another 5 months. B2 visa allows you 6 months at a time to stay.

You shouldn't apply for the PCC if there has been no movement in your case. when you say it's been sitting at the NVC do you mean to say that the case has been received? do you have a case number? what stage of the NVC are you at?

PCC can be valid for 30 days, 90, or a year - just depends what your country counts as valid - for example UK PCC are valid for a year. I would however recommend that you have a PCC that is at least 3 months valid during submission to the NVC.

You should also check on how long it takes to receive the PCC. UK has a good turn around time - 10-12 days even faster if you pay more, but countries like India can be longer upto 45 days. you may want to plan that accordingly. I would wait and see where the VB ends up around December and plan accordingly.

In the event things progress much quicker, have a plan to adapt for example if you need to leave to go back to Jamaica in order to get the required documents ready for the interview. I think It's safe to at least come for the first 5 months. By the end of that trip, you will probbaly have a lot more clarity on where you need to be in the process.

good luck and hope I helped. I'll let some other folks add their value as well.

Thanks! I have updated my signature to give more info on my case.

Jamaican PCC is valid 6 months. Takes 21 days to receive but I should be about to receive it in 3 days at an extra cost.

I'm just nervous about not being able to proceed with NVC if they send welcome letter while i'm away from home and unprepared with necessary documents.

I dont want to risk having my case delayed!! :unsure:

Also, is the PCC the only document that I'd need from home for the nvc stage? I also thought about having a check at the dr before I leave to make sure I'm update with my vaccinations.

Any other suggestions?

Timeline

You had a B2 approved. As long as you have the B2 and enter/exit the country in the terms of that visa (visit with family, tourism), you should be fine.

I understand your desire to enroll your kid in school... if somebody else can take care of her for the next semester and you are comfortable with that, I think your plan works.

I have a B1/B2.. i have entered quite a few times during this process and never had an issue. I get 6 months every time, though I stay for 1-3 weeks max.

UnaMexicana

Hi, I'm not so much worried about entering the US. I'm just trying to figure out how to manage preparing for the NVC stage of my case leading up to CC while i'm away. I want to try to prevent any possible delays and just be prepared for everything. Any input? thanks

Timeline

If you don't mind me asking both of you - was it hard getting the visit visa approved? my wife used the VWP but like I said the last time it was a bit of an issue at the airport, and I was wondering what the experience was like - Did they ask why you wanted a visit visa when you have the VWP?

Hi, my experience was actually good. My situation might be quiet a bit different from the norm though. I'm a dual citizen. I've been traveling to the US for 4 yrs with VWP. My Jamaican passport isn't eligible for VWP and I previously didn't have a visa.

However, my VWP eligible passport is about to expire in a few weeks making my esta invalid. Since I'm living in Jamaica I decided to apply for a b2 visa with my valid Jamaican passport.

The main question the officer asked though was why I hadn't just continued traveling with esta. I explained to him what I wrote about above.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi,

I got it a long time ago (i was 21) and it was just a matter of luck, as I had literally no money. It was approved probably because i was enrolled in a top public university in MX, with excellent grades, and I had a previous visit to Canada.

Once we started the immigration process I had to renew it due to my work. I believe that is what helped. I disclosed everything in the renewal application and I still got a 10 year b1/b2 visa renewal.

I have had no trouble using it for SHORT visits. I have not attempted to enter only four tourism, though.. it is always business and visiting husband afterwards. I will enter as tourist next month and update you guys.

UnaMexicana

:yes:Intelligence trumps muscle... Imagination trumps both! :yes:

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Cd. Juarez, Mexico
Met: January, 2006 :D
Marriage (if applicable): 2012-10-26 (L)
I-130 Sent : 2014-08-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-08-04

I-130 NOA2 : 2015-05-14

Shipped to DoS: 2015-05-22

Received at NVC: 2015-06-01

Case Created at NVC: 2015-06-10 (from Julian Date calculation)

AOS and IV Fee Invoiced: 2015-06-11
AOS and IV Fee Paid: Website down as of 06-15... Just waiting...
AOS and IV Fee Paid: 2015-07-05 CEAC site finally UP! :dancing:

AOS and Civil Docs received at NVC: 2015-10-13

NVC checklist for obsolete i864: 2015-11-25

Submit updated i864: ?????? when my lawyer desires... :clock:
Submit updated i864: Did NOT wait for lawywer. Did it myself 2015-12-10
NVC received reply to checklist i864: 2015-12-10 (yes.. same day O.O)

NVC case completed: 2016-01-07
NVC assigned interview date: 2016-01-23
Interview at CJS consulate: 2016-03-30

Visa "Issued": 2016-04-05
Entered the US: 2016-04-27

SSN Arrived: 2016-05-07 ... wow TEN days!

N-400

Filed Online: 2020-06-30

NOA: 2020-07-01

Biometrics Letter: 2021-04-08
Biometrics Appointment: 2021-05-03
Interview Scheduled/Cancelled: 2021-06-25 (never received online nor mail notification, just an email reply to tier 2 inquiry about status)

Interview ReScheduled: 2021-11-02

Interview Date: 2021-11-30

Oath ceremony Scheduled/Cancelled/Placed in Line: 2021-12-01
Oath: 2022-1-24 ... JOURNEY OVER! 😺

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Always willing to be informed OP have you ever had a prob with having a child in the US as

a visitor? I knew a few ppl did traveling with their kid via Miami airport....I knew one who owed

the hospital & that came up.

Never had a problem. I assume that once you haven't done anything illegal and cleared up all your fees, you should be ok.

I've only entered through JFK though.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.