Dani&Juli_VE

Changing Foreign Address to --> US Address

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I got another issue, your experience would be very useful for us!

We are abroad, so we used our Venezuelan address in the I-130 form. We already got NOA1 trough email and text message (my sister's in US) but of course USCIS will attempt to send NOA1 Hard Copy to our foreign address. I'm afraid because Venezuelan postal service is a complete disaster: its slow, unreliable, they lose things, they're unreachable… it’s just a Russian roulette. I guess we will simply forget about receiving this Hard Copy from USCIS. I've read we really don't need that one anyway...

BUT I'm afraid there are OTHER notices/packages/documents I might need to receive on paper from USCIS/NVC, right?

So, there is an option on USCIS website to change mailing address. Maybe I could change it to my sister's address in the US, which will eventually be my domicile. Has anyone had experience with this? Will it cause any delay the my process? (I've read there is a tendency to speed up / expedite petitions filed from abroad) is that still true?

I really appreciate it guys, thanks in advance!

Edited by Dani&Juli_VE

06/10/2003 - Met in Nueva Esparta, Venezuela
04/20/2013 - Married in Caracas, Venezuela

USCIS STAGE
04/08/2015 - I-130 Package Sent to Chicago Lockbox trough USPS
04/09/2015 - USPS Tracking: "Delivered"
04/13/2015 - Received NOA1 via e-mail and text msg (CSC)
05/22/2015 - Received NOA2 via email and text msg (only 40 days!)

NVC STAGE
06/18/2015 - NVC Received our case (we had to call to figure this one out)
08/03/2015 - Called NVC and retrieved both Case Number and IIN
08/03/2015 - Paid Affidavit of Support Fee ONLINE (IV Fee still not available for payment)
09/09/2015 - Filed DS-261 (Choice of agent) ONLINE
09/15/2015 - Paid IV FEE and filled DS-260 ONLINE
10/20/2015 - Sent both AOS and IV packages trough USPS
10/28/2015 - Got email: Packages received by NVC (Scan date)
12/04/2015 - Called NVC: our case went for "Supervisor Review" (+45 days???)
12/24/2015 - Case Complete...!!! Thank you Lord!!!
12/24/2015 - Interview date scheduled: feb 23rd 2016!!!

23/02/2016 - Interview: Visa Approved

12/03/2016 - Point of Entry: Miami, FL - Perfect!

25/03/2016 - SSN received at mailbox

12/04/2016 - Green Card received at mailbox!!!! Whoohooo!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Did you sign up for the email updates? If so, that will help a lot. I get an email every time they have a notification for me and then weeks later I get the physical copy here in Brazil. I'm sure people with a lot more knowledge will give you a better knowledge but if I were you, I would just leave things as is.

Did you sign up for the email updates? If so, that will help a lot. I get an email every time they have a notification for me and then weeks later I get the physical copy here in Brazil. I'm sure people with a lot more knowledge will give you a better knowledge but if I were you, I would just leave things as is.

Thanks surogrenev yes I signed up for email updates.

I just checked your timeline and I can see you are finishing NVC stage. Good for you!!!

Now, according to your own experience, could I rely SOLELY on email updates to go through the process? or there is some point where I REALLY NEED to receive something by regular mail?

Thanks man and best wishes!

06/10/2003 - Met in Nueva Esparta, Venezuela
04/20/2013 - Married in Caracas, Venezuela

USCIS STAGE
04/08/2015 - I-130 Package Sent to Chicago Lockbox trough USPS
04/09/2015 - USPS Tracking: "Delivered"
04/13/2015 - Received NOA1 via e-mail and text msg (CSC)
05/22/2015 - Received NOA2 via email and text msg (only 40 days!)

NVC STAGE
06/18/2015 - NVC Received our case (we had to call to figure this one out)
08/03/2015 - Called NVC and retrieved both Case Number and IIN
08/03/2015 - Paid Affidavit of Support Fee ONLINE (IV Fee still not available for payment)
09/09/2015 - Filed DS-261 (Choice of agent) ONLINE
09/15/2015 - Paid IV FEE and filled DS-260 ONLINE
10/20/2015 - Sent both AOS and IV packages trough USPS
10/28/2015 - Got email: Packages received by NVC (Scan date)
12/04/2015 - Called NVC: our case went for "Supervisor Review" (+45 days???)
12/24/2015 - Case Complete...!!! Thank you Lord!!!
12/24/2015 - Interview date scheduled: feb 23rd 2016!!!

23/02/2016 - Interview: Visa Approved

12/03/2016 - Point of Entry: Miami, FL - Perfect!

25/03/2016 - SSN received at mailbox

12/04/2016 - Green Card received at mailbox!!!! Whoohooo!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.