kb9

Question about Foreign earned income exclusion

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Tax day is around the corner. Even though I've already filed, I'm second guessing if I entered the correct information with regards to my foreign income prior to moving to the US. I'm considering sending an amendment, but before that I would like to clarify with my fellow US immigrants:

Some facts:

1. Got IR1 visa in end-Jan 2014 and made the first "POE" entry to US in May 2014. I took a vacation from my job to make this visit, so I was still earning income.

2. Visited home country between June-Aug 2014 to tie up lose ends with regards to job and prepare for final move after quitting foreign job in late Aug.

3. Entered US end-Aug 2014 started working in US from Sept 2014.

While filling my 2014 tax forms, I reviewed forum posts which recommended entering the entire 2014's income (foreign and US). I'm wondering if that was indeed the right move?

I am aware as a LPR, I'm responsible or filing worldwide income. I would like to know when the requirement comes into effect for me? Does it begin:

a) as soon as I get the IR1 visa? (i.e. Jan 2014), or

b) as soon as I go through POE (i.e. May 2014)

c) as soon as I permanently move to the US and begin a US job (i.e. Sep 2014)

To be on the safe side, I reported entire foreign income from Jan 2014-Aug 2014, in addition to my US income from Sep 2014. I'd like confirmation whether I did the right thing?

Thanks!

For you to file taxes as married filing jointly, you need to make an election to be considered as a US resident for tax purposes. When you make this election, you need to count ALL your foreign income for the entire tax year from Jan 1 to Dec 31. In addition, you will report any US income as well.

If all your foreign income was from Jan to Aug, and you included all your US income from Sept to Dec, then you should be good.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

You might be excluded from paying taxes on the income you earned outside of the US. Start by reading this: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Foreign-Earned-Income-Exclusion

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.