Isafella

Which visa to file for? Stationed overseas

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have a bit of a complicated situation and would really appreciate some advice. My fiancé is in the USAF stationed in England, where we both live. His orders are up in January and he is getting out of the military. We were both hoping to move in with his parents in TX and marry there soon after he is out.

Is it possible to file for a K1 fiancé visa 9ish months in advance, so that it may be complete and ready for me to move with him in January (or around that time) to marry? I’ve read online that some people ran into issues as they were stationed overseas when filing the petition. If he puts his parents address on the form, if he also put his APO under the ‘active duty military address’ is this not contradicting himself?

Our other option would have been to marry here first, and apply for a spouse visa however he is now deployed until October. If we married in October/November and applied for a spouse visa, what are the chances of me being able to move to TX by January/Feb? We’d like to take the best route that can get me into the states as soon after him as possible.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Sorry you've not had any response about this up to now!!

Well, you can look at it from more than one way. If he's deployed now and isn't back till October, you could gather all the documents you need and begin filing in. . . Lets say May/June time, they maybe you might have your K Visa in time to go with him. If it comes ahead of that time, you don't need to enter the sates as soon as you get it. You have 6 months to enter. I believe it's 6 months from the medical. Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

If you wait for him to get back from deployment, get married and then file for spouse visa, you won't be moving before October '16. I don't know anything about the spouse Visa route as we've gone for the K-Visa and I've not bothered to research on the alternative spouse visa route.

My fiance and I were going to do all the paper work while he was deployed, but in the end I just said leave it till he got back.

Where is your fiance based over here? Lakenheath? Croughton?

Edited by Howeetest D

Got engaged: 10 May 2014

I-129F Sent : 02 Feb 2015

I-129F NOA1 : 10 Feb 2015

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 06 Mar 2015

Hrdcpy NOA2: 12 Mar 2015

NVC Received: 22 Apr 2015

Case # Assig: 23 Apr 2015

NVC Left : 29 Apr 2015

Embassy Received:05 May 2015

Medical Date: 07 May 2015

Packet 3 Received:07 May 2015

Packet 3 Sent: 07 May 2015

Packet 4 Received:19 May 2015

Interview Date: 16 Jun 2015 (Approved)

Issued: 29 Jun 2015

At Depot: 02 Jul 2015

P.O.A: 06 Aug 2015

Wedding: 28 Aug 2015

v5Hb.png

Timeline

Thank you for your reply!

We ended up discussing it with a lawyer and they advised us to take the fiancé route and are pretty confident it can all be sorted in our timeframe.

Did you/ are you going to file by yourselves? We haven't officially hired a lawyer yet. It seems the easier option for us though opposed to trying to send him all the scanned documentation and for him to fill out the forms and send them from his deployed location.

Yeah, he is stationed here at Lakenheath.

Timeline

You're very welcome!!

Yes, we filed by ourselves! It was pretty easy for us to file as he was already back on base in Tucson when we did. I'm sure it won't be too hard if you want to do it by yourself, even while he's still deployed!

When my fiancé was deployed in Bahgram he was able to speak with somebody over there about immigration who try to help us. So before you hire a lawyer I would suggest seeing if your fiancé could do the same!

There's something I read before about filing while deployed, can't for the life of me find it now! What I'll do is, see if I can find it today and post it here for you!!

But yeah, I agree with the lawyer you spoke with, the best option would be the K-1!

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

v5Hb.png

• 1 month later...

Hi Isafella! We are at Lakenheath too :) I don't know much about the fiancee visa, but I do not that if you guys get married here in England when he gets back from deployment, like RIGHT away, you have a decent chance. I filed our visa incorrectly, I filed it directly to the States which is a MUCH longer route, however spouses of military members overseas can file their petitions and all the visa stuff directly to the embassy of the country, and it is all expedited. My friend filed her last September and had a visa in her hand by Jan. I know someone else who filed in Feb this year, had the visa by April and left for the States in May. You may not get to leave EXACTLY when he does but very close to.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Hey everyone

Thanks for your replies. We ended up filing for the K1, they received it on June 10th

I'm glad you've been able to make your decision and get your papaer work sent off! Good luck and I hope it all goes well!

:)

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

v5Hb.png

• 4 weeks later...

Have you not considered getting married and going the DCF route? It's cheaper, faster, and you have a green card upon entry!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 1 month later...
Timeline

I want to do the k1 visa my fiancé is in the usaf and is pcs-ing in 3 months. What address do you up on the forms? We have been to legal, then was sent to 2 other places on the base before being told to contact the embassy which also wasn't any help. What would the quickest rout for me to join him be? I also have a friend going through the same thing but her fiancé does Pcs till February. Thank you :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.