Bambi & João

Inheritence from Brazil

3 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My husband has been in the USA since January 2014. We did the K1 Visa, we have the AOS interview a week from today. He has AP as of February. His mother got sick from pneumonia and passed away on November 1. We were unable to attend they funeral and haven't been to Brazil since. His parents had put us in their will and his dad is also selling the apartment. Our problem is we have to go to Brazil when it sells to sign. My husband is on the deed to be has to sign to sell too. It looks like it will be about a week after the interview because he has a buyer. The apartment is huge and now that he's alone he wants something small. He doesn't want to lose this buyer because most are offering less than what it is worth and this one has made a reasonable offer. I've been told.that they take his EAD/AP combo card at the interview. Does the USCIS have a way to give us something proving he can come back to the USA? Also the other issue, how do you transfer money? Can we transfer between Brazil and our USA bank account? We didn't see this coming and before leaving Brazil, he closed his account there. We are completely lost.

February 13, 2011 I met the love of my life!!

February 21, 2013 He proposed in Rio de Janeiro at Ipanema Beach Post 9!!!!!

May 1, 2013 Petition mailed to USCIS
May 3, 3013 Petition Received by USCIS
May 7, 2013 NOA 1
September 11, 2013 Text and email saying USCIS APPROVED
September 13, NOA2 received
October 10, 2013 files sent to NVC
October 18, 2013 file received by NVC and I was given case number over the phone.
October 22, 2013 marked as IN TRANSIT
October 23, 2013 Consulate received and later that same day marked as READY
October 31, 2013 Packet 3 &4
November 27, 2013 INTERVIEW DATE!!!

December 16, 2013 FINALLY APPROVED!!!!!!

December 18, VISA IN HAND!!!!

Flight to USA January 15, 2014

Arrives in Michigan January 16, 2014 at 11:27 AM!!!!

Married in Lapeer, Michigan on February 21, 2014 Exactly 1 year after we were engaged!!

event.png

event.png

Filed: EB-5 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi Bambi,

I won't be able to answer your question regarding the USCIS, but on how to transfer money from Brazil to the US:

there is nothing restricting you from transferring money from Brazil to the US with one caveat: the money has to be from legal sources. The anti-laudering laws in effect both in Brazil and the US require the banks to make sure the source of your funds are legal. I would suggest you to take all the documents of the will (partilha) to the bank you had an account before and ask to make a wire transfer to your bank account in the US. The lawyer preparing the "partilha" would be able to provide you with all the necessary documentation.

All the best,

Joster

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

The EAD/AP card will not be taken away. He needs them until he gets a green card.

No problem transferring the money as long as he can prove a legal source.

No US taxes. He reports the sale on his tax return as required with an step up basis which results in 0 profits and 0 taxes.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.