Canuck16

Canadian Police Background Certificates

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Any of my fellow Canadian filiers out there know if you have lived in two provinces for awhile do we have to provide a police certificate from each province or would my current province suffice?

Timeline

Hey!

I'm almost positive you need your police check from the RCMP--which is Canada-wide-- (with their seal on it) and not from your province.

That is what I did at least. It only takes about 1-2 weeks to receive back too! Good Luck!

Timeline

Hey!

I'm almost positive you need your police check from the RCMP--which is Canada-wide-- (with their seal on it) and not from your province.

That is what I did at least. It only takes about 1-2 weeks to receive back too! Good Luck!

Ok great thank you! Good luck to you as well :) Did you get through your interview?

Timeline

I did!! :D my interview was Friday and it was approved then! Now I am just freaking out about everything else that needs to be done once I cross. This is my first day on here and I can't figure out how to post a new forum-- can you help me find this?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It doesn't have to be from the RCMP. I got mine from my local city police. They check Canada wide too. I had no problems at the consolate.

Timeline

I did!! :D my interview was Friday and it was approved then! Now I am just freaking out about everything else that needs to be done once I cross. This is my first day on here and I can't figure out how to post a new forum-- can you help me find this?

Great news? How long did the process take for you? And yes - click on the forums tab, then on K-1 Fiance Visa Process and procedures then on the right side there should be a blue looking button that says "Start new topic"

Great news!!! How long did the process take for you? And yes - click on the forums tab, then on K-1 Fiance Visa Process and procedures then on the right side there should be a blue looking button that says "Start new topic"

It doesn't have to be from the RCMP. I got mine from my local city police. They check Canada wide too. I had no problems at the consolate.

Ok my dad is a police officer here and he didn't think it was necessary to get it from them, but I wanted to make 100% sure.

Timeline

I just picked mine up the other day from a local police station. They printed me one immediately ($60, fingerprints were unnecessary). It says that they checked my name/birth date in the RCMP records, so it is nationwide.

Timeline

I just picked mine up the other day from a local police station. They printed me one immediately ($60, fingerprints were unnecessary). It says that they checked my name/birth date in the RCMP records, so it is nationwide.

Ok awesome - thanks for letting me know! Do you know how soon you can get the background check?

Congrats from a fellow Virginian importing fine Canadian goods :P

Filed I-129f petition---------------- 01.07.2015

Hardcopy NOA1 rec.----------------01.23.2015

K1 Visa Received---------------------10.09.2015

Married--------------------------------- 12.12.2015

Filed AOS/EAD-------------------------02.02.2016

AOS/EAD NOA1 rec.------------------02.08.2016

EAD Approved--------------------------04.11.2016

:reading:You can read more about my immigration journey on my blog as well as get tips and information about the process.

Timeline

Ok awesome - thanks for letting me know! Do you know how soon you can get the background check?

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/canada/303578/montreal/Packet3-K1-MTL.pdf

Going by your timeline, you still have a bit of a wait until Montreal gets your case, but they eventually link you to the above. The police check has to be done within a year of the visa interview.

Montreal accepts police certificates for 1 year from the date they were acquired. I suggest, unless you have been convicted of a crime and need fingerprints, to wait until your NOA2 before getting the police certificate. I went to the local RCMP (my city did not have a local police department) and with $30 and in about 10-20 mins I got the police check back.

You can also go to a commissionaires. https://www.commissionaires.ca/en/national/home

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Montreal accepts police certificates for 1 year from the date they were acquired. I suggest, unless you have been convicted of a crime and need fingerprints, to wait until your NOA2 before getting the police certificate. I went to the local RCMP (my city did not have a local police department) and with $30 and in about 10-20 mins I got the police check back.

You can also go to a commissionaires. https://www.commissionaires.ca/en/national/home

My fiancee works for commissionaires so he will be able to get copies of all his military/police conduct reports there. :3

Filed I-129f petition---------------- 01.07.2015

Hardcopy NOA1 rec.----------------01.23.2015

K1 Visa Received---------------------10.09.2015

Married--------------------------------- 12.12.2015

Filed AOS/EAD-------------------------02.02.2016

AOS/EAD NOA1 rec.------------------02.08.2016

EAD Approved--------------------------04.11.2016

:reading:You can read more about my immigration journey on my blog as well as get tips and information about the process.

Timeline

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/canada/303578/montreal/Packet3-K1-MTL.pdf

Going by your timeline, you still have a bit of a wait until Montreal gets your case, but they eventually link you to the above. The police check has to be done within a year of the visa interview.

Yah I know I have a bit of a wait, I just want to have everything ready as soon as possible so I don't waste any time. Thanks for your help! :)

My fiancee works for commissionaires so he will be able to get copies of all his military/police conduct reports there. :3

Was he in the military? If so then he needs a special military report from Ottawa. If not then no biggy! :)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Ok thanks :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.