Dean_De

Is it ok to bring a minor child here ( I-130 ) and then go back overseas to continue with their studies?

19 posts in this topic

I was petitioned by my father 1992. after receiving my green card my dad sent me back to the philippines to study, i was 1 month late of school at that time since i am waiting for my green card. Since i am a minor at that time, he applied me for a re-entry permit before going back and reason is to continue school. We were approved and got 2 yrs re-entry permit granted. I only go back to US every 2 yrs at that time. The green card is good only outside the US for 6 months if its more than that, that means u abandoned your green card if u are not back in the US in 6 months.

My son is still in the Philippines and he will be in College. He like to finish his Nursing ( I know there is a school for Nursing here. But it is more affordable to finish it in Philippines - just IMHO ). My question is, will it be possible to file an I-130 for him so he can come back and forth the US and Philippines ( when he is on on summer vacation and so from school ) and then go back when school starts in the Philippines?

Thank you!

N-400:

08/04/2018 - Online Application Completed!

ROC @ CSC:

06/08/2018 - Mailed Application at USPS.

06/09/2018 - Delivered at USPS P.O. Box.

06/25/2018 - Check has been cashed.

06/25/2018 - NOA1 (USPS).

03/08/2019 - Case Txt/Email Notification for activity.

03/08/2019 - Fingerprint Waived.

03/18/2019 - Letter Notification Received for Biometrics waived.

06/03/2019 - Received Biometrics appointment notice  (usps). (notice date 05/24/2019)

06/04/2019 - Sent request to reschedule biometrics appt for 1 day delivery using usps since wife is out of the country.

06/05/2019 - ASC center received request to reschedule biometrics.

07/23/2019 - We ordered your new card online status!

07/24/2019 - Case Approved online status.

07/31/2019 - Received Green Card!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was petitioned by my father 1992. after receiving my green card my dad sent me back to the philippines to study, i was 1 month late of school at that time since i am waiting for my green card. Since i am a minor at that time, he applied me for a re-entry permit before going back and reason is to continue school. We were approved and got 2 yrs re-entry permit granted. I only go back to US every 2 yrs at that time. The green card is good only outside the US for 6 months if its more than that, that means u abandoned your green card if u are not back in the US in 6 months.

Hi,

So, upon receiving the greencard you applied right away for the Re-Entry permit? How long did it took to get the permit? Also, when one gets the re-entry permit, you are allowed to stay out of the US for 2 straight years then come back? How many times did you apply for the re-entry permit?

Yes my dad applied for the re-entry permit since i was minor at that time signature is not required and when i was 18 i just signed and my father take care of the application and leave again back to Philippines. My dad mailed our re-entry permit after receiving it going to Philippines. I am sorry couldnt answer on how long it took to get the permit since my father passed away already. Yes i was allowed to stay out of the country for 2 years but i went back to re-new again my re-entry permit before the expiration date. I think we applied 5x for re-entry permit. since i was in high school until i graduated from college.

Hi,

So, upon receiving the greencard you applied right away for the Re-Entry permit? How long did it took to get the permit? Also, when one gets the re-entry permit, you are allowed to stay out of the US for 2 straight years then come back? How many times did you apply for the re-entry permit?

Edited by GaRaS

N-400:

08/04/2018 - Online Application Completed!

ROC @ CSC:

06/08/2018 - Mailed Application at USPS.

06/09/2018 - Delivered at USPS P.O. Box.

06/25/2018 - Check has been cashed.

06/25/2018 - NOA1 (USPS).

03/08/2019 - Case Txt/Email Notification for activity.

03/08/2019 - Fingerprint Waived.

03/18/2019 - Letter Notification Received for Biometrics waived.

06/03/2019 - Received Biometrics appointment notice  (usps). (notice date 05/24/2019)

06/04/2019 - Sent request to reschedule biometrics appt for 1 day delivery using usps since wife is out of the country.

06/05/2019 - ASC center received request to reschedule biometrics.

07/23/2019 - We ordered your new card online status!

07/24/2019 - Case Approved online status.

07/31/2019 - Received Green Card!

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes, only if he has a GC already. You can apply for a reentry permit (of course with a fee). He has to go back as soon as he can and not wait for the permit to expire. My nephew did this.

N-400 process

03/03/16 Submitted N-400 application and docs
03/09/16 USCIS ackn rcpt (txt, email, and NOA1) and chk cashed
03/29/16 Biometrics (walked in - orig date 04/05/16)
04/04/16 In Line for an Interview (txt, email, and checked case status)

05/16/16 Scheduled for an Interview (Case Status Online)

05/20/16 Received I/L
06/24/16 Interview date (PASSED)
07/20/16 Oath-taking at LACC ( I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.