Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Previous Name Change Documentation

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone - hopefully this will be an easy question with a simple answer. Following the K1 guides, I noticed that documentation of a name change is required if the previous name was used on any of the forms submitted with the I-129F. My fiancé had her name changed when she was a teenager for feng shui reasons. Her birth name is not shown on any of the documentation that we need to submit with the I-129F, nor is it on her passport or any of her previous US visas (student, work, tourist). Is it necessary to still show evidence of the name change with the I-129F packet? I'm sure this will be necessary for the interview, but I'd rather not wait for this document to be translated, thus delaying the rest of out I-129F submission.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not think it will be needed with the I-129F petition. She can take it with her to the interview, where they will want a copy of her birth certificate.

c. If either you or the person for whom you are filing is using a name other than that shown on the relevant documents,
you must submit copies of the legal documents that made the change, such as a marriage certificate, adoption
decree, or court order.


Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ%20-%20Ciudad%20Juarez.pdf

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...