panssey

Jobs hunting before a green card

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

this question may seem silly but i really dont know if i can do it.

I know that in order to start working I need to have a green card or a work permit. I applied for both of them, I had my biometrics done already and now I am at the stage "We are ready to schedule the interview"

So my question is - can I apply for a job now? The potential start date is in the beginning of June and July (the job is a temp-job and has two sessions) and I am hoping that I will have my documents by this time and will be eligible to work. So am I authorized to apply for that job?

Edited by panssey

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone,

this question may seem silly but i really dont know if i can do it.

I know that in order to start working I need to have a green card or a work permit. I applied for both of them, I had my biometrics done already and now I am at the stage "We are ready to schedule the interview"

So my question is - can I apply for a job now? The potential start date is in the beginning of June and July (the job is a temp-job and has two sessions) and I am hoping that I will have my documents by this time and will be eligible to work. So am I authorized to apply for that job?

Let the potential employer know upfront that you cannot work yet and that you are waiting authorization because you don't want to burn bridges later. Other than that it is perfectly legal to interview for jobs. The only hangup is if an emplouer will agree to interview you, knowing you cannot work yet and if so...will they be waiting to keep the job for you until you can work. If you setup an an interview and don't tell them far into the process you can't work yet, you might hurt yourself for a job later because you will have wasted their time and won't hire you later. But simply to answer....yes you can interview.

Thing is that it is written in a job ad that the hire date is beginning of June and beginning of July, two different sessions, or shifts (as you like). And I hope that if I dont have my documents in June, then I will definetely have them by the beginning of July. The empoyer does not need the employees before these dates, in other words the work will not start before beginning of June and beginning of July, so i guess there is no actual waiting for me (potential employee) on the part of the employer . And it is also written that a person can apply for one session (shift) only or for both of them

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.