Jump to content

Questions on I-134...

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi, guys.

I have some concerns regarding form I-134 mainly due to inconsistencies in information that I am reading online. My current situation is that I want to file for form I-129F so that my fiancé can apply for a K-1 visa. I read through the whole process here and seems simple, but she has children. This is where I have some questions because we want to bring them with us, but not along with her K-1 application, but rather at a later date. How much later will depend on the answer I can get and other factors. Mind you that the children meet K-2 visa requirements, with the (possible?) exception of something I read in the embassy web site that I will copy/paste down below.

I read of the benefits of including the children in form I-129F. However, it is not clear to me what poverty guidelines will be used as far as household size is concerned. The "following to join" option in form I-134 is not clear to me because I don't know if all the children will be accounted for when my fiancé is applying for her visa during the interview.

The ideal situation would be for her visa to be approved, then she comes over and we take about a month or so planning the wedding. After that then we marry, spend 1-2 weeks in a lovely honeymoon (I know we can't travel outside the U.S. for this!). After that, we can dedicate the time needed to gather all the documents and start the process on children's visas. We want the children to come before the 1 year limit (ideally) after the K-1 visa is approved, but it will probably be more than six months after the appoval.

My income may, or may not be suffcient at the time of her interview depending on the poverty guidelines used by the embassy, or how big the consular officer thinks my household is if he/she will take into account the children, so I figured it is a better idea that she comes first and later when we have the necessary requirements it will be easier to bring the kids over. I may have the requirements already, because I've been in my current job for almost 8 years now and a couple months ago I received a considerable raise in my salary, but since it was recent they're not reflected in my most recent tax return.

So these two things I read in the embassy and state.gov web sites got me thinking:

"Do the Same Income Requirements Apply to Form I-134 as Apply to Form I-864?

No. The 125 percent of the federal poverty guideline minimum income requirement, the most recent year's tax return, and other requirements only apply when Form I-864 is needed. Applicants presenting Form I-134 will need to show that their U.S. sponsor's income is 100 percent of the federal poverty guideline."


"If the follow-to-join children are the beneficiaries of a K1 or K3 petition then you must bring a copy of the petitioner and bio-parent's marriage certificate.

There must be an Affidavit of Support (form I-864, www.uscis.gov) from the petitioner (even if he is unemployed). You must ensure that all children applying to join the Principal Applicant in the U.S. are included in the form. In addition to the form, he/she needs to submit the last declaration of tax (1040), and a copy of the LPR. The petitioner is the person who filed papers for the Principal Applicant to receive his/her visa. Note that K2 and K4 derivative children do not need an affidavit of support."

I read reports of consular officers requiring you the 125% even if it's for a I-134 form despite the instructions stating otherwise. Also my fiancé has children, but she was never married. What's this about requiring bio-parent's marriage certificate? Does she need written consent of the children's father to leave the country? I am worried of the complications and negative impact it can have on the K-1 so I came here to hopefully have everything clear and avoid making mistakes beforehand.

What do you guys think is the best way to proceed? Should I include the children in form I-134? If I do, will they be taken into consideration for household size? If so, can I fill the form without listing the children and that will be acceptable? I understand there are possible ways to bring relatives to the U.S. after we marry and we don't mind if we have to wait more than a year to make this a reality, but I would like to know what are all our options as long as we can all be together in the end.


Edited by dknight

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Current income is the figure that counts.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your reply. I suppose that's good news. I can prove with an employment letter from my employer and my pay stubs, just wouldn't be able to prove it if they ask for my tax return as "further evidence".

I'm still curious when are the children taken into account in the household size and if they should or shouldn't be included right off the bat in the I-134 form. The difference between 100% and 125% could be a decisive factor as well. It could be the difference between us coming all together or being separated for a while. Maybe I am overthinking things and worrying too much ahead of time.

Hopefully children do not need expressed consent from a biological parent (that does not posses legal custody) to leave the country.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

hi I think he right current income but I also have a question on the I-134 do we just fill it out with the evidence that is needed to the fiancé to take to the embassy or do it have to send to uscis to b process first thanks

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I don't think you need to send form I-134 along with your I-129F packet to USCIS. At the DHS level they don't need that information, so they'll just end up forwarding the documents to the embassy.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.