Honey&Bunny

Is time of "dating" really an issue?

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys, today I was talking to a friend that just had her interview in the Domiican Republic, and she told that she almost got denied because of the length of her " dating time" before getting married. Now, on top of EVERY SINGLE DRAMA that I have going on with NVC, I am worrying about my "dating time" before marriage ?. Here is my love timeline, and anyone has have a similar situation, please share..

We met when we were kids in the Domincan Reoublic (our houses share property)

Started dating on 2005, and broke up early 2007

We both went our ways

2008 I moved to the U.S. (Started my own relationships, but none work ?)

around Nov 2012 we found each other again (facebook)

Dec 2012 I traveled to DR to visit him (fell in love all over again)

About 5 months later we gotta married (my family said it was the best choice because if I waited another year to get married, I would be looking at a least 3 or 4 years before he can come to the U.S.) WE ALL KNOW HOW IMMIGRATION LAWS CHANGE EVERYDAY, SO, I WAS NOT GOING TO TAKE A CHANCE.. Is 5 months before marrying not enough time? I mean, according to consular officers. Is that what they call a red flag?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It is a little red flag, but less so in your case because you knew eachother before and dated for a while.

Dating for only a short time before marriage is unusual, and thus a red flag; how much of one depends on the totality of circumstances though. For example, if you get married after a week of being together, but then live together for 6 months before filing, that would not be an issue. If you get married after a week of beging together, never having met before and never meeting after the wedding until interview time- huge issue.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

It is a little red flag, but less so in your case because you knew eachother before and dated for a while.

Dating for only a short time before marriage is unusual, and thus a red flag; how much of one depends on the totality of circumstances though. For example, if you get married after a week of being together, but then live together for 6 months before filing, that would not be an issue. If you get married after a week of beging together, never having met before and never meeting after the wedding until interview time- huge issue.

Okay, it sounds good.. You see, I am really concern about our dating time now because we don't have pictures together from when we used to date. Back then, we didn't have enough money to be taking pictures (never cross our minds to take pictures anyways because going through immigration was not a process that we were preparing for) but we can get plenty of affidavits from school teachers,friends, and neighbors.

I have a similar situation, my husband and I met when i was around 7 and he was like 9 , we lived in the same neighborhood up until I moved to the US and we also went to school together until 5th grade; we have known each other for more than 17 years. We liked each other but never got into a relationship, I knew he liked me and the other way around but we never dated while i was there, i guess we were scare of things not working out and then ruin so many years of friendship, were were also too young at the time. I moved to the US in 2007 but we always kept in touch through out the years and constantly talk. Finally we decided to give it a try in 2012 and I went to the DR and got married in 2013. Our friends and families were not surprise at all, my mother for intance was like I saw that coming, she says that she knew that the two of us were gonna end up together since we were kids. I'll be having my interview this week, i'll let you know how it goes.

USCIS

05/21/13: Priority Day

09/09/13: VSC to NSC

09/17/13: Processing at NSC

10/31/13: RFE

11/07/13: RFE Sent

11/13/13: RFE Received

11/20/13: NOA2

11/26/13: Case sent to NVC

NVC

12/18/13: Case Received

01/10/14: Case# and IIN

01/17/14: Completed DS-261

01/21/14: Paid AOS fee

01/25/14: Paid IV Fee

02/17/14: Completed DS-260

04/07/14: Sent IV and AOS

04/25/14: Case Complete

CONSULATE

03/25/15: Interview

03/27/15: Visa Issued

04/01/15: Visa Available to pick up
04/02/15: Picked up visa

04/02/15: Paid fee on ELIS

I have a similar situation, my husband and I met when i was around 7 and he was like 9 , we lived in the same neighborhood up until I moved to the US and we also went to school together until 5th grade; we have known each other for more than 17 years. We liked each other but never got into a relationship, I knew he liked me and the other way around but we never dated while i was there, i guess we were scare of things not working out and then ruin so many years of friendship, were were also too young at the time. I moved to the US in 2007 but we always kept in touch through out the years and constantly talk. Finally we decided to give it a try in 2012 and I went to the DR and got married in 2013. Our friends and families were not surprise at all, my mother for intance was like I saw that coming, she says that she knew that the two of us were gonna end up together since we were kids. I'll be having my interview this week, i'll let you know how it goes.

Great! Please do.... I wish you all the luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.