Christopher1384

Do not trust the SSN box on DS-230

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just wanted to say that you once you go through your point of entry you should call the social security office once a week to check on getting your social security card. The paperwork that they hand you after the interview will tell you to wait like 90 days or something ridiculous but the problem is that most of us check the box requesting the department of homeland security to automatically issue us a SSN on the DS230 when we go through the POE but they don't follow through. The social security office informed us that the Dept of HS only partially submitted the request and filled in the applicants name incorrectly so we had to wait even longer to get the number which can effect your ability to apply for a job. And we had to find this out by going to the SS Office as they could not find my wife in the system when we called them. Just a heads up to stay on top of these people as the only person looking out for you is you.

USCIS

April 9, 2013: NOA 1

Nov. 18: Transferred to Texas

Dec 9: NOA 2

Dec 17: NOA 2 Hard Copy

NVC

Jan 17, 2014: Case received by NVC

Feb. 25: NVC Case# Received

Feb 28: DS-261 Submitted

March 3: AOS Bill Invoiced & Paid

March 6: AOS Bill showing paid

March 6: AOS Packet sent EP (I did not know at the time but 3 attachments were JPEG's, only PDF's are accepted)

March 12: EP enrollment confirmation received

March 13: Resent AOS packet email as I am confused if they received original since EP enrollment confirmation was received by me after AOS was sent.

March 14: Resent AOS packet as I realized previous two packets had JPEG's in them. This is my first correct packet with all PDF's.

March 17: Resent AOS packet for the 4th time with all PDF's and finally got a confirmation of receipt. This one was the only one sent during "business hours"

March 20: IV Bill Invoiced & Paid

March 24: IV Bill Shows Paid and DS260 Available online

March 25: Supervisor states AOS packet approved

March 27: DS260 & Supporting Documents submitted

April 18: False checklist for IV Packet

May 4: Checklist requesting proof of eligibility (passport or BC). Wrote a nasty note back with a passport attached since they already had both as its part of the IV Packet duh

May 13: NVC Approval Email

Embassy

May 16: Interview Scheduled June 25th

May 28: Medical Exam Completed

June 25: Interview Montreal

~~moved to SSN discussion from IR1/CR1 process and procedures~

This is a pretty common problem for the DS-260. I'd say about 80% don't get their SSN due to the checkmark. I went to the SSA office 3 weeks after arrival to get mine and it was in the mail a week later, which is what most people do. You can normally fix any name problems by contacting the nearest CBP in person and getting them to change your SAVE database. I ended up having to fix my SAVE database name fixed through the department of revenue when I went to get a driver's license in Colorado.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry to hear so many have had problems. I arrived in US on December 25th and received my SS card in mail 1st week of January. So I guess the HS officer I dealt with did his work properly??

Got my green card 3 weeks after that!

It's sure nice not to have to be following up on anything now!!

Cheers and best of luck to all!

Peace.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.