SweetHome_Alabama

Help!...Aggrevated with Atlanta Field Office-waiting on Oath Judicial Ceremony appointment

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I will start by saying my husband had biometrics in February of 2014. He had his interview in December of 2014 and received a letter checked with recommended for APPROVAL...Case status has showed waiting in line for Oath Ceremony appointment and if we don't hear anything in 45 days to contact them. The 1-800 call center advised us to make an info pass appointment to make the 8 hr trip to Atlanta to directly speak to an officer about how much longer for an appointment. My husband's Moroccan passport expires in a few days! He has elder parents sickly. The lady officer he got did NOTHING but pulled up his case status just as we did ON-LINE.....WOW! Then says everything looks fine but would not even tell him a time frame for his appointment. Act like she didn't know anything or even cared and sent him on his way....Who can i call to make sure he is not waiting two years or longer? Is there a Congressman, statesman, or supervisor? I know there are others who have this same problem with Atlanta. My husband is adding a name since he was given at birth just a first and last name. I feel we are back to square 1....any advice? Thanks in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Since a name change is involved, you need a judicial ceremony, by Atlanta holds at least one judicial ceremony per month.

Your case will be considered to be within normal processing times for 120 days after the interview. So if the interview was in December you need to be patient until April before you start contacting your representatives.

An Infopass appointment may help, but again, you may just be told that everything is normal and you need to be patient... if you were 30 minutes away, I would have advised you to visit them, but it's not worth an 8 hour drive until after the 120 days are up.

You can contact one of your two senators or your congressperson... look them up and see if one of them has an immigration staffer... that's usually the person who'll be the most help... if not, then contact any/all of them.

Your husband should be able to renew his Moroccan passport and travel using his passport and green card. If that's not possible for some reason, you can try contacting your representatives right away or making an Infopass appointment now and trying to ask for your case to be expedited based on an emergency issue.

I know you've been waiting for a long time and it doesn't seem that you're asking for any special treatment, but as far as USCIS is concerned, the clock restarts with every change in status... so although you've been in this process for over a year, USCIS will say that you've only been waiting since December and will say that you are within the normal wait period.

http://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices/georgia-atlanta-field-office#NaturalizationCeremonies

Naturalization Ceremonies

The Atlanta Field Office has Judicial Ceremonies at least once per month and Administrative Ceremonies approximately 3-4 times per week. The Atlanta Field Office does have same-day naturalization ceremonies.

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.