SONG41

12 year old Son UK citizen

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My husband would like to bring his 12 year old son here to live with us, he has the full agreement of his ex-wife.

The 12 year old currently commutes out to the USA from UK 3 or 4 times a year spending 3-4 months a year with us during school holidays.

The Ex-Wife has a change in her UK situation & work that means it would be better if this was reversed so the son lives with us & returns to his Mom for school holidays.

Is it possible to do this as my husband is now a US citizen does that give his son any status?

What is the correct procedure to follow to allow him to now live with us?

Sorry so many questions.

I hope some of you know the answers?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

Your husband's citizenship does not give his son any status.

Your USC husband start by filing the I-130. It will take 6-12 months for an immigration visa. Follow the Guides (button at the top of this page).

Once the son is admitted as a green card holder, he automatically becomes a USC under the Child Citizenship Act.

Timeline

1. So the only form to file for the son is the i-130?

2. Does he have to submit other forms with his income etc?

3. Once the son has a Green Card & enters USA does he have to apply to then be recognized as a citizen or is that automatic requiring nothing to be done?

Thank you so much for the reply after all we went through it seems a very simple step!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

1. No. Follow the Guides.

2. Yes. Read the instructions for Form I-864. You can file Form I-864w since your son will be a USC upon entry.

3. Its automatic, nothing needs to be done. However you may want to get a US passport and/or a certificate of citizenship.

• 1 year later...
Timeline

We are finally about to get all the paperwork together for my husbands now 13 year old son.

I have read the guidelines.

I am only confused by the I-1864w as it states an adopted child?

This is my husbands son born during his first marriage?

Can anyone clarify if we do file the I-1864w as this is not an adopted child?

Thank You

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.