Jump to content

12 year old Son UK citizen

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My husband would like to bring his 12 year old son here to live with us, he has the full agreement of his ex-wife.

The 12 year old currently commutes out to the USA from UK 3 or 4 times a year spending 3-4 months a year with us during school holidays.

The Ex-Wife has a change in her UK situation & work that means it would be better if this was reversed so the son lives with us & returns to his Mom for school holidays.

Is it possible to do this as my husband is now a US citizen does that give his son any status?

What is the correct procedure to follow to allow him to now live with us?

Sorry so many questions.

I hope some of you know the answers?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Your husband's citizenship does not give his son any status.

Your USC husband start by filing the I-130. It will take 6-12 months for an immigration visa. Follow the Guides (button at the top of this page).

Once the son is admitted as a green card holder, he automatically becomes a USC under the Child Citizenship Act.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

1. So the only form to file for the son is the i-130?

2. Does he have to submit other forms with his income etc?

3. Once the son has a Green Card & enters USA does he have to apply to then be recognized as a citizen or is that automatic requiring nothing to be done?

Thank you so much for the reply after all we went through it seems a very simple step!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

1. No. Follow the Guides.

2. Yes. Read the instructions for Form I-864. You can file Form I-864w since your son will be a USC upon entry.

3. Its automatic, nothing needs to be done. However you may want to get a US passport and/or a certificate of citizenship.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are finally about to get all the paperwork together for my husbands now 13 year old son.

I have read the guidelines.

I am only confused by the I-1864w as it states an adopted child?

This is my husbands son born during his first marriage?

Can anyone clarify if we do file the I-1864w as this is not an adopted child?

Thank You

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.