Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Canadian Taxes with NO US Income

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out how to file my Canadian taxes, and it feels like I can't find the right answer! I arrived in the US at the end of November and did not have any US Income because I did not have my EAD until 2015.

Can we file online? or do we need to do this manually?

Anyone else in this situation?

Also, in future years, will I need to file a Canadian tax return (although no Canadian income) so that I can claim my National Student Loan interest credit?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You cannot file online. You have to paper file.

You can keep filing in Canada but unless you make income, you won't be getting anything back. It'll just sit there until it either expires or you move back and use it.

**not sure if h&r block etc, can file for you.. I know you cannot use netfile**

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.