Patriots

k1 interview packet: birth certificate question

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

It says you need to bring a copy of their birth certificate. Does this birth cert have to be translated to english or is it acceptable in native langauge. i know the petition requires translated birth cert but in the interview list of items to bring it does not go into detail.

Edited by Patriots

Filed: Timeline

It says you need to bring a copy of their birth certificate. Does this birth cert have to be translated to english or is it acceptable in native langauge. i know the petition requires translated birth cert but in the interview list of items to bring it does not go into detail.

It has to be translated to English.

What happens if the petitioner does NOT have their birth certificate? I dont have mine...but i thought if you have a US passport that was good enough.

What happens if the petitioner does NOT have their birth certificate? I dont have mine...but i thought if you have a US passport that was good enough.

You would have to photocopy every single page of the US passport and send that instead.

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

Your birth certificate does not have to be translated. In the letter you received, it should mention that papers are acceptable in English or the language of the country you're applying for (Greece in that case). All Embassy employees are perfectly capable of reading and understanding Greek. If, by any chance, the birth certificate is from another country, then, and only then you should have it translated in English.

Another thing you should clarify with them, is if they indeed need the birth cartificate (pistopiitiko genniseos) or the birth registry (lixiarchiki praxi genniseos). These are two different papers in Greece. My list of papers said birth cerificate, but when I went to the embassy for my interview, they told me they needed the birth registry. Luckily, I had both.

Good luck

greek_american_flag100.gif

Vda4m4.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Thank you Kev for response Who should I clarify with? The embassy? I do not want to run into problem over paperwork for sure. She has her original birth cert from city she was borne in but now I am hearing there is possibly more documents required and I am totally lost.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

If she is Greek, her birth certificate is in Greek and she will be interviewed in Athens, then you don't need to translate the certificate in English.

As for the birth registry, she can either call and ask them or send them an email. If it easy for her to obtain both, I would suggest to do so.

greek_american_flag100.gif

Vda4m4.png

• 9 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I have a similar question.

I am the beneficiary and I don't have my birth certificate as it was lost. I was born in Iraq and currently living in New Zealand.

What should I do?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.