LykaMarc

IMBRA Waiver Question for Interview at Manila Embassy

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Folks,

In my 1-129(F), I requested an IMBRA waiver for "multiple filings," due to the fact that I have filed two K-1 visa petitions previously. The first one was filed in 2001, and the second was filed in 2007. I married BOTH previous fiancees within 90 days of their arrival in the US, and both marriages lasted about 5 years. Both of those wives became permanent residents, and then both later became naturalized US citizens.

In my current K-1 petition, I wrote the IMBRA waiver request letter, and USCIS granted the waiver, and approved my petition. My current fiancee is scheduled for interview in Manila next month, and I intend to be present at the interview.

I will have both divorce decrees for my previous wives, and I still have their A numbers. There was never any issue of domestic violence. The marriages simply didn't work out.

QUESTION: Are my previous marriages to Filipinas that were petitioned as fiancees likely to be an issue for the consular officer doing the interview, given that USCIS already approved my IMBRA waiver request? Has anyone dealt with this issue before during the K-1 interview in Manila? Thanks.

Edited by LykaMarc

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have done 3 K1 Visas. Did the waiver also.

2008 I Was married 3 years, and divorce. 2011 Filed K1 approved, never set interview, I eventually withdrew my petition. And recently just did my 3rd K1 and approved and now married.

All Philippines, and I had my interview in November 2014 and CO never mentioned my previous K1. CO asked us about 4 question and bam said you are approved.

I'm just thinking out loud here. IMHO that there are going to be questions about your past K-1 relationships. I think they will ask many questions concerning that. I think if you have a sign avadavat from your two exes outlining that the marriage didn't work out and that you do not have any of the following convictions:

Homicide, murder, manslaughter, rape, abusive sexual contact, sexual exploitation, incest, torture, trafficking, peonage, holding hostage, involuntary servitude, slave trade, kidnapping, abduction, unlawful criminal restraint, false imprisonment, or an attempt to commit any of these crimes.

I would get a criminal background check on yourself (you get one through your local county courthouse at a minimal charge) and bring it with you. Do use it unless you have to prove your background is clean. Keep it close to your vest if and until asked.01

During the interview be sure to answer all the questions truthfully. Look the CO in the eyes when you answer. DON'T volunteer any information UNLESS asked by the CO. They will drill you and they are good at their jobs.

Just my opinion and others may have a different take.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

It goes without saying that you must always tell the truth at the interview. Here, the actions of both of you were 100% legal and 100% above board, so I see nothing to hide anyway.

I requested and got a multiple filing waiver. Neither of my two priors made it to the interview stage. The waiver was granted without question or comment, and neither prior resulted in any questions being asked at the interview.

Will yours be different because it resulted in citizenship for your two ex-spouses? Since everythng you did was perfectly legal and honest, I don't think so, but always better to be prepared. Have both divorce decrees in hand (you need certified copies anyway to prove your eligibility to remarry). Some states issue separate "Findings of Fact", a separate document from the divorce decree to show why the divorce was given, If your state has that, you may wish to consider having certified copies of that on the ready in case any questions get asked as to why the marriages failed.

When your fiance goes for the CFO, they may ask the same out of concern that she might wind up in trouble being married to you, so give her the documents when she goes there just in case.

Most of all, don't worry. I don't see any problem here.

Edited by Al422

Timeline

When your fiance goes for the CFO, they may ask the same out of concern that she might wind up in trouble being married to you, so give her the documents when she goes there just in case.

Most of all, don't worry. I don't see any problem here.

CFO told my fiancé many times during CFO it was like "My Hobby" to divorce my wives, since I have had a few divorces in my life.

She told me she just smiled back and said nothing,

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

CFO told my fiancé many times during CFO it was like "My Hobby" to divorce my wives, since I have had a few divorces in my life.

She told me she just smiled back and said nothing,

My fiancée already got her CFO counseling certificate last November. They gave her a little grief, but no problem getting the certificate.

Hi Folks,

In my 1-129(F), I requested an IMBRA waiver for "multiple filings," due to the fact that I have filed two K-1 visa petitions previously. The first one was filed in 2001, and the second was filed in 2007. I married BOTH previous fiancees within 90 days of their arrival in the US, and both marriages lasted about 5 years. Both of those wives became permanent residents, and then both later became naturalized US citizens.

In my current K-1 petition, I wrote the IMBRA waiver request letter, and USCIS granted the waiver, and approved my petition. My current fiancee is scheduled for interview in Manila next month, and I intend to be present at the interview.

I will have both divorce decrees for my previous wives, and I still have their A numbers. There was never any issue of domestic violence. The marriages simply didn't work out.

QUESTION: Are my previous marriages to Filipinas that were petitioned as fiancees likely to be an issue for the consular officer doing the interview, given that USCIS already approved my IMBRA waiver request? Has anyone dealt with this issue before during the K-1 interview in Manila? Thanks.

It appears you have gotten two good experiences from members of this forum on their real world experiences with multiple marriages. Looks like you have your answer. Please return when the dust settles and let us know in this thread, what you experienced. We'd like to learn from you also.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.