Jump to content

Early prep for Pkg 3, 4?

8 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

We just received:
Application Type: I129F, PETITION FOR FIANCE(E)

Your Case Status: Post Decision Activity

On February 24, 2015, we approved your Form I129F, PETITION FOR FIANCE(E),

We are desperate to complete the entire visa process by our July wedding date. While waiting for the slow mail to arrive, can we start getting things ready for the Pkg 3, 4? My Fiance has already researched approved doctors and is making sure she has all her immunizations.

But can she also get the police check, fingerprinting started now? I was worried she might be jumping the gun. I think I read somewhere the medical has to be done within 6 months before the interview..

Any thoughts? comments are welcome.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

~Moved from K1 Process to Canada Regional Forum~

~Many of the questions are consulate/country-specific~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

> Almost 2 years of our lives involved with the USCIS/DOS "shuffle" & worth every second of it ! <

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca


:idea: Read more, post less.... Google can be your friend ! :idea:

Prior apologies if I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Keep your timeline current: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll need to complete packet 3 things before you're able to get an interview booked (medical should be booked close to the interview to play it safe). According the the packet 3 information (http://photos.state.gov/libraries/canada/303578/montreal/Packet3-K1-MTL.pdf), the police check has to obtained within a year of the visa appointment.

I'll add, it's not too early for you to start working on the I-134 for her.

Edited by CanadianGrrl

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, absolutely. All the information is out there for what you need, so start collecting it all now. That way, once your status switches to "Ready" on NVC (which may still only be a month from now), you can send in your packet 3 right away.

The new fiance letter of intent has to be dated within one month of the interview date, but things like getting long-form birth certificates may take a week or two. And for the Canadian consulates, you can only book the medical once you have an interview date, but getting all of her immunizations taken care of now would be smart.

You don't need fingerprints for the K1 Visa, just a Police Record Check.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks AndyMacK! We are getting the jump on a few things so turnaround on packet 3 will hopefully be quick.

Regarding the Police Background check.. We researched with the RCMP and "certified" background check requires fingerprints. Think the cost is $38.

We're assuming the police background check they want is the more detailed one that the RCMP handles. Not the local regional police that does the background checks for hockey coaches, supply teachers and the like?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

it feels like the more I read the more confused I become?!

Thanks Newbie for the link to the packet 3 information.. Question.. Where it says:

1. Confirmation receipt with barcode number from the completed Form DS-160. The system will automatically generate the confirmation receipt after you submit the form. The form is available online at https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/–SEND COPY OF THE CONFIRMATION RECEIPT ONLY BY E-MAIL. DO NOT SEND THE ENTIRE APPLICATION.

When are we supposed to complete the DS-160? Now? Or do we receive instructions of when to complete??

I followed the link but wasn't sure if I would be permitted to submit in advance. Our successfully completed I-129F has just been forwarded to NVC? We still haven't received anything in the mail.

Appreciate the help!


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Think I found it.. Our I-129F petition has been approved and sent to the NVC. We have not yet received any information by mail. So the DS-160 cannot be filed until the letter is received:
Once you receive this letter, inform your fiancé(e) to take the below-listed actions to apply for a K-1 visa and prepare for the interview.

We're so eager to get this done asap, I think we're jumping the gun and not following the process..


The First Step: Filing the Petition
  • You, the U.S. citizen sponsor, must file Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), with the USCIS office that serves the area where you live. See Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) for information on where to file the petition. Further information is available on the USCIS website under Fiancé(e) Visas.Note: Form I-129F cannot be filed at a U.S. Embassy, Consulate, or USCIS office abroad.
  • After USCIS approves the petition, it is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC). The NVC will give you a case number and send your petition to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where your fiancé(e) lives.
The Second Step: Applying for a Visa

The NVC will mail you a letter when it sends your fiancé(e) case to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Once you receive this letter, inform your fiancé(e) to take the below-listed actions to apply for a K-1 visa and prepare for the interview.

Eligible children of K-1 visa applicants may apply for K-2 visas. Separate applications must be submitted for each K visa applicant, and each K visa applicant must pay the visa application fee.

Required Documentation

You, the foreign-citizen fiancé(e), (and eligible children applying for K-2 visas) will be required to bring the following forms and documents to the visa interview:

  • Completed Form DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application. You (and any eligible children applying for K-4 visas) must: (1) complete Form DS-160 and (2) print the DS-160 confirmation page to bring to your intervew.
  • A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the U.S. (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions).
  • Divorce or death certificate(s) of any previous spouse(s) for both you and the U.S. citizen sponsor
  • Police certificates from your present country of residence and all countries where you have lived for six months or more since age 16 (Police certificates are also required for accompanying children age 16 or older)
  • Medical examination (vaccinations are optional, see below)
  • Evidence of financial support (Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, may be requested)
  • Two (2) 2x2 photographs. See the required photo format explained in Photograph Requirements
  • Evidence of relationship with your U.S. citizen fiancé(e)
  • Payment of fees, as explained below

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The link I gave you is part of the packet 3 notice you'll eventually get from the Montreal consulate (it took us about a month after NOA2 to hear from them). You can go ahead and complete the DS-160 now. Once you hear back from Montreal, you can send the e-mail as described, including the DS-160 confirmation receipt.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.