s-luvs-k

All Japan Filers

1,867 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Takeo, what happened that made things take so long? Did you guys have some missing documents or something?

Back when I submitted the I129F, Obama was pushing his Dream Act which allowed illegal immigants who were younger than 30 who came to the US before the age of 16, to apply to defer deportation. This caused a flood of paperwork for USCIS, especially California. It took 8 months for my NOA2. I had an RFE, but that was resolved quickly. It was weird, some I129fs were processed in the typical 4 months, others took 8-10 months or even longer. You can check my timeline or view Igor's list from last year. It was a nightmare for many. Once NOA2 was received and it moved over to the State and then the Consulate, things moved really quickly. The interview in Tokyo for my wife was a breeze as we had a lot of supporting documents. I hope the processing times have improved. I rarely frequent this forum because I've been busy getting married and trying to get back to somewhat of a normal life. We just had a second reception which we planned so I'm ready to just relax but greencard interview on 4/1. We have to fly to Honolulu, $360 in plane fare, but we are almost done.

Timeline

Saw your location as Honolulu and thought I'd drop a comment. It's been a long haul for us, actually waited a year for the K1. We go for our interview next Tuesday in Honolulu. My best advice is to use the Checklists during each step of the process. Try to find others with similar timelines and keep in touch with them. Follow the forum threads. Be patient and try your best to enjoy the journey. I flew to Japan twice while waiting for the visa to be approved, that was fun, although leaving was always difficult. Aloha!

Thanks for the advice man! I told the lady that it would probably be closer to a year or more anyhows. I'm a 'prepare for the worst, hope for the best', kind of guy.

I'm going Japan first Monday of April! We used to go every year when I was younger, but I haven't been there in about 13 years.

Good luck with the interview! Although it appears it's usually a breeze!

Timeline

Had our interview in Honolulu yesterday. The officer was very nice. She had a lot of questions, typical stuff like how did you meet, where did you meet, who proposed, where did you marry, did you meet each others parents, what do you love about each other that made you decide to marry, etc. My wife had to also answer questions to clarify that the information she provided was consistent and accurate like past employment, past trips to US, any history of being arrested, any marriage history, etc. She was nervous and got a bit mixed up on some dates and stuff but the officer was patient. We provided pictures and evidence of our relationship like joint bank accounts, medical coverage, joint rental aggreement, and stories of visits we had with each other. Officer said everything looked good.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hello Japan filers.

I found this thread just recently. My wife and I both live in Japan and are in the process gathering our I-130 packet to send to the Chicago Lockbox.

Here is a confusing question for me…

I am filling out the G325-A for my wife. I have to fill out the part where her parents were born. Both of them were born in small villages that merged with other villages to form larger towns about 8 or 9 years ago. So, do I write the name of the small village as it once existed or do I write the name of the large town that these villages are now a part of?

I - 130 sent 2014-04-18

Got NOA1 2014-04-22

I-130 approved 2014-05-14

NVC received 2014-05-23

DS-261/AOS bill 2014-07-01

Submit DS-261 2014-07-01

Paid AOS 2014-07-01

Sent AOS pack 2014-07-04

IV fee invoice ???

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

I was astounded yesterday to receive NOA2 text/email for our I-129F. 33 days from NOA1 to NOA2! We had braced for a much longer time. Still more to go but pretty excited that happened so fast. I'm sure spending time on this site helped avoid any mistakes/RFEs!

Timeline

I was astounded yesterday to receive NOA2 text/email for our I-129F. 33 days from NOA1 to NOA2! We had braced for a much longer time. Still more to go but pretty excited that happened so fast. I'm sure spending time on this site helped avoid any mistakes/RFEs!

I heard things have speeded up but 33 days is amazing, consider yourself lucky. When I applied, I waited 9 months for NOA2, the rest was quite quick and we kinda worked on it at our leisure because my wife wasn't able to fly during the hot season with her dog and rabbit. Good luck on your journey, use the checklists provided. There's a lot of misinformation which can be confusing. I've forgotten much of all the details, probably my way of releasing all the stress I went through. My wife got a notice the other day that her green card is approved. It's been quite a journey, but so worth it. Good luck and congrats on the NOA2!

Timeline

I have 2 questions for Japan filers who sent their I-130 petition to the Chicago Lockbox.

1. Did you get your translations (of marriage certificate, etc.) notarized in the case of self-translation or otherwise?

2. Did you send your spouse’s Japanese family register (with translation) with your I-130?

My father called USCIS and someone said they required notarization for self-translations as well as family register. I have read conflicting information on this site. I would like to know if anyone of you who have actually filed and were approved could shed some light on this for me. Thank you very much.

I - 130 sent 2014-04-18

Got NOA1 2014-04-22

NVC received 2014-05-23

Submit DS-261 2014-07-01

Paid AOS 2014-07-01

Sent AOS pack 2014-07-04

IV fee invoice ???

Timeline

I have 2 questions for Japan filers who sent their I-130 petition to the Chicago Lockbox.

1. Did you get your translations (of marriage certificate, etc.) notarized in the case of self-translation or otherwise?

2. Did you send your spouses Japanese family register (with translation) with your I-130?

My father called USCIS and someone said they required notarization for self-translations as well as family register. I have read conflicting information on this site. I would like to know if anyone of you who have actually filed and were approved could shed some light on this for me. Thank you very much.

Hello,

1. Yes we did at the us consulate. I don't think it's required by USCIS. However we did it just in case and for the future uses in the states.

2. No we didn't include japanese family resister (koseki) with our I-130.

And we just received an approval letter.

Hopefully this will help and good luck! ☻

Timeline

Thanks for the reply. We sent our packet on Friday (4/18) and we did not include the koseki nor did we get notarization. Enough people said that neither are required and making an appointment and going out to Tokyo to the embassy on a weekday when I normally have work would have been a huge hassle and delayed our filing so we just decided to send everything out ASAP. Hopefully we did everything right. I also only sent a copy of my full passport because I was unable to send my birth certificate copy and every source I have seen says US passport copy is acceptable. Anyone else do it with only the passport? Will I need the birth certificate later on in the process?

I - 130 sent 2014-04-18

Got NOA1 2014-04-22

NVC received 2014-05-23

Submit DS-261 2014-07-01

Paid AOS 2014-07-01

Sent AOS pack 2014-07-04

IV fee invoice ???

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I sent in the I-129F around 4/4, 4/12 received text/email that the case has been accepted and they're routing it to California for processing, checked status and 4/23 they mailed notice that it has been approved. Finally got home from visiting her in Japan 4/30, checked mail and it said it is now being sent to NVC.

Timeline

konnichiwa , I'm Japan filers too , we filed our IR1/IR2 (1-130) last 4/23 Got NOA1 4/30 routed to CSC for initial review . now waiting for NOA2 . yorushiku onegaishimasu :)

Timeline

I sent in the I-129F around 4/4, 4/12 received text/email that the case has been accepted and they're routing it to California for processing, checked status and 4/23 they mailed notice that it has been approved. Finally got home from visiting her in Japan 4/30, checked mail and it said it is now being sent to NVC.

Konbanwa.

Wow! Congrats for the fast NOA2 Approval :dancing:

You can join the Forum of K1 April 2014 Filers in this link so we can share infos and timeline.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/489205-april-2014-filers/page-9

Keep us posted and share your fiancee`s interview experience in US Embassy Tokyo.

Edited by nadeshiko

04/12/2014: I-129F sent
04/15/2014: Delivered at Lewisville TX
04/18/2014: USCIS Acceptance Confirmation

04/22/2014: Alien Registration Number changed
04/24/2014: NOA1 Hard Copy received (Notice Date: 4/17)
06/12/2014: RFE Hard Copy received (Notice Date: 6/06)
06/19/2014: RFE Reply sent (Delivered: 6/20)
07/08/2014: NOA2 received

07/31/2014: Packet 3 received

08/06/2014: Packet 4 received via e-mail

08/21/2014: Medical Exam

09/02/2014: Interview

09/04/2014: CEAC Status: ISSUED

09/09/2014: VISA on hand

I want to be better,stronger,kinder

simply because I know you.
This is what Love does to me.

Timeline

konnichiwa , I'm Japan filers too , we filed our IR1/IR2 (1-130) last 4/23 Got NOA1 4/30 routed to CSC for initial review . now waiting for NOA2 . yorushiku onegaishimasu :)

Kochira koso yoroshiku onegaishimasu :goofy:

You can join the Forum of April 2014 I-130 Filers in this link:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/490471-april-2014-i-130-filers/page-10

Godbless in this journey.

04/12/2014: I-129F sent
04/15/2014: Delivered at Lewisville TX
04/18/2014: USCIS Acceptance Confirmation

04/22/2014: Alien Registration Number changed
04/24/2014: NOA1 Hard Copy received (Notice Date: 4/17)
06/12/2014: RFE Hard Copy received (Notice Date: 6/06)
06/19/2014: RFE Reply sent (Delivered: 6/20)
07/08/2014: NOA2 received

07/31/2014: Packet 3 received

08/06/2014: Packet 4 received via e-mail

08/21/2014: Medical Exam

09/02/2014: Interview

09/04/2014: CEAC Status: ISSUED

09/09/2014: VISA on hand

I want to be better,stronger,kinder

simply because I know you.
This is what Love does to me.

Timeline

Konbanwa.

Wow! Congrats for the fast NOA2 Approval :dancing:

You can join the Forum of K1 April 2014 Filers in this link so we can share infos and timeline.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/489205-april-2014-filers/page-9

Keep us posted and share your fiancee`s interview experience in US Embassy Tokyo.

Thank you very much! Kind of surprised with an 11 day turnaround!

I chose Osaka so I hope it's not the US Embassy in Tokyo....lol.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.