s-luvs-k

All Japan Filers

1,867 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
Hey, I was hoping someone can straighten something out for me:

I'm married, in the US, and trying to get my wife in on a CR-1 visa. It's at the NVC now, and my wife is waiting in Japan.

In various threads on this forum, people seem to suggest that the NVC schedules interviews, and that the interviews "book up" for a given month and are then postponed to the following month. But I was under the impression that once NVC is finished with your petition, they send it off to the embassy in Tokyo and the embassy schedules the interview date. I see seemingly conflicting information in people's timelines, as well.

The basic question is: If you are doing a CR-1 visa which will culminate in an interview in Tokyo, who schedules the interview? NVC in Portsmouth, NH, or the embassy in Tokyo?

Cheers

Hi Uncle_Wally,

The NVC schedules the appointment for you and will send you your interview date in a letter. If you need to change that date (push it back for some reason) you would have to contact the embassy to do so. I am not sure if you will get pushed back a month because of it being "booked up" but I have heard it before. It didn't happen to us even though NVC said it was very likely. I'm not sure if it affected the outcome or not but I did go there for the interview. There was a lot of waiting but they didn't really ask any questions. If you want more info you can read the entry on my timeline or send me a note.

I hope you get done at the NVC soon and can get your interview date and all goes smoothly! :)

Thanks, buddy- that answers some questions.

We had an RFE but it was very straightforward and I got it sorted in a day. Hopefully things sail along smoothly and my wife can be here to use the season's pass I bought her to the local ski area.

Go listen to some free beats:

http://beatbasement.com/bb.htm

Timeline

We had an RFE but it was very straightforward and I got it sorted in a day. Hopefully things sail along smoothly and my wife can be here to use the season's pass I bought her to the local ski area.

NP, Uncle_Wally! :)

We are about an hour away from the nearest ski slope here but we hope to go a couple of times this winter. I hope that your wife can come over soon! :)

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention that my wife just got her Green Card on Friday (11/21/2008) and we are so excited! :D

Edited by Justin and Masako

- Justin and Masako

"The World is Open. Are You?"

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

NP, Uncle_Wally! :)

We are about an hour away from the nearest ski slope here but we hope to go a couple of times this winter. I hope that your wife can come over soon! :)

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention that my wife just got her Green Card on Friday (11/21/2008) and we are so excited! :D

I am so happy I checked in ( first time in weeks ). My sincere congrats to you. This is wonderful news. Have fun on the slopes and we are really happy, your

wife finally got the GC. Exciting times. Take care everyone.

Timeline
Hey, I was hoping someone can straighten something out for me:

I'm married, in the US, and trying to get my wife in on a CR-1 visa. It's at the NVC now, and my wife is waiting in Japan.

In various threads on this forum, people seem to suggest that the NVC schedules interviews, and that the interviews "book up" for a given month and are then postponed to the following month. But I was under the impression that once NVC is finished with your petition, they send it off to the embassy in Tokyo and the embassy schedules the interview date. I see seemingly conflicting information in people's timelines, as well.

The basic question is: If you are doing a CR-1 visa which will culminate in an interview in Tokyo, who schedules the interview? NVC in Portsmouth, NH, or the embassy in Tokyo?

Cheers

The initial interview date is set by NVC. At the time I was reading about certain cut-off dates, end of the month, second Tuesday and more. In the end, none of that materialized. NVC scheduled me for a date 6 weeks in advance. I found an e-mail form to connect to the Tokyo Embassy on the Embassy's Japanese language website ( it was not

available on the English language site ) and they rescheduled me within 4 hours for a much more desirable date, which was just one week away. I wish you luck.

Timeline
I am so happy I checked in ( first time in weeks ). My sincere congrats to you. This is wonderful news. Have fun on the slopes and we are really happy, your

Thanks YOUTOO! :D

I hope everything is going well for you two as well! :)

- Justin and Masako

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline
About how long should it take between sending in Packet 3 and receiving Packet 4 and your interview date at the Tokyo Embassy? Thanks!

Also based on this page (http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/visa/tvisa-niv-k.html), after we have sent in Packet 3 with the DS230 (which we did on 11/14), do we wait the embassy to send us a letter, or can we go right to step 6 and schedule a visa interview (of course we will have all the documents ready). Thanks!

Timeline
About how long should it take between sending in Packet 3 and receiving Packet 4 and your interview date at the Tokyo Embassy? Thanks!

Also based on this page (http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/visa/tvisa-niv-k.html), after we have sent in Packet 3 with the DS230 (which we did on 11/14), do we wait the embassy to send us a letter, or can we go right to step 6 and schedule a visa interview (of course we will have all the documents ready). Thanks!

Check some timelines, every case is different. With us it took a ;ittle longer than 8 weeks, but we had an RFE. As far as interview scheduling, there will be nothing you can do about that. You will be given an interview date by NVC. This is if you have applied for a CR/IR1, your profile does not tell us anything. Good luck.

Thanks YOUTOO! :D

I hope everything is going well for you two as well! :)

Things are splendid. Great to be "free". Happy Thanksgiving!

Timeline

If the embassy received Packet 3 about two weeks ago, but have not yet sent us Packet 4. Is it okay to go ahead and have my fiancee go do her medical exam in Tokyo before we recieve Packet 4? We will be there together at the end of December, and would like to do it then so that she doesn't have to make another trip up to Tokyo to do the medical exam. Thanks!

Timeline
If the embassy received Packet 3 about two weeks ago, but have not yet sent us Packet 4. Is it okay to go ahead and have my fiancee go do her medical exam in Tokyo before we recieve Packet 4? We will be there together at the end of December, and would like to do it then so that she doesn't have to make another trip up to Tokyo to do the medical exam. Thanks!

She can but she will need her case number and interview date. I have heard that some places even require the interview date letter.

- Justin and Masako

Timeline

Greetings to all other Japanese filers!

Not much to report...

I start my journey last week. They just cashed my check yesterday so I guess things are moving. :rolleyes:

I hope everyone journey is going smooth. I may be back later for questions about my fiance's impending trip to the Sapporo consulate. I thought the I-129F package was annoying but not really that difficult. I am glad I didn't hire a lawyer so far. I am preying for no RFE!

Our Timeline

10.13.08 - Engaged!

11.25.08 - I-129F mailed

12.02.08 - Check cashed

12.05.08 - NOA1 received

03.17.09 - Received Email stating that I-129F Petition is approved (NOA2)

03.21.09 - Received NOA2 in the mail

03.26.09 - Received letter from NVC stating that they received and approved the I-129F Petition

04.01.09 - Packet 3 Received

04.06.09 - Packet 3 Sent

06.04.09 - Packet 4 Received

06.29.09 - Interview Date

07.01.09 - K1 VISA RECEIVED!!!

07.25.09 - POE - JFK

09.12.09 - Wedding!

09.21.09 - AOS,EAD,AP mailed

09.30.09 - Check cashed

10.05.09 - NOA1 received (AOS,EAD,AP)

10.26.09 - Received Notice of Transfer (AOS transfered to CSC)

10.28.09 - Biometrics Appointment

11.02.09 - AP Received

11.09.09 - EAD Received

11.12.09 - SSN Application accepted at SSA office

12.01.09 - AOS NOA2 Received (Approved - Welcome to U.S.A.)

12.04.09 - Green Card received in mail (Permanent Resident Card)

12.15.09 - Social Security Card received (with work authorization condition)

08.26.11 - I-751 Mailed

09.04.11 - NOA received

06.04.12 - I-751 Approved

06.14.12 - GC Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

My SO and I were talking about when she should quit her job.

She got her interview scheduled for 1/20 and has gone through her medical and police record. From this point on is there a chance she could be denied or could it be safe for her to quit her job?

If she waits until after her interview to quit her job; she may not be here until March and I was hoping she would be here no later than February.

Thanks for any input

Timeline
My SO and I were talking about when she should quit her job.

She got her interview scheduled for 1/20 and has gone through her medical and police record. From this point on is there a chance she could be denied or could it be safe for her to quit her job?

If she waits until after her interview to quit her job; she may not be here until March and I was hoping she would be here no later than February.

Thanks for any input

There's always a chance, true for anything. So it may be better for her to quit her job after the interview, and be a month late, because if she were to be denied, then she'd be in Japan without a job. Months without a job or just an extra month (I know it's tough) of waiting? IMO, the month of waiting is better.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.