PaulineA

Can I get an ead?

44 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
I would get an EAD for the dog, it would probably come quicker!..just kidding.

If you can afford to apply for an EAD I would, statistically it seems (ok my observation) that AOS is taking long time for those of us from the UK. Probably due to the common names and namecheck hell.

Thanks for your reply. How much does the ead cost?

I doubt it'll cause any issues with you bringing your dog. After all you entered the US legally and you were inspected when you entered (did they know you were bringing your dog?). Anyway, people travel with their pets often (even to other countries), especially if their trip is more than a week or two.
Yes they were aware that I brought my dog with me. He got transported through a pet transport company.

[color=#800080]AOS

Lawyer sent Aos package 07-27-2007

Medical 08-01-2007

Check cashed -08-23-2007

NOA - 08-27-2007

Biometrics scheduled - 09-12-2007

Biometrics for EAD and AOS 09-12-2007

Received RFE for medical and co-sponsor tax returns

(Tax returns were sent) also letter from employer

needed, and last 6 months pay stubs.

RFE: 09-11-2007

Sent RFE back to lawyer 10-10-2007

EAD card production ordered 06-11-2007

EAD received 17-11-2007

Interview date for 01-08-2008[/color]

Approved! Card Production ordered 01-08-2008

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need either your green card or EAD to work legally. I think that may be the least of your worries as you have show that you had no immigrant intent and I suspect your dog coming with you is going to raise interesting questions in that regard. Does your dog have a pet passport? Good luck non the less.

Yes my dog has a pet passport, I got him one before I came here, it was valid for two years. I can see what your saying about questions being asked. I didn't come here with intentions of staying, I had a return ticket, and my dog was booked on the flight back with me. I didn't even bring anything but 3 months of clothes with me.

Pauline I am not making a judgement, just pointing out the obvious which I am sure you had already considered. Personally I wouldn't volunteer the information about the dog unless specifically asked. The pet passport is a good thing from your point of view as presumably your re entry was at Manchester where they have Animal Reception Facilities, you can not use the pet passport scheme in Scotland for dogs from the USA for some reason unbeknown to me. :unsure: I would be interested to know how it goes when you reach the Interview stage as it is certainly one of the more unusual questions I have seen posed on here. Good luck.

To many people, dogs and cats are like children to them. Why would someone bringing their dog on holiday cause suspicion to an immigration officer? Would someone bringing their children with them on holiday to the US be suspect as well? Of course not! lol

I think some people are grasping at straws here....I can't imagine that AOS interviewers ask anyone, routinely, if they brought their dog with them when they came here, thus proving they had premeditated intentions of marrying a USC and immigrating to the US..... Just a thought ;)

Whatever happiness is in the world has arisen from a wish for the welfare of others; whatever misery there is has arisen from indulging self - The Buddha

"The two most important things in life are to find God and Love - everything else can wait"-George Harrison

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Timeline

3/30/2007 Sent I-130/AOS/EAD to Chicago Lockbox

4/2/2007 Package delivered (Day 1)

4/11/2007 Checks Cashed (Day 9)

4/14/2007 NOA1 in mail (Day12)

4/16/2007 Biometrics Appt Letter for May 1st r'cvd in mail (Day14)

4/24/2007 EAD and I-130 touched online (no email yet...) (Day 22)

5/1/2007 Biometrics appt in Atlanta (Day 29)

5/3/2007 Ead and AOS touched (Day 31)

5/29/2007 Interview Appt Letter (Day 57)

6/18/2007 EAD Approval Notice (email) (Day 77)

6/23/2007 EAD Card Rcv'd in Mail (Day 82)

7/24/2007 Interview in Atlanta(Day 112)

7/24/2007 AOS Approved! Whew! Glad that's over!

.png

Filed: Country: Ireland
Timeline
To many people, dogs and cats are like children to them. Why would someone bringing their dog on holiday cause suspicion to an immigration officer? Would someone bringing their children with them on holiday to the US be suspect as well? Of course not! lol

I think some people are grasping at straws here....I can't imagine that AOS interviewers ask anyone, routinely, if they brought their dog with them when they came here, thus proving they had premeditated intentions of marrying a USC and immigrating to the US..... Just a thought ;)

I am glad you raised the point of children, just like pets having them in your home country tends to show strong evidence of ties to that country and non immigrant intent. Most people could not afford to take 90 days vacation which is the maximum time allowed in the US under the VWP and the children would not have 90 days school vacation time either, so if someone arrived with kids in tow for 90 days that would equally give rise to suspicion as to intent.

Having a return ticket for the maximum time permitted in itself raises red flags. The vast majority of people entering from the UK on VWP do so for a 2 week vacation not for 90 days. ANYTHING out of the ordinary pattern of a vacation visitor raises a red flag.

The OP has that issue to deal with before any others.

I deliberately asked the question about the pet passport because if the dog did not have a chip then it is an automatic 6 months quarantine on return to the UK and the " I could not bear to be parted from my pet for 3 months " argument collapses instantly. Likewise I wanted to know where the return ticket was to. There are a limited number of POE in the UK that you can enter with an animal, so once again the issue could have been raised.

Where people are called for a secondary interview they are subjected to questioning a whole lot more personal than did you bring a pet, so your assertion that an IO would not follow such lines of questioning is incorrect.

Always remember that in a situation where the applicant is AOS from VWP the onus is not on the IO to prove you had immigrant intent but rather on the applicant showing that they did not have such intent. Anything that may give rise to issues over this a potential difficulty. I am not grasping at straws it isn't my application, but to suggest to the OP it is OK to live with the misconception that there is no possibility that the dog could be raised as an issue and everything will be fine is plain bad advice.

Just another thought ;)

Edited by DelcoCouple
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gifDei beannacht agus sláinte go thú agus tú uile anseo!3dflagsdotcom_irela_2faws.gif

I'll be sure to it on the list of potential questions for our AOS interview, then :) lol

"How did you meet each other?

Did you intend to marry when you came to visit the US?

Did you intend to immigrate to the US upon your arrival at the POE?

Can you prove you had no intention of immigrating to the US before your visit? (ie: family/work ties or unfinished and ongoing business in the UK, etc.)....

Ok! No problem, you've passed!!....welcome to America! :D

Oh wait...one more important thing.....

Did you bring your dog with you? YOU DID???!!! :o:o:o

AH-HAAAA! FORGET IT! DENIED! Go back where you came from....sneaky #######!! " :protest:

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Ya never know though, do ya? :)

Whatever happiness is in the world has arisen from a wish for the welfare of others; whatever misery there is has arisen from indulging self - The Buddha

"The two most important things in life are to find God and Love - everything else can wait"-George Harrison

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Timeline

.png

it's really odd, I've never seen one person who adjusted from something other than a K-1 or K-3 visa report being asked about their intentions upon entering the US......anyone here ever had an AOS interview experience where they were asked if thier intent was to immigration from one of these other Visa types?

Reason I ask is that I see all these dire warnings, but then have never, ever seen someone report that they were asked about this.

Edited by jane2005

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Timeline
I'll be sure to it on the list of potential questions for our AOS interview, then :) lol

"How did you meet each other?

Did you intend to marry when you came to visit the US?

Did you intend to immigrate to the US upon your arrival at the POE?

Can you prove you had no intention of immigrating to the US before your visit? (ie: family/work ties or unfinished and ongoing business in the UK, etc.)....

Ok! No problem, you've passed!!....welcome to America! :D

Oh wait...one more important thing.....

Did you bring your dog with you? YOU DID???!!! :o:o:o

AH-HAAAA! FORGET IT! DENIED! Go back where you came from....sneaky #######!! " :protest:

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Ya never know though, do ya? :)

You might want to spend a few moments reading the information HERE lest you run away with the idea that it is all a mere formality ;)

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gifDei beannacht agus sláinte go thú agus tú uile anseo!3dflagsdotcom_irela_2faws.gif

Well I brought my cat with me. I almost hope they ask me about the cat. I'll offer to let the AO keep the cat for a few weeks and see why I wanted to bring him with me and not leave him in a kennel or with someone else.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

I-765

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

Removal of Conditions:

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Ya never know though, do ya?

No, you don't.

Since none of us will be making the adjudication decision on this OP's case, or any other case here, all we can do as posters is point out obvious inconsistencies or potential that she might want to investigate.

If you are unsure about your own case, you should seek a paid legal opinion and stick with it. The information you will get in private, from a lawyer, is different than the information you will get here.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline
it's really odd, I've never seen one person who adjusted from something other than a K-1 or K-3 visa report being asked about their intentions upon entering the US......anyone here ever had an AOS interview experience where they were asked if thier intent was to immigration from one of these other Visa types?

Reason I ask is that I see all these dire warnings, but then have never, ever seen someone report that they were asked about this.

Maybe they had no Internet access after they were deported :P There are stated cases where people have been refused on the basis of immigrant intent should you care to use the search function. It is unusual in that most AOS form VWP appear to be fairly plain sailing, however that I am sure is due in no small [part to the applicants being adequately prepared and able to deal with the questioning. It does no harm to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

If you want some reading on actual experiences at various offices this site isn't bad

http://www.kamya.com/interview/130int2.html

Same here.....I would think that most interviewers are more interested in catching "mail order" bride type fraudulent marriages rather than people deciding to get married after they come into the US as a visitor. At least that's what I gather from filling out the forms, etc. It mainly wants you to provide information that shows you are in fact, in a "bonifide" marriage and not a fradulent marriage just to obtain a green card for an alien, since that's the quickest way for an immigrant to enter the US as a legal immigrant.

Now I could be wrong, but it seems like there would be no forgiving overstays or marriages while on Visitor Visas by the authorities at USCIS if the goal was to catch people not following the K-1 process exclusively. It's not illegal or they wouldn't approve anyone who does it that way, right? They'd deport 'em if it were, cause they can.... ;)

Our Timeline

.png

Timeline
Well I brought my cat with me. I almost hope they ask me about the cat. I'll offer to let the AO keep the cat for a few weeks and see why I wanted to bring him with me and not leave him in a kennel or with someone else.

Across a land border rather than a trans oceanic flight. There is a difference in that it is not so unusual for Canadians to transport pets as it is for people from the UK. I am not saying it is the end of the world and will for sure cause a problem. All I am saying is be aware of the potential it has to raise a red flag in the circumstances as described by the OP. It may or may not ever be raised as an issue. But I see no harm in drawing attention to it. The only person whose opinion on this matter actually counts is the IO conducting the interview. But if the OP is forewarned they are forearmed. Sheeesh I didn't intend to start pet wars :P

Timeline
Same here.....I would think that most interviewers are more interested in catching "mail order" bride type fraudulent marriages rather than people deciding to get married after they come into the US as a visitor. At least that's what I gather from filling out the forms, etc. It mainly wants you to provide information that shows you are in fact, in a "bonifide" marriage and not a fradulent marriage just to obtain a green card for an alien, since that's the quickest way for an immigrant to enter the US as a legal immigrant.

Now I could be wrong, but it seems like there would be no forgiving overstays or marriages while on Visitor Visas by the authorities at USCIS if the goal was to catch people not following the K-1 process exclusively. It's not illegal or they wouldn't approve anyone who does it that way, right? They'd deport 'em if it were, cause they can.... ;)

You might want to do some bedtime reading and revise those opinions ;)

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/statist...05_Yearbook.pdf

You might want to spend a few moments reading the information HERE lest you run away with the idea that it is all a mere formality ;)

That info pertains to "fraudulent marriages" which indicates that the marriage, itself, is fake.... that the couple are only married so that the alien can obtain a greencard, which doesn't apply in my case.

Our Timeline

.png

That's ok, maybe the dog will be an issue, who knows. I still haven't seen anyone who was denied their AOS due to immigration intent. Can you insert some of the links to the threads that reference this? I can't seem to find any using the search function.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

I-765

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

Removal of Conditions:

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.