xwind

Help! Is there any way to expedite getting Japan police certificate?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We made a big mistake and should've thought about this much earlier. We have just gotten our MNL case # and are about to schedule for an interview, however we don't have my beneficiary's police certificates yet!

We knew the NBI and Philippine police certificates would be easy to get so we planned on getting them after our NOA2 so that they would be recent, but we hadn't accounted for Japan, we thought that would be included as part of the Philippine police certificate! My fiance worked in Japan for exactly 6 months back in Feb-Aug 2005, which is almost 10 years ago. Looking through some posts here on VJ, it seems getting the police certificate from Japan Embassy takes about 2-3 months.....

Is there any way to expedite getting the Japan certificate? Should we hold off on scheduling her USEM interview and medical interview until we get it? ...another 2-3 month wait would suck... :crying:

12-01-2014: Sent I-129F package via FedEx

12-03-2014: Package arrived at TSC

12-08-2014: Check cashed

12-12-2014: NOA1 hard copy

01-23-2015: USCIS status: Case was Approved

01-30-2015: NOA2 hard copy

02-02-2015: USCIS sent K1 package to NVC

02-10-2015: NVC received K1 package

02-11-2015: Date that NVC supposedly assigned case number

02-18-2015: Called NVC and asked for case number

02-23-2015: Paid MRV Fee

03-02-2015: Scheduled USEM interview appointment

03-02-2015: NVC letter received

03-09-2015: Medical interview

04-23-2015: USEM interview, got 221g email, CEAC status: Immigrant AP

04-28-2015: CFO Seminar, sent 221g response

04-29-2015: USEM received 221g response

04-30-2015: CEAC status date updated

06-17-2015: CEAC status: Non-Immigrant Ready

06-27-2015: CEAC status: Non-Immigrant AP

07-01-2015: Visa in hand! (CEAC still AP lol)

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

We made a big mistake and should've thought about this much earlier. We have just gotten our MNL case # and are about to schedule for an interview, however we don't have my beneficiary's police certificates yet!

We knew the NBI and Philippine police certificates would be easy to get so we planned on getting them after our NOA2 so that they would be recent, but we hadn't accounted for Japan, we thought that would be included as part of the Philippine police certificate! My fiance worked in Japan for exactly 6 months back in Feb-Aug 2005, which is almost 10 years ago. Looking through some posts here on VJ, it seems getting the police certificate from Japan Embassy takes about 2-3 months.....

Is there any way to expedite getting the Japan certificate? Should we hold off on scheduling her USEM interview and medical interview until we get it? ...another 2-3 month wait would suck... :crying:

No way to expedite the Japanese police certificate that I know of.

BTW you don't need a police certificate from the Philippines, only the NBI for travel abroad.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Hey Hank_, do you think we should proceed with the BPI payment, medical, and schedule our interview for about 2 months from now? Hopefully we'll have the Japan clearance before the interview, if not, we'll just expect a 221g and follow up after.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

No harm in trying to do that. You may need to contact the embassy to get a letter for requesting the police certificate from Japan if memory serves.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

xwind, on 18 Feb 2015 - 3:57 PM, said:

This came from another thread:

Japanese Police Clearance

I was referring to the Japanese Embassy staff. She just went straight to the Japanese Embassy. We were only 2 months into the wait on the petition when she made the request, so the only letter we had from USCIS was the NOA 1. The Japanese staff were helpful and all they really wanted to know was what visa she was applying for and what country she would be going to. She told me the staff just looked at the NOA 1 and then took down her information and then had her pay the fee. They also told her that she should call them at the end of each month to check to see if the certificate had come yet or not. The Japanese Embassy always says it could take up to 3 months, but they tend to come faster. The certificate comes sealed and it is already in English so you don't have to worry about translations.

It is also really helpful to bring her alien registration card from Japan. It will make the process a little quicker if she can show it when she goes.

Last October 7, 2013, i went to Japan Embassy Manila to request for my Japan Police Certificate since like you, i've lived in Japan for almost 3 years as well. Based on my experience, when the Japanese lady in the window called me, i just told her that i will request for police clearance then she gave me instructions to go to Camp Crame to get my finger prints done. She didn't asked me for any letter from the US Embassy. But just in case, bring your photocopy of your NOA1 or any documents that will prove you are currently applying for K-1 Visa. You should have your 1x1 or 2x2 photo for your finger prints. So now, i am still waiting for it. they said it will be 2-3 months til you get your police clearance but a lot here says that its just 1 month to 1 1/2 month.

From <http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/463089-japan-police-certificate/>

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Xwind,

We are in the same boat as you are, we too processed the police certificate from the Japanese embassy very late but we are going ahead and go through the interview without the certificate. My fiancee hasn't been to Japan in ten years so at the interview we will not mention anything about the job in Japan and hope they don't ask about it. If they asked if she worked there then of course she will say yes.

Please note after three weeks when we requested for the police certificate the Japanese embassy called my fiancee and asked "what was the request for?" My fiancee said K-1. Then she asked "for the Philippines embassy?" and my fiancee said no "for the US embassy". "Then it was written wrong here." At the embassy my fiancee told them K-1 for the USEM but we didn't check the paper before we signed off so make sure they put the right embassy.

Timeline

Hello Xwind, ive been through that and done the hapan embassy called me the other day that my police dertificate is ready to pick up anytime by now :), as far as i experienced i just straight to japan embassy manila (is the fastest) without any letter from us embassy they just nothing to ask you but a valid passport and fill up forms and they will instruct you to go at camp crame to have your finger prints done(i advice to get in crame early coz this people there are to slow in accomodating you) then get back to japan embassy give the finger prints form and they will give you a form to fill up check the box of US embassy were they address your certificate and your done and its for free and dont forget to bring extra ID and also a 2x2 picture for camp crame...i hope this help you...you can go straight and get a request of your fiance certificate now the japanese CO's are very helpful too and there is filipino staff there to help her :)

Good LUCK :)

jeanie&jerry, on 19 Feb 2015 - 01:18 AM, said:

Xwind,

We are in the same boat as you are, we too processed the police certificate from the Japanese embassy very late but we are going ahead and go through the interview without the certificate. My fiancee hasn't been to Japan in ten years so at the interview we will not mention anything about the job in Japan and hope they don't ask about it. If they asked if she worked there then of course she will say yes.

Please note after three weeks when we requested for the police certificate the Japanese embassy called my fiancee and asked "what was the request for?" My fiancee said K-1. Then she asked "for the Philippines embassy?" and my fiancee said no "for the US embassy". "Then it was written wrong here." At the embassy my fiancee told them K-1 for the USEM but we didn't check the paper before we signed off so make sure they put the right embassy.

Can you tell me if you paid a fee to either the Japanese Embassy or to Camp Crame for the processing of your police clearance application? If so to whom did you have to pay and how much were you asked to pay.

Thanks.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

xwind, on 18 Feb 2015 - 3:57 PM, said:

In further research I found that if you have a relative or a friend located in Japan they can go emplace of you to secure your clearance. More information here: http://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/visiting/consular/policeclearance.html scroll to the bottom. Your going to need to gather all the documents required (NOA-1, copy of the passport, copy of the alien card and letter to introduce the person you are designating). I have read that it can take about 2 weeks their in Japan to receive the completed document. Of course you will have expedite charges there and back through someone like DHL or FedEx.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

You guys truly are a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for your expertise and experiences!

Xwind,

That sounds almost exactly like our situation. I too have a feeling they may not ask for the police clearance given that she hasn't been to Japan for nearly 10 yrs (9.5 yrs from now to be exact). I almost regret even noting it under her G325A form, because it only asks for employment and addresses in the last 5 years... I put her last occupation in Japan under the "Last occupation abroad if not shown above." We're still going to try to have the police clearance for the interview just to be safe, but we're not going to let it stop us from preparing everything else. I think what we'll do is schedule our USEM interview 2 months after we request the PC, then do her medical interview in the meantime. If we get it the PC before the interview, great, if not then we'll just see how the interview goes.

In further research I found that if you have a relative or a friend located in Japan they can go emplace of you to secure your clearance. More information here: http://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/visiting/consular/policeclearance.html scroll to the bottom. Your going to need to gather all the documents required (NOA-1, copy of the passport, copy of the alien card and letter to introduce the person you are designating). I have read that it can take about 2 weeks their in Japan to receive the completed document. Of course you will have expedite charges there and back through someone like DHL or FedEx.

That is interesting indeed and thanks for looking it up. Although I don't know anyone in Japan that can help, I wonder how much effort and time would be involved to mail stuff back and forth. I would assume Japan would want her fingerprints and an original signed authorization letter.. Would they accept a photocopy of a passport? Would applying locally require different documents than applying from the Embassy? Could/would they send the PC to Manila? A lot of questions that the embassy didn't quite explain on their page unfortunately. If anyone has done this though please chime in. :)

xwind, on 19 Feb 2015 - 5:25 PM, said:xwind, on 19 Feb 2015 - 5:25 PM, said:

You guys truly are a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for your expertise and experiences!

That sounds almost exactly like our situation. I too have a feeling they may not ask for the police clearance given that she hasn't been to Japan for nearly 10 yrs (9.5 yrs from now to be exact). I almost regret even noting it under her G325A form, because it only asks for employment and addresses in the last 5 years... I put her last occupation in Japan under the "Last occupation abroad if not shown above." We're still going to try to have the police clearance for the interview just to be safe, but we're not going to let it stop us from preparing everything else. I think what we'll do is schedule our USEM interview 2 months after we request the PC, then do her medical interview in the meantime. If we get it the PC before the interview, great, if not then we'll just see how the interview goes.

That is interesting indeed and thanks for looking it up. Although I don't know anyone in Japan that can help, I wonder how much effort and time would be involved to mail stuff back and forth. I would assume Japan would want her fingerprints and an original signed authorization letter.. Would they accept a photocopy of a passport? Would applying locally require different documents than applying from the Embassy? Could/would they send the PC to Manila? A lot of questions that the embassy didn't quite explain on their page unfortunately. If anyone has done this though please chime in. :)

There are only two choices.... :secret: designate a surrogate to act on your behalf who is physically in Japan or you will need to visit the Japanese Embassy in Manila to request your Police Clearance. No other way around it. They will not allow you to do it on your own from overseas. Silly Rabbit :rolleyes:

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

After combing and digesting what I read about Japanese Police Clearance's, I turned around and put the information into a guide. If you find anything is different during the processing of your JPC, I would appreciate reporting back so I and others can be updated on your experience. Good Luck.

Japanese Police Clearance

Police certificates are required from all countries where you have lived for 6 months or more since age 16. Police certificates are also required for accompanying children age 16 or older if they to have lived overseas for more than 6 months. Visit the Japanese Embassy to begin the application process for securing your Japanese Police Clearance (JPC). They are located at 2627 Roxas Boulevard, Pasay, Metro Manila, Philippines.

The Japanese Embassy staff will want to know to which visa you are applying for and what country that you will be immigrating to, they will need to see your passport (valid original; photo copy is not acceptable) and an official copy of your Japanese Alien Registration Card, or Gaikokujin Toroku Gempyo if you can still provide. The staff may ask for a letter from USEM but they will accept your NOA 1 instead of the USEM letter, for the information needed to complete your request.

You will then be instructed to go to Camp Crame, which is the national headquarters of the Philippine National Police (PNP) located along Epifanio de los Santos Avenue (EdlSA), Quezon City for finger printing (here is the telephone number if needed 02-732-0401). You will need one 2x2 OR 1x1 photo when you visit Camp Crame for fingerprinting.

Upon your return they will complete your application and at that time they will send your package onward to Japan for further processing. Expect the process to take anywhere from 1-3 months. They will return your completed JPC to USEM if you checked that box on the application. If you can personally pick up the JCP at the Japanese Embassy, I would check that box. I like to have it in my hands and deliver at my interview so I know it has been completed and delivered to those responsible (CO). If you pick up at the Japanese Embassy, It's advised that you call at the end of the first month, then every 15 days after to inquire if your visa has arrived as it has been known to sit for a week or two before the applicant is notified. The certificate comes sealed and it is already in English so you don't have to worry about translations.

Note: Japanese Police Certificates are sealed. If the seal is broken, the certificate is no longer valid. Do not open the certificate prior to submission to the Embassy/Consulate.

If for any reason you need to call the Manila Japanese Embassy use this number 02-551-5710 then press 2 then 1 then 4. Keep in mind the menu may have changed.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Greenbaum, You may want to mention there are two Japanese consular offices in Cebu and Davao that you can process a Japanese police certificate. Here is a link I found: http://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/visiting/consular/policeclearance.htmlthat shows those consular offices. We went to the Cebu office.

jeanie&jerry, on 21 Feb 2015 - 08:52 AM, said:jeanie&jerry, on 21 Feb 2015 - 08:52 AM, said:jeanie&jerry, on 21 Feb 2015 - 08:52 AM, said:

Greenbaum, You may want to mention there are two Japanese consular offices in Cebu and Davao that you can process a Japanese police certificate. Here is a link I found: http://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/visiting/consular/policeclearance.htmlthat shows those consular offices. We went to the Cebu office.

Thanks, I just added that information to my file. :thumbs: BTW, was it the same processing in CEBU as I had described for Manila? Where did you go for fingerprinting? They say there are no fees for this service, but I haven't been able to confirm that.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.