VSRoberts

When to take the medical examination?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My wife finally got her interview schedule this coming March and she needs to take a medical exam. On the US Embassy Manila website, it says

Applicants are advised to have their medical examinations done 5-7 working days prior their interview appointment at the U.S. Embassy in Manila; failure to complete the exam within the prescribed time frame may result in significant visa processing delays.

Does this mean she needs to do the exam 5-7 days before her interview date or does it mean her medical examination should be completed 5-7 days before her interview?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You might find this recent VJ thread useful.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/529163-notice-to-immigrant-visa-applicants-medical-examination-process-update/

Basically, if she has an easy medical then SLEC will give her the sealed medical report to take to the USEM so she can do interview next day after medical.

If she has other issues, such as TB sputum testing, then SLEC will be the one to courier the sealed medical report to the USEM. This generally takes 2 days.

We did the USEM interview the day after completing a medical that required SLEC to be the courier. SLEC had not deliversd the sealed medical report to the USEM yet, but the USEM said no problem and they let her do the interview. I suppose the USEM could deny an interview or issue a 221g if they wanted to.

Just depends on your situation and choice.

Edited by luckytwo15

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife finally got her interview schedule this coming March and she needs to take a medical exam. On the US Embassy Manila website, it says

Does this mean she needs to do the exam 5-7 days before her interview date or does it mean her medical examination should be completed 5-7 days before her interview?

Yes your wife must complete the medical at St. Luke's before the interview. The new instructions letter doesn't state 5-7 days anymore, but it is good to get the medical completed early. (yes I know the website states 5-7 days, that is outdated info)

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/1178798/29DEC2014/IV%20Applicants_%20Preparation%20Instructions%20-%20English%20_Updated%2029%20DEC%202014_.pdf

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I completed my medical exam at exactly 5 days before my interview date. My result is okay so I didn't had a problem..but it's probably best if your wife take the medical exam earlier. They gave me a sealed envelope that I need to present to the CO during interview.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

There is no harm in going earlier than 5 business days. 5 is the minimum recommended so it gets done on time. Some people go later than that and get it done on time, especially now that they have been giving some of them the sealed med reports to deliver themselves to the embassy.

But if you are there, no reason to take a chance. Go there at least one week in advance and longer if you have the time.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

Well...we hit our first snag. My wife has a scar in her lungs so she needs to take a sputum test (we kinda expected this one). She is supposed to have her interview next week, St. Lukes said they will reschedule the interview for her. Do I still need to call USCIS and inform about the schedule change?

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well...we hit our first snag. My wife has a scar in her lungs so she needs to take a sputum test (we kinda expected this one). She is supposed to have her interview next week, St. Lukes said they will reschedule the interview for her. Do I still need to call USCIS and inform about the schedule change?

Your process has moved passed USCIS, and NVC for that matter, you are dealing solely with the embassy at this time. As for the embassy, SLEC will contact them to cancel your current appointment

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sorry for the scar and the problems it caused. But most definitely, St Luke's will cancel your interview date. You do not have to do anything about that. Once St Luke's clears her medically, then you sign up for new date. Hope it won't take too long, but be prepared that you could be looking at 8 weeks, and maybe more if actual TB is found.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.