kc247

Taxes waiting for Green Card (interview waiver)

2 posts in this topic

Sorry if this has been asked, I have been going through this forum for days and looking online, I am still not completely sure if I am right though.

I have been in the US since February 2014. I have worked since July 2014. My husband and I will be filing jointly, and using Turbo Tax to file. I worked in Canada January and February up until I left in 2014. From what I understand online, I need to declare my worldwide income, so when I get my T4 from home, I use that for my total income. Then there is another form that will make it so I don't have to pay taxes on foreign income?

Is that all I have to do? Will I run into problems since I am not a Permanent Resident yet?

11/09/2016 - i-751 sent

11/14/2016 - NOA1

12/08/2016 - Biometrics

06/04/2018 - i-751 approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

"Resident" for immigration purposes and "resident" for tax purposes are two different items. As the spouse of a USC you can elect to be treated as a "resident" for tax purposes (even if you have never set foot in the US).

And yes, you will exclude foreign income using form 2555 (or 2555EZ). Won't be a problem not being a permanent resident card holder.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Nonresident-Spouse-Treated-as-a-Resident

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.