FaustInAK

Interview next week: need help compiling all necessary docs

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I apologize, this inquiry is probably redundant with previous posts; I just could not find anything too specific.

My interview is next week. I'm studying for the Civic test, and not too concerned about it.

What I need to bring on the interview day is really what isn't clear.

A little background - I was married to a US citizen 2008-2011, obtained my GC; we unfortunately divorced, and I am not applying for US citizenship because I have been here over 6 years...

After sending my N400 and going to the fingerprints appt, I did receive a yellow letter asking to bring additional documents to the interview: State ID, passport, any travel docs, and other important docs.

- Travels outside of the country: Got all the stamps on my passport. I have never spend more than 1 month outside of the country over the past 5 years; just vacation really and visit my family in France. Do I need to find all the receipts for plane tickets for the past 5 years? Do I need to compile a list of all countries visited and duration? It'd be good to know, because I really don't remember and it'd take some time...

- My physical addresses: Do I need to provide again a list of where I lived with dates? Would they ask for proof?

- Docs related to my situation back years ago: Marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc. Do they need all of that with me? I did divorce prior to getting my permanent GC, so that is something I had to provide in the past.

I am just not sure what "other important docs" might refer to, and I certainly do not want to forget anything on the interview day.

So, please any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

F.

K1 journey:

I129F sent mid-october 2007

I129F received by CSV: 10/19/07

NOA1 received early March and NOA2 received on March 19th!! We got APPROVED!!

File received by NVC and sent to US Embassy in Paris: 03/10/2008

05/06/2008: I sent the packet 3 to the embassy.

05/22/2008: Packet 4 received!

06/10/2008: Medical examination in Paris.

06/17/2008: INTERVIEW: Visa approved!!

08/31/2008: WEDDING

AOS journey:

09/05/2008: AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago

09/11/2008: Notice date for I-485, I-131 and I-765

10/16/2008: SSA finally gave me a SSN!!

11/17/2008: AP received and EAD approved!

11/20/2008: Biometrics appointment AND Green card interview in Fairbanks.

12/29/2008: I went to my local office to regive my biometrics. And my EAD card has finally been issued!!

01/12/2009: EAD received!! Finally

02/09/2009: GC received in the mail :) Anniversary is 01/29/11

Removal of conditions:

11/09/10: Divorced

11/18/10: Sent I-751 to CSV

11/30/10: Receipt notice received in the mail

12/30/10: Called USCIS as no news for 1 month after NOA1

1/10/11: Emailed from USCIS about my call: "The process for fingerprint appointment scheduling has been requested."

1/13/11: NOA2 ASC appointment notice

2/3/11: Biometrics at local office (NOA2 recieved on 2/2/11!!!)

2/16/11: Date of decision: APPROVED

2/24/11: Card in hand

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I apologize, this inquiry is probably redundant with previous posts; I just could not find anything too specific.

My interview is next week. I'm studying for the Civic test, and not too concerned about it.

What I need to bring on the interview day is really what isn't clear.

A little background - I was married to a US citizen 2008-2011, obtained my GC; we unfortunately divorced, and I am not applying for US citizenship because I have been here over 6 years...

After sending my N400 and going to the fingerprints appt, I did receive a yellow letter asking to bring additional documents to the interview: State ID, passport, any travel docs, and other important docs.

- Travels outside of the country: Got all the stamps on my passport. I have never spend more than 1 month outside of the country over the past 5 years; just vacation really and visit my family in France. Do I need to find all the receipts for plane tickets for the past 5 years? Do I need to compile a list of all countries visited and duration? It'd be good to know, because I really don't remember and it'd take some time...

- My physical addresses: Do I need to provide again a list of where I lived with dates? Would they ask for proof?

- Docs related to my situation back years ago: Marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc. Do they need all of that with me? I did divorce prior to getting my permanent GC, so that is something I had to provide in the past.

I am just not sure what "other important docs" might refer to, and I certainly do not want to forget anything on the interview day.

So, please any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

F.

Yes, if you need to list all the trips that you took in the last five years. This includes your travel dates and the countries visited. You should do your best to try to find that information, but if you can't then you'll just need to explain that to your interview with. Likewise, you need to fill in the information about your past addresses for the last five years If you can't remember the exact days then at least put them the month and explain to your interviewer that you don't remember the exact dates. This should not be a problem. They won't require proof of your trips or addresses, but they probably have all that information anyway so it's important for you to be honest and accurate as possible on your application and at the interview. The one exception is your address for the last three months If you have moved recently they may ask for proof that you have lived in your current state for at least 90 days. Finally, regarding your marriage and divorce, several people have been questioned about their previous relationship, so you should definitely bring any documents you have to the interview. In fact just in the last two months, two people who got their green cards through marriage but then applied based on a five-year rule, found out that US CI S contacted their ex spouses after the interview to verify that the original green card was not obtained fraudulently. Both of these people posted their experiences here on Visa journey. If you take all the paperwork with you, you should be fine. Best of luck.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

What happens if the ex lies baselessly and says immigrant tricked them into getting married? Does uscisgive hard time after approving good faith waiver because of ex's statement? Thanks

It's not very common for them to look into this, but yes, they can investigate the legitimacy of the marriage during the naturalization process.

Please note that I've only ever heard of two cases of the ex-spouse being contacted.

I assume that if the ex-spouse says that the marriage was fraudulent, then that will slow down the process while they investigate... but they will not automatically deny anyone on that basis, and they are not likely to even contact anyone if the application is straight forward.

If you were approved for the waiver, you shouldn't have any trouble being approved for citizenship, but they sometimes do a little digging to double-check.

This is because after you become a citizen, they would have to go to court to de-naturalize you, so they want to make sure they get it right.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

I was married to a US citizen and then divorced. I applied under the 5yr rule. The only documents I brought to the interview were we driver's license, green card, passports, and certified copy of my divorce decree. That was it. The IO did not look at my driver's license or passports. I did not make repeat lists of the information already outlined in the application and I did not bring any proofs to back the information up. That's why you go through a biometrics check. I did not bring any corroborating documents (other than my passport) for my one trip outside the US. I did not submit or bring a copy of my marriage certificate either.

05/01 - Married USC

06/01 - Filed I-130/I-485

01/03 - Conditional LPR approved

05/05 - Conditions removed

12/13 - Divorced USC

10/10/14 - Filed N-400 based on 5+yrs LPR

10/24/14 - NOA

11/12/14 - Fingerprinted

11/14/14 - In line e-notification

12/01/14 - E-notification of interview scheduled

12/05/14 - Received interview letter - Interview scheduled for January 8th.

01/08/15 - Passed citizenship interview and recommended for approval!

01/19/15 - In line for oath ceremony

02/19/15 - Oath scheduled for March 6th, 2015!

03/06/15 - Became a US citizen! :dancing:

Timeline

Thanks for your reply. What evidence/information does uscis need to determine whether a marriage was fraudulent or real?

Sorry, no idea... like I said, they don't usually look into this, so they'll have to tell you what they want when you go to the interview.

But I would take my marriage certificate and divorce papers with me if I were you.

If they don't ask for them, that's fine. If they ask for them, it saves you the delay of having to submit them after the interview.

Thanks everyone. Sounds pretty straight forward. I'll bring all I can just as a precaution, and hopefully things will go smoothly.

K1 journey:

I129F sent mid-october 2007

I129F received by CSV: 10/19/07

NOA1 received early March and NOA2 received on March 19th!! We got APPROVED!!

File received by NVC and sent to US Embassy in Paris: 03/10/2008

05/06/2008: I sent the packet 3 to the embassy.

05/22/2008: Packet 4 received!

06/10/2008: Medical examination in Paris.

06/17/2008: INTERVIEW: Visa approved!!

08/31/2008: WEDDING

AOS journey:

09/05/2008: AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago

09/11/2008: Notice date for I-485, I-131 and I-765

10/16/2008: SSA finally gave me a SSN!!

11/17/2008: AP received and EAD approved!

11/20/2008: Biometrics appointment AND Green card interview in Fairbanks.

12/29/2008: I went to my local office to regive my biometrics. And my EAD card has finally been issued!!

01/12/2009: EAD received!! Finally

02/09/2009: GC received in the mail :) Anniversary is 01/29/11

Removal of conditions:

11/09/10: Divorced

11/18/10: Sent I-751 to CSV

11/30/10: Receipt notice received in the mail

12/30/10: Called USCIS as no news for 1 month after NOA1

1/10/11: Emailed from USCIS about my call: "The process for fingerprint appointment scheduling has been requested."

1/13/11: NOA2 ASC appointment notice

2/3/11: Biometrics at local office (NOA2 recieved on 2/2/11!!!)

2/16/11: Date of decision: APPROVED

2/24/11: Card in hand

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.