StellaR

International Drivers Licence?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi all,

Just a question for the future about driving licence, when I get to the US. Before I went there last year I got me one of those International Drivers Licences, but Fiance (ex-cop) says I should be fine on just my Aussy Drivers Licence untill I am able to go for a US one. The international ones only last a year so I will have to get another before I leave if needed. Of course we are trying to think of all ways to save expenditures so does anyone have any tips here? We will be living in Missouri.

Kath, sorry to hear of your finger print check frustrations. I have rung my local police station (country town) about this check and they sounded like they had never even done one before for this immigration bussiness so I'm guessing I may have similar frustations.

I've been here every day, but quite. A very bad week for us of anxiety and sadness. Also fiance has been trying to get a loan organised for a house he has fallen in love with but has been having nothing but the run around with it. We did have plans of waiting to do this after I got there, as he wanted me to help in the choosing of our new home but as we have almost identical tastes in almost everything he just knew I would love it too. I think knowing how lonely he has become with me not there, and being a single Dad with a very difficult ex, hurts me more than my own pining heart. :cry:

Thanks Stella.

Stella & Shadow

28-4-2005 Met On-line. Love at first sight (know that can happen now).

8-8-2005 Met in person in the US. Visa Waiver.

22-10-2005 Engaged.

2-11-2005 Flew back to Sydney. Many tears!

5-11-2005 Began visa journey.

2-12-2005 Shadow (Andrew) posts petition.

7-12-2005 NOA1 dated the 5-12-2005.

..................Seems like never ending waiting.

12-4-2006 NOA2 Yee Haa!!!!!!

11-5-2006 Packet 3 Arrives

12-5-2006 Posted Reply and did Police Check

15-5-2006 Medical in Sydney

19-5-2006 Packet 4 Arrives

30-5-2006 Sceduled Interview

..................Interview went well, just waiting on Criminal History checks to post back with that envelopee and passport to get visa.

5-6-2006 Received Criminal History Check in the mail and posted off back to consulate with passport etc hoping for it's return with visa in two weeks.

14-6-2006 Passport and visa recieved in mail. Visa issued the 13th.

24-6-2006 USA here I come

26-7-2006 Received Social Security Card in less than 5 working days after applying.

9-9-2006 Married

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi Stella,

Regarding the drivers licence: I was fine with my German licence when I was visiting in the US. I think it is good for three month and after that time you should get a US licence.

Good luck, Anja

08/10/2009 - sent off I-751 to CA service center

08/16/2009 - check cashed

08/28/2009 - received NOA1

09/11/2009 - biometrics in Portland

03/30/2010 - done for the next 10 years.............

Timeline

Thanks Anja.

Stella.

Stella & Shadow

22-10-2005 Engaged.

..................Interview went well, just waiting on Criminal History checks to post back with that envelopee and passport to get visa.

5-6-2006 Received Criminal History Check in the mail and posted off back to consulate with passport etc hoping for it's return with visa in two weeks.

26-7-2006 Received Social Security Card in less than 5 working days after applying.

9-9-2006 Married

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

I was fine with my Aussie license. The international one is more of a translation aid, for example if your license is in French or some other non-English language, it can help.

Also, the cops in the US don't tend to ask for your license very often, only if they are about to give you a speeding ticket or something like that. No random stops just for the hell of it like they do in Aus :)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Stella

I got a licence here in texas all you need is a visa or the entry permit for a visitor to prove your staying and you take a writen and driving test jsut t like home . Ive been pulled over twice now :( Cops ask for the drivers licence all the time here in texas its part of the deal You get pulled up you provide them with insurance and the drivers licence and you get fined if you dont have a drivers licence... Personally Id jsut get a licence when you get here or get the international one before you leave . Dont risk the fine or any thing that will ruin your chance of immigration on the FBI checks ...However misouri might be differnt to TEXAS ( I know all you other state readers out there are shaking your heads right about now LOL)

But yeah I think the cops here are worse then home ...

PS drivers licence cost me about 24 dollars I think...

Edited by giddy34

I've reached that realistic age where I have to choose between having fun and a heart attack :)

Timeline

I can sense there's a joke there on the end, just wish I knew what it was. Something your average Aussie doesn't get, I guess. Yeah think I might just get me another one of those international licences, the cops do seem a bit different even to each other over there, and they do seem to like pulling me over too, I don't know if it has something to do with the car being on the wrong side of the road sometimes, hee hee.

Thanks Giddy,

Stella.

Stella & Shadow

22-10-2005 Engaged.

9-9-2006 Married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.