R&S13

Now What!? Husband in USA..

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone - kinda freaking out here so any responses would be appreciated a great deal. My husband came to the US on a K1 visa in October and we got married in November. He had his fingerprinting done on December 18th and since then it's been a halt... I haven't heard anything and not sure what to expect next. I obviously filed for his AOS and work permit in November which is why he was called in for fingerprinting in December. My question is, what now? When can he begin to legally work here?? How long does it take to the receive the work permit while we are awaiting his Green Card? Also, is this something we just receive in the mail?? Please help me out guys because I am going insane here just waiting for I don't know what??

Thanks

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Hiiii :) now you just have to be patient wait for everything.

To be able to work you will need your EAD approved and it will arrive by mail to you. Usually takes around 90 days sometimes less sometimes a bit more.... And since you came with a K-1 you may have an interview for your green card or you may get a letter that says you have an interview waiver, that means no interview and the green card takes a bit longer.

Once your husband has his EAD he can go to the DMV and get a driver's license in case he needs it and also work.

Edited by IRIScv

y59om4.png

---------------------------------- Pre I-130 ----------------------------------------

Feb- 25- 2009 - Met in Barcelona Spain thanks to a friend in common ???

11 visits in the next 5 years........ ????????????

Apr - 23 - 2014 - My last entry in the US to visit ✈️

Jul - 18 - 2014 - finally proposes and ask me to stay forever!!!! ❤️??

Jul- 20 - 2014 - I don't get in the flight back to Spain ( that means my ESTA will expire the next day )

Jul - 22 - 2014 - wedding ❤️??

---------------------------I-130, I-485, EAD, AP ----------------------------------

Sep- 12- 2014 - AOS sent to Chicago ?? ( delivered sept 15 )

Sep - 18 - 2014 - AOS texts/ emails received with case number ??

Sep- 19 - 2014 - checks cashed ?

Sep - 21 - 2014- hard copies of NOA received in the mail!!! ??

Sep - 26 - 2014- biometrics letter received!! Appointment for Oct 7

Sep - 30 - 2014 - succesful early walk in biometrics ??

Nov - 22 - 2014 - EAD/AP approved ?? ( 71 days )

Nov - 24 - 2014 - card in production

Dec - 1 - 2014 - card mailed ??

Dec - 3 - 2014 - Combo card received ??

Dec - 15 - 2014 - email received with interview date for Jan 15 2015! ??

Jan - 15 - 2015 - Approved!! ???? Here is our interview experience --> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/531853-aos-interview-from-esta-approved/

Jan - 24 - 2015 - Green card received

Next is Patience :)

Above comment is right! GODLUCK and best wishes..

In God we Trust 

Time line for AOS 2014
June 30--- Mailed our AOS PACKET
July 2----- USPS confirmed delivery
July 9----- Received mail and txt of acceptance from uscis for I-485, i-765 and I-131
July12---- Hard copy of i-485,i-765 and I-131 in the mail
July14-----Biometrics schedule arrive on the mail, Scheduled on August 6,2014
August6----Biometrics done!done!
Sept03-----EAD/AP CARD/document production :)
Sept11-----EAD card recieved
October16--Interview AOS :)
Approved on the spot
October 24-Green Card arrived in the mail. :)

Timeline for Removal of Condition 2016

July 17--------Mailed our packet

July 18--------Received our NOA

Oct 12---------Biometrics appoinment

Oct 28 2017-GreenCard on Hand

Naturalization 2018

February 5th--------Sent I-751 package to Chicago

February 7th--------Package delivered to P.O Chicago

February 10th------Cheque cashed.

Feb 14th ------------ NOA1 delivered in mail.

March 6th------------Bio-metrics done

April 16th-------------Interview schedule (approved)

April 17th-------------Oath Ceremony scheduled

May 3rd----------------Oath Ceremony

Hiiii :) now you just have to be patient wait for everything.

To be able to work you will need your EAD approved and it will arrive by mail to you. Usually takes around 90 days sometimes less sometimes a bit more.... And since you came with a K-1 you may have an interview for your green card or you may get a letter that says you have an interview waiver, that means no interview and the green card takes a bit longer.

Once your husband has his EAD he can go to the DMV and get a driver's license in case he needs it and also work.

Heyy - thanks for replying! So it takes 90 days for the EAD? 90 days from filing or 90 days from the fingerprinting? I want him to get his driver's license and when he went to the DMV they said they couldn't accept because of the invalid paperwork so I am assuming once he gets his EAD he will be able to get a driver's license and begin working?

Timeline

Heyy - thanks for replying! So it takes 90 days for the EAD? 90 days from filing or 90 days from the fingerprinting? I want him to get his driver's license and when he went to the DMV they said they couldn't accept because of the invalid paperwork so I am assuming once he gets his EAD he will be able to get a driver's license and begin working?

I believe its 90 days since the NOA because that's the date they received your forms.

Unless you get a RFE if you get one then everything gets paused... But you didn't mention any RFE so you can count from NOA :)

For the DMV they will ask for EAD, SSCard and passport, we went this month before I had the green card and that's all they needed from me to be able to get my permit. I live in Georgia sometimes different states may have different rules, I will attach a picture of the paper they gave me for non U.S. citizens getting a license

post-192195-0-06130300-1422374900_thumb.jpg

Edited by IRIScv

y59om4.png

---------------------------------- Pre I-130 ----------------------------------------

Jul- 20 - 2014 - I don't get in the flight back to Spain ( that means my ESTA will expire the next day )

---------------------------I-130, I-485, EAD, AP ----------------------------------

Jan - 15 - 2015 - Approved!! ???? Here is our interview experience --> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/531853-aos-interview-from-esta-approved/

I believe its 90 days since the NOA because that's the date they received your forms.

Unless you get a RFE if you get one then everything gets paused... But you didn't mention any RFE so you can count from NOA :)

For the DMV they will ask for EAD, SSCard and passport, we went this month before I had the green card and that's all they needed from me to be able to get my permit. I live in Georgia sometimes different states may have different rules, I will attach a picture of the paper they gave me for non U.S. citizens getting a license

You've been a great help! Thanks so much... so 90 from NOA which I got on 11/25... Keeping my fingers crossed! Thanks again :)

Timeline

You are very welcome!!! And good luck :)

y59om4.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.