Tia26

starting the process of filling out K1 visa needing advice, Australia- US

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline

hi all,

I am writing this in search for answers for me and my fiancé he is US citizen and in the military I am Australian, we were going to marry and apply for spouse visa but at the moment K1 visa is looking the best option and a lot of comments i've heard stating it is fastest, or maybe a quicker a little bit anyway... waiting times don't matter we have waited this long so we cans survive. I have a few questions;

AS he is MILITARY how can we state the address we intend to live as we cannot live together till we are married and have base housing etc until then he will be in the barracks, so can we use his mothers address or a family member where I could stay until we get married and situated? but than that's not where WE intend to live it would just be me as he would be on base in the barracks and who knows what state or town yet, will this affect filing and our case as he will be filing from overseas?!

could any one give me a list of documents we both would be needing, and if I visit him in march this year and we fill and gather all our paper work am I able to send off the application myself from Australia or does it have to be sent by him? I wouldn't really see how it makes a difference if him or I posted it.

documentation of proving our engagement and that its not for immigration benefits or whatever you may call it

is that like plane tickets, receipts, photographs, Skype call logs, photos of us together, I even have gifts and letters from his step mum which I could use?

any information would be greatly appreciated im very excited for us to start this journey! also on average start to finish from when you file to gain entry into the US what is the time frame just a guestimation as he will be PCSing back to America from overseas very soon. THANKYOU I hope to hear from someone

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

K-1 visa application has to be mailed from within the US, there is no consular filing option for K1. You can put any address where he, or someone for him, for example his mom, can receive his mail. That address can be changed in your immigration file once you move.

You said you will live with someone of his family in US until you marry, I assume you mean after you obtain the visa? You have 90 days to get legally married (get your marriage certificate). You do have to live together when you file for AOS (Adjustment of Status).

You can find the list of documents needed for K1 above where it says Guides, and then select the K-1 guide. For the time frames check out the K1 flowchart, which is also under Guides.

Because he is military, your case is very likely to be expedited if he is on active duty. I don't know the exact procedure on that but look around this site or see if the USCIS cite says anything. Therefore your timeline can be very different, but for us it took 5.5 months just to get NOA2, which is the first stage where you get approved. But again, each case is different and active duty always warrants to be expedited.

I know this probably makes no sense but maybe you can send his mom the prepared package and she will then send it off to the Lockbox for processing? The USCIS requires the K1 to be sent from within US, you will also have the option to send it Expedited in the US and that will allow you track it.

K-1 Visa

Service Center: Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate: Mumbai, India

Met at University in UK: 2010

Engaged in India: 03/31/2014

I-129F Sent: 06/20/2014

NOA1: 06/25/2014

NOA2: 12/16/2014

NOA2 Hardcopy Received: 12/23/2014

Case Sent to NVC: 12/23/2014

NVC Case Number Assigned: 01/05/2015

Case Sent to Consulate: 01/08/2015

Case "Ready" at Consulate: 01/09/2015

Applied for PCC: 01/20/2015

PCC in hand: 02/23/2015

Medical: 01/23/2015

Completed DS-160 and paid visa fee: 02/20/2015

Interview: 03/13/2015 APPROVED :)--> Same day went into AP

Visa "issued" on CEAC webstie: 03/16/2015

:goofy: :goofy: Visa in hand! 03/18/2015 :goofy::goofy:

POE: 06/04/2015 :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

AOS Journey

06.11.2015- City Hall Wedding

06.29.2015- Mailed AOS Package

07.01.2015 - Package Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

07.02.2015- Date Received as per USCIS

07.09.2015- NOA1 for EAD/AP

07.24.2015- RFE :ranting:

08.13.2015- USCIS accepted RFE response

09.08.2015- EAD received

Waiting for the interview :clock:

12.19.2015 WE GOT THE GREEN CARD IN THE MAIL!!!!! No interview :)

ROC

10.25.2017 ROC packet received by VT Service Center

11.02.2017- Received NOA dated 10.26.2017

11.29.17- Completed Biometrics

Waiting for the interview :clock:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.