wodge2003

UK Citizen working in the US

11 posts in this topic

Hi

Just wanted to hear experiences of Job hunting in the US. I have a standard UK education with no college or university degree but have plenty of employment and life experience !

What do employers say when you haven't got either a High School diploma or GED ???????????????

Any comments would be most welcolme

16/5/2002 Met on Line through YAHOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!

26/9/2002 Travelled to Montana and met in person - decided this is for real !

10/10/2002 Both returned to UK , Melissa travelled on Tourist Visa

19/5/2003 Got married in UK

7/7/2003 Melissa got LR in UK for 2 years

July 2005 Melissa got ILR in UK

2 Feb 2007 Filed I 130 with USCIS in London

2 Feb 2007 Requested Police Report

6 Feb 2007 Visa Card charged for I 130 petition

17 Feb 2007 Receive Police Certificate

10 May 2007 I 130 Approved !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16 May 2007 Received Packet 3

16 May Sent Off Packet 3 & Booked Medical for the 30th May

24 May 2007 Received Packet 4 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only 8 Daysssssss

19 June 2007 Interview & APPROVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27 Aug 2007 Travel to JFK then on to SLC via Houston OMG what a trip !!!!!!

What do employers say when you haven't got either a High School diploma or GED ???????????????

Don't call us, we'll call you.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Don't call us, we'll call you.

Not true.....I have had no problems without a High school Diploma oe GED, the amount of years that i have worked compensate for not having them.I have had 7 interviews in the last week and i have been offered all 7 jobs. If you have experience in a particular field and alot of it ,you should be alright.

k37hm7.png

03-06-10 Mailed N-400

03-17-10 Check cashed

03-19-10 NOA received

03-22-10 Biometrics sent

04-09-10 Biometrics appointment

06-14-10 Interview Date

06-22-10 Received letter for Oath

07-02-10 Oath ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

It is alot easier coming this way, I can tell you.

We looking into me moving to the UK and even though I have 20 years experience in my field, I would not have been able to work unless i had a certificate.

If they think you have the equivalent here you will be fine.

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Unless you are looking to work in a field where your educational credentials are of high importance, then I am sure that your experience will be taken into account.

After speaking to a number of recruiters when I was looking for IT jobs, they told me that employers look favourably at people with in job and related experience. Someone can have a handful of certificates and a degree but unless they have any experience applying that book learned knowledge to real world situations then an employer won't have much confidence in their skills.

They key is to impress on any potential employers that while you might not have gone to college or got a degree, you have been doing what you've been doing for x number of years and you do what you do well. Confidence in your own skills and ability goes a long way in giving others confidence in you !!

Best of luck

Mark :)

Our Full Timeline From K-1 Application through to Receiving my Green Card

Timeline Summary

11/30/2007 - I-751 Mailed to Nebraska

12/28/2007 - NOA Received (application has been forwarded to California)

01/09/2008 - Biometrics taken in St. Louis

03/27/2008 - I-751 Approved, 10 Yr Greencard in the mail !!

12/20/2016 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

01/17/2017 - NOA Received

01/25/2017 - Attended biometrics in St. Louis

09/29/2017 - Received I-797C notice dated 09/27/17.  Interview Scheduled for November 6th @ 8am

11/06/2017 - N400 interview in St. Louis.  Approved !!:jest:

02/05/2018 - Notice of Oath Ceremony date received.  March 1st, 2018 @ 8.30am

"Though miles once lay between us, we were never far apart, for true love doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart"

Check out our website - "Our Journey Together"

View Our Online Photo Albums - "Mark and Debs' Webshots Albums"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline
Hi

Just wanted to hear experiences of Job hunting in the US. I have a standard UK education with no college or university degree but have plenty of employment and life experience !

Any comments would be most welcolme

When you say a standard UK education do you mean you have GCE's or O Levels?

5 of either is roughly equivalent to an American High School Diploma so you might be able to say on applications that you have the equivalent.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2006-09-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-09-28

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-10-18

NVC Received : 2006-10-20

NVC Left : 2006-10-23

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2006-11-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-12-02

Packet 4 Received : 2006-12-07

Interview Date : 2007-01-31

Visa Received : 2007-02-03

US Entry : 2007-03-06

Marriage : 2007-03-30

I have to agree with Mark and Sheila on this one and I am not even there yet. My daughter passed my CV to her HR Manager and was told that I should have my interview with them as soon as I have my ssn which should be relatively quickly and that I should be looking at a Centre managers position with my experience, so it is all down to me. As Mark says, your experience and confidence will still go a long way.

[The reason god put spaces in between your fingers was so another person's hands could fill it up.

CHERISH YESTERDAY, LIVE TODAY AND DREAM TOMORROW

Life is like a song... Sing it.

Life is like a challenge... Pursue it.

Life is like a sacrifice... Offer it.

Life is love... Enjoy it.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
My daughter passed my CV to her HR Manager and was told that I should have my interview with them as soon as I have my ssn

And, as long as you have applied for your SSN (you will the moment you enter the US), you can be hired---HR does not have to wait until you have the actual card.

:)

(get to work, woman! gots to earn them qualifying quarters!)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Depends on the field. I've been showing my fiance's CV around and he's got several interviews for when he gets here. He's a personal trainer, wanting to be a gym teacher. Giving up on teaching for now (stupid no child left behind...) but the PT isnt a prob. His experience is really valued

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

I don't think it matters. The 'normal' UK education (GCSEs/O-Levels) is the same as the GED, I think. Unless you want to work in the upper echelons of management, a degree isn't so important, IMHO, as long as you have decent experience.

You have the advantage of having a British accent. That's got me a lot of leeway, for some strange reason. People over here love it!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
I don't think it matters. The 'normal' UK education (GCSEs/O-Levels) is the same as the GED, I think. Unless you want to work in the upper echelons of management, a degree isn't so important, IMHO, as long as you have decent experience.

You have the advantage of having a British accent. That's got me a lot of leeway, for some strange reason. People over here love it!

Ain't that the truth! As the USC I find it a bit embarrassing! My finace and I consulted with a male attorney who kept telling G how much he loved his accent and how happy he was that his wife wasn't there as she'd be undressing for him. It was all a bit much! With that said, if it helps you guys to get a job here, great!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.