palakk

NVC asking for passport police certificate..pls help

19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I really need help with my NVC process. My scan date in NOV 10, 2014. I received a checklist from NVC and they are asking for Passport police certificate from India. Here is my background I was born in India, moved to Canada when I was 18 years old. I am a Canadian citizen and dont have any kind of Indian visa. My Indian passport was expired 7 years ago.

I am married to a US citizen and we have applied through consulate processing. I found this link on travel.state.gov website http://travel.state....policerecords-6 which says

• Indian police certificates are not available for foreign (non-Indian) applicants residing outside India.

I called NVC which took about 45 redials and was told that I dont need the police certificate from India and write a letter explaining that I am a Canadian citizen and cant get the police certificate. The online information are so contradictory and is confusing me. Has anyone of you been on the same boat. My lawyer is not helpful and not replying to my emails and calls. Would greatly appreiciate all your help

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

also give the expired indian passport number number to nvc

and tell them u can contact indian passport embassy if you want with these details

that's my suggestion

Timeline

Few suggestions, more empathy. I was also asked for a police certificate stemming from a less-than-one-year stay in a foreign country when I was 15. Was shocked that I was told this by an NVC operator by happenstance. Called NVC several more times, always got contradicting information (mostly, that I DIDN'T need it). Like you, I was also asked to write a letter, quoting the NVC's own legislation regarding why I didn't need this police clearance (less than a one year stay, in my case). In the end, I finally received a formal checklist, requesting this document. Fortunately, I had already started the process of securing this certificate "just in case".

Did you have to renounce your Indian citizenship when you became Canadian? If not, then perhaps you qualify for one as a citizen living in Canada?

Edited by Canadian Tired

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I really need help with my NVC process. My scan date in NOV 10, 2014. I received a checklist from NVC and they are asking for Passport police certificate from India. Here is my background I was born in India, moved to Canada when I was 18 years old. I am a Canadian citizen and dont have any kind of Indian visa. My Indian passport was expired 7 years ago.

I am married to a US citizen and we have applied through consulate processing. I found this link on travel.state.gov website http://travel.state....policerecords-6 which says

• Indian police certificates are not available for foreign (non-Indian) applicants residing outside India.

I called NVC which took about 45 redials and was told that I dont need the police certificate from India and write a letter explaining that I am a Canadian citizen and cant get the police certificate. The online information are so contradictory and is confusing me. Has anyone of you been on the same boat. My lawyer is not helpful and not replying to my emails and calls. Would greatly appreiciate all your help

you do need a police clearance certificate from India...I was born in Guyana and live there for 20 yrs. I have my Guyana passport which is also expired. I applied for the police clearance with it.This is what I had to do not sure if its the came for India.

I had to do a fingerprint at a recommended finger print office , it was $39.99 +tax they give the result same time.

Take my Guyana passport, my birth certificate, 3 passport size with the finger print record to the Guyana consulate in Toronto...they photocopy and notarized and the I send to Guyana with a fee of $10.00 ( Canadian) .You also have to authorize a family member in India to apply and uplift it for you.

I did mine and my family got it...just waiting it in the mail now.

Contact the India consulate in Canada where ever you are living in and they will give you all necessary info needed......I had known about this so I did mine early as I have not submit my docs as yet I am still awaiting for IV fee invoice.

Good luck ...hope this helps you.

Timeline

Just to add .....do not write a letter and explain ( you might get another checklist again)...you do need police certificate from India and there is a process to get.

it.....but not online. I was trying the same online but when I contact the consulate I go the info needed.

Timeline

you do need a police clearance certificate from India...I was born in Guyana and live there for 20 yrs. I have my Guyana passport which is also expired. I applied for the police clearance with it.This is what I had to do not sure if its the came for India.

I had to do a fingerprint at a recommended finger print office , it was $39.99 +tax they give the result same time.

Take my Guyana passport, my birth certificate, 3 passport size with the finger print record to the Guyana consulate in Toronto...they photocopy and notarized and the I send to Guyana with a fee of $10.00 ( Canadian) .You also have to authorize a family member in India to apply and uplift it for you.

I did mine and my family got it...just waiting it in the mail now.

Contact the India consulate in Canada where ever you are living in and they will give you all necessary info needed......I had known about this so I did mine early as I have not submit my docs as yet I am still awaiting for IV fee invoice.

Good luck ...hope this helps you.

Thank you Sharda, I called consulate in Toronto and it goes in looops...no live operator. Called BLS Canada, they have no clue about it even though the service is available on their website but it can take several months (https://www.blsindia-canada.com/pol_clr_cert.php). I am very much scared to hand my documents to BLS.

I think I will try to contact Consulate again. My lawyer said he will talk to some senior people at NVC.

I was thinking to authorize a family member to get the certificate from India itself , not sure if thats possible.

Timeline

Few suggestions, more empathy. I was also asked for a police certificate stemming from a less-than-one-year stay in a foreign country when I was 15. Was shocked that I was told this by an NVC operator by happenstance. Called NVC several more times, always got contradicting information (mostly, that I DIDN'T need it). Like you, I was also asked to write a letter, quoting the NVC's own legislation regarding why I didn't need this police clearance (less than a one year stay, in my case). In the end, I finally received a formal checklist, requesting this document. Fortunately, I had already started the process of securing this certificate "just in case".

Did you have to renounce your Indian citizenship when you became Canadian? If not, then perhaps you qualify for one as a citizen living in Canada?

Hi thanks a lot for the details. there was no renounce procedure when I got my Canadian citizenship but they stamped my Indian passport "cancelled". How long did it take to get the certificate from the foreign country?

Its really hard to get any documents from India, I am trying to contact consulate....the last thing I wanted to do is delay my process....hopefully will get a positive reply back soon from my lawyer.

Timeline

If you know where the consulate is located just walk in the office ...when I walk in the office I was told the same 6 months if I apply with them in Canada. I authorize my family they got it in one week...only the consulate here in Toronto will help you .

Timeline

if they stamp your passport cancelled it means that you are not dual citizens...they never ask for mine neither was it stamp....mine was valid up until May 2014...the consulate used it for the police clearance for me because all the need was to photocopy the biographic page and notarized it ...at the same time they even offered to renew it ...I wasn't prepared to do that at that time.

Timeline

if they stamp your passport cancelled it means that you are not dual citizens...they never ask for mine neither was it stamp....mine was valid up until May 2014...the consulate used it for the police clearance for me because all the need was to photocopy the biographic page and notarized it ...at the same time they even offered to renew it ...I wasn't prepared to do that at that time.

I think India doesnt offer dual citizenship. And I dont have any valid Indian IDs. Not sure how it will work out...but lets see, I will visit the consulate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.