K+P

Couldn't get case # from NVC - wrong birthdate in system.

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

NOA2 on 04 Dec. Called NVC on 19 Dec. Got through at 3:34pm EST after about 50 attempts. Waited on hold 53 minutes. Representative told me they had not received my paperwork. Told me to call back in a couple of weeks.

This morning, I called the NVC again, finally getting through on the third day and 150+ redials. The call went through at 7:21am EST and I waited on hold for about 35 minutes.

The NVC representative found my record but could not give me my case number because the beneficiary birth date I gave them on the phone did not match the birth date they had in their records. While the (polite and sympathetic) person was on the phone, I retrieved the photocopied paperwork I sent in with my 129F petition and read off the birth date from both the 325A and a copy of her passport. It was the same date. However since it didn't match the date they had in their file, their procedures would not allow them to give me the case number. Apparently, there isn't any other bit of unique personally identifiable information in the file that they can use that would allow them to give me the case number. However, on the plus side, I did gather from bits of the conversation that my case had been processed and was either was on it's way to the embassy or close to being sent.

After I hung up, I went through all 50 pages of the paperwork I submitted and every single beneficiary birth date I found in the paperwork matched the date I gave the NVC on the phone. My guess is that there was a typo made when the paperwork was entered into the government system. So, now I guess I just have to wait to get the formal notification by mail.

I'm assuming the date problem can be cleared up at the embassy and this won't cause any major delay of the process.

Anyone heard of this issue happening before?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

We had exactly the same problem during the K1 process, just that it was the petitioner's birthdate that they had messed up at the NVC. It was correct on all forms and on the NOA's. My now-husband spent hours with them on hold, got yelled at and hung up on. They would not give us our case number, nor would they even talk to him, even though it was clearly their mistake. We e-mailed them all documents over showing the correct birthdate and asked for an expedite based on USCIS error... Of course, we did not hear back from them until two weeks later, when they merely told us that our file had already been shipped to the consulate. The consulate finally corrected the error. So yes, e-mail the embassy and make sure they correct it.

K1 Visa
Feb. 29, 2012: I-129F sent
March 8, 2012: NOA1 (VSC)
August 30, 2012: NOA2
Oct. 1, 2012: Packet 3 received
Nov. 3, 2012: Packet 4 received
Nov. 15, 2012: Interview - approved!
Jan. 18, 2013: POE New York Seaport
Feb. 2, 2013: Wedding

AOS
March 6, 2013: AOS Package sent
March 12, 2013: I-485, I-765, I-131 NOA's
March 29, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

May 10, 2013: EAD/AP approved
Sept. 5, 2013: "Potential Interview Waiver Case" letter received
Nov. 2, 2013: AOS approved (no interview)

ROC
Aug. 4, 2015: I-751 sent
Aug. 6, 2015: NOA1 (CSC)
Sept. 4, 2015: Biometrics Appointment
Feb. 10, 2016: ROC approved

Dual Citizenship
Aug. 26, 2016: BBG application sent (permit to retain German citizenship)
Nov. 21, 2016: BBG approval notice received (p/u at German Honorary Consulate, OKC: Feb. 6, 2017)
Dec. 8, 2016: N-400 sent
Dec. 12, 2016: Priority Date (NBC)

Jan. 9, 2017: Biometrics Appointment

Aug. 31, 2017: In-Line for Interview

Sept. 6, 2017: Interview Scheduled

Oct. 16, 2017: Interview

Oct. 25, 2017: Oath Appointment Letter received

Nov. 1, 2017: Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Thanks HK12 for sharing your experience and your recommendation. Once I get the case number in the mail, I'll notify the embassy and work it from there. Glad to hear I don't have to go back to step 1.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.