Jump to content

K1/K2 visa and parental consent???

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, I'm a longtime lurker and first time poster.

I'm posting this now because we are in a bit of a tricky situation and could use some advise. I am the US sponsor and my fiancee and I are in the process of applying for the K1 visa in Mexico. We have received our NOA2 and are eligible to make an interview for her K1 visa now. The issue is that she has two children but has never been married and we are applying for K2 visas for her children. The father of the children has gone back and forth on the issue, some days saying he will sign a letter to allow the children to immigrate, and other days he has refused. Most recently, he made a death threat (with a gun) on my fiancee.

My fiancee called the cops, but by the time they were able to search him, they couldn't find the gun any more and were unable to arrest him. My fiancee pressed charges nevertheless for making death threats.

Obviously, we are going to get a lawyer, but I'm wondering what the best way is to proceed. Should we still try to get him to sign the papers, using threats if necessary (pay back of child support for instance?)? Or does she have legal recourse to try to immigrate to the US without parental consent given that he made death threats and a history of domestic abuse (documented in police reports)?

They were never married, but his name is on the birth certificates. He has never paid any child support.

Thanks in advance for any advise!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the legal custody status of the children?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.