Guam PHL

How long is a K1 Visa interview session?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi again Guam PHL! I posted this review after our interview. It is now lost among hundreds of other ones over the last year and 1/2. I thought you'd like to see it so I am posting it again here. Good luck!

"I don't see any problems. Your visa is APPROVED! Congratulations!"
Those beautiful words brought an 8 month journey to a close. Well, not a close, but a transition. Anyone who has been through the Fiancée visa process--or any visa process I imagine--knows that it is/was a long frustrating journey full of fear and uncertainty. The final step was wonderfully anti-climactic by comparison,.
We were in the 7:30AM tie slot for our interview at the embassy. Joan was up at 1:45 to get ready...I agreed to a 3:00 wake up call! We had instant noodles and bread and butter for breakfast and were in the taxi by 4:20AM! The embassy is a five minute taxi ride from the hotel so we pulled up at 4:30...to find an incredibly large bunch of people already waiting! Turns out that there were 6:15 and 6:30 time slots for tourist and other types of visas. The K-1 line was actually very short. We were the third in line. What looked chaotic at first was actually very well organized. There are plastic seats for rent for P30 (about 75 cents usd). It was soooo worth it even with a P20 tip! There was a snack and coffee stand set-up too. It was very interesting to sit and watch the sky lighten as the sun rose and Manila Bay awakened (it lived up to our nickname for it: the stinky bay!--unfortunately parts of the Bay don't smell very good!)...but we were thinking of other things so the smell faded fast.
The outdoor waiting area (cannot imagine what happens when it rains--we got lucky) is about 200 feet or so from the next holding area which is about 100 feet from the embassy entrance. There were about 20 of us in line for the K-1 visa by the time we were called to go. Joan went ahead of me but came back to walk with me because the people in line held our place. I was offered a wheelchair between the next two holding areas. I accepted but the distance really was not that great--of course we did not know that at the time. The wheelchair took a while so we began to think we would be late...but it did not matter.
The first line that counted was the entrance...sort of a tent set-up. Joan was asked for her appointment notice and forms (no one ever asked for the DS 230). The person checking the forms commented pleasantly that all the forms were already filled out! Then it was off through the first of two checkpoints...I just realized that I was never asked for my ID! Once you get through the first checkpoint (NO electronics!) you go to a window to be assigned a number. We got ours and proceeded to a huge waiting area but were then told to go back and get a different number for expedited processing because we had the wheelchair. You are given two copies...one gets stapled to your packet and one is given yo you to keep. "With wheelchair" was written on our number attached to our packet. We were then shown through a second checkpoint leading to the main waiting area. A greeter took our packet just past the checkpoint. Each set of numbers is processed in a different part of the large room, so the different lines outside made sense. However, once in the proper waiting area it did not seem to matter where you were on line. The numbers flash on a large board that tells you what window to proceed to. There is no apparent order to the numbers that flash!
Our number flashed to go to a window where they took Joan's fingerprints. We were told to return to the waiting area until the next step...well the expedited processing was true because we didn't even get back to our seat when we were called to a small room to meet with the Filipino Consul. He was businesslike, but pleasant and polite. He asked me if I minded if he talked to Joan in Tagalog. In fact he translated most of what he said anyway! The interview was over in less than 5 minutes. Joan signed the one form that you are instructed not to sign beforehand and then asked how we met, how many times I had been there (he was surprised when Joan said 4 times!). He asked if she was ever married and assumed that I had been married before. He joked that I waited a long time to get married. I said yes but good things come to those who wait! He took Joan's birth certificate, cenomar, and NBI. That was it for her! He then took my tax return and I-134. Finally he asked to see photos and said "OK now go back outside and wait for your number to flash. He smiled at Joan as we left and said "Mahalo" to me as we left! I thought the Hawaiian touch was nice.
So back to the waiting room...for a while...listen to the instructions of the greeters! Our number did NOT flash! The greeter was saying to move to a different part of the room if you were done with the finger printing and Filipino Consul. Joan's name was called as soon as we moved so who knows if we were called earlier!
Here it was...the big one...the American Consul! I stood up to be a part of the interview and he swore us both in. He was openly friendly from the start and asked Joan if she understood more Tagalog than English and provided an interpreter right away. I think he recognized that Joan's English was ok because he asked her if we could continue in English for my benefit. He asked how we met, when I came the first time, how long I stayed and how many times I visited. He was also surprised to hear that I was on my fourth trip! He asked me where I was from and said "oh that is not as bad as coming from the continental US! He asked what I did in Hawaii. He asked Joan if she was ever married and she asked him if he meant me and said no that I had not been married...then she said that she had not been married and he asked me. I said "no" and he laughed and said "then I guess it was 'no' for both of you!" He asked Joan if she had any children and then how we got engaged...what visit? Joan said "Bohol" and he laughed. He then asked what she loved about me and why she wanted to marry me. She said because I am humble and she loves me! The consul smiled a big smile and said "I don't see anything wrong here. Your visa is approved! Go back out and wait to be called to find out how to get your visa." We were there for less than 5 minutes!
The final step was to confirm how the visa would be delivered. Again Joan's name was called...no numbers flashing! The lady at this window was very friendly. I explained that I was leaving on June 11 and asked if there was any way to get the visa printed so Joan could join me. She asked if we had a ticket for her and seemed relieved when I said that we didn't. She then mentioned the CFO requirement and we said we were done with the CFO! She said that she could not promise, but she would put a note on our file and ask! I said "Thank you. That is all we can ask." She smiled and said "I think you can go now!"
We were back at the hotel in time to catch the end of breakfast! We were in front of people for probably a total of 15 minutes for four windows. The process was so very easy because we were well prepared with original papers ready to go (although there was no need to weigh ourselves down with two extra copies of everything!) We did see and hear people leaving because they did not have enough documentation or originals, so be careful in your preparations.
Joan and I want to offer our extreme thanks to everyone (especially Hank) on VJ and our new friends on FB for all the advice, support and encouragement along the way! It would have been a very different journey without you...
Now if you will excuse us, we have to see if the champagne in the freezer is cold enough to pop yet!
Addendum: Joan said that the first person to check the paperwork also looked for the cd from St. Luke's. One person did not have it and went home.
(updated on June 6, 2013)
PS (December 21, 2014) The visa arrived the day I left so Joan was not able to come back with me. She arrived in Honolulu two days later.

Mahalo Steve for posting this and i enjoyed reading about you and Joan's experience in your K1 journey. You both look awesome and happy in the picture! That's good and I'm happy for the both of you! :)

I am glad that you found my post useful. You will do great. Jus be patient through the process...it can be frustrating.

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am glad that you found my post useful. You will do great. Jus be patient through the process...it can be frustrating.

I understand, I believe the Petition and K1 process is the most stressful and fustrating phase but, after going thru this phase everything should be better with a sense of relief :)

I have a question for you Steve, according to the instructions to the I-134 Affidavit of Support (Revised 2/19/2014, Expires 2-29-16) I am required to submit proof that I meet the poverty line income (in which I far exceed the poverty guide for my hosehold) it states that I can submit any of the following documents as proof that I meet the povety guideline:

A. Statement from an officer of a bank with deposits, identifying the following details

regarding the account:

1) Date account opened

2) Total amount deposited for the past year; and

3) Present balance

B. Statement from my employer on a business stationary showing:

1) Date and nature of employment (type of work);

2) Salary paid; and

3) Whether the position is permanent or temporary

C. If self employed

1) Copy of last income tax filed; or

2) Report of commericia rating concern

I will be sending my fiance photocopies of evidentiary documents to produce (if/when asked by the Consular Officer) to the U.S. Consular Officer.

Another VJ member mentioned that my recent tax return and W2 would be sufficient enough as proof but I just want to get another advice or recommendation from you (since you have already went through the K1 process) as to whether I should "only" submit my recent TAX RETURN and W2's or submit "any one" of the requirements mentioned above along with my Tax Return and W2's?

Just curious and if you don't mind me asking, what did you send to Joan submit as proof to the Consul?

No problem! I am glad we can help. Your most recent tax return snd about 3-4 months of pay stubs is good. I also had a letter from my employer, but I am not sure they needed it. This is what we brought to the embassy (note that some of the forms have changed like DS 157, etc...check Hank's website for updates):

Hi,

I know that we each have our own way of organizing the materials for the interview and CFO (in the Philippines), but this is how Joan and I organized ours. Hopefully it will make it easy to find the papers when asked for them. There are five 9X12 envelopes with originals and two photocopies of the contents separated by paper clips—easy to hand over each set of documents or photocopies on demand. Here is what we have:

Envelope 1 (CFO—Philippine specific)

Registration form—two copies

Copy of my passport (bio page)

Copy of my birth certificate

Collage of photos from my three visits—three copies (3, not photocopied 2 more times)

Notarized Parental Advice

Copy of Joan’s parent’s letter to me accepting my request for her hand in marriage (in Tagalog and translated by Joan into English)

1x1 and 2x2 passport style photos

Joan’s Passport and copies of her bio page

Joan’s Cenomar and copies

Joan’s Postal ID and copies

My 1040 (ITR) cover sheet with SS# X’ed out (proof that I am singe)

Joan’s NBI in case they ask for it.

Envelope 2 (Embassy forms)

BPI Visa Receipt

Appointment Confirmation from website

NVC letter

NOA1

NOA2

DS-156—2 copies

DS-156K—2 copies

DS-157—2 copies

DS-160 Part 1 (and 2 but part 2 is not needed—the whole form printed)—2 copies (only 1 needed)

Joan’s Birth Certificate

Joan’s NBI

Joan’s Cenomar

Notarized Parental Advice

Joan’s Police Clearance (not required because Joan has not lived outside of the Philippines, but she wanted to get it)

3 2x2 photos (no photocopies)

Envelope 3 (Copy of original I-129F packet including original receipts)

Only one copy of this packet

Envelope 4 (Embassy financial packet)

I-1134

2012 W-2

2012 ITR (1040)

Last 4 pay stubs

Letter from bank (statement of deposits)

Proof of employment

Envelope 5 (Embassy proof of on-going relationship—maybe we will bring one copy to the CFO!)

Collage of photos my last trip to the Philippines (photos from my first two trips and our engagement are in the I-129F envelope)

Xoom money transfer receipts

Evidence of over 15,000 emails

Letter to a Congressman from a different state

Letter from that Congressman to USCIS (never sent because the NOA2 came first)

Letter to my Hawaii Congresswoman asking for an inquiry (just as the NOA2 came)

New Fiancé Letter of Intent

New Fiancée Letter of Intent

Letter from our Hawaii State Senator to USCIS

Sample emails spanning from NOA1 to now

I think we are READY!!!!!!!!

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.