bernie_elizabeth

Letter of Intent when interview is after priority date?

7 posts in this topic

Have any petitioners here had to re-send their letter of intent to marry before their fiance has the interview? Specifically, if the interview is over 4 months after the priority date? I feel like I remember reading that somewhere and it's bugging me. Ours is a couple weeks after that deadline and in the interview letter it says that we have to send one within 90 days after entry into the states, and to bring it to the interview. But the wording is confusing and I can't tell if they mean to just bring another one to the interview in London....or what. Should I just send one to the London embassy now?

I figured other people have had to deal with this issue but I'm not seeing any other posts when I try to search for it. Thanks so much!

There is no harm in taking an updated one TO the interview but I don't think you need to send it in advance..

Immigration Timeline

June 2013: Met whilst working at a summer camp in Michigan 

K1

November 1st 2014: I-129f submitted for K1 visa

February 24th 2015: Visa in hand!

February 26th 2015: POE at Las Vegas airport, then onwards to Oregon! 

March 6th 2015: Marriage (with a "real" wedding to follow next year on 7/6/2016)

March 9th 2015: AOS, EAD & AP submitted

September 22nd 2015: Interview

January 14th 2016: Two year Green card received -phew!

ROC

August 8th 2017: 90 day window begins! ROC time!

September 28th 2017: Biometric Appointment in Portland, OR

March 5th 2018: Case received by local office

August 18th 2018: 18 month extension letter mailed

December 2018: Case moved to another office

February 2019: I was emailed that I was approved and my card was in production the same day of my N400 interview 😂

N400

August 8th 2018: Window opens to submit naturalization application

August 13th 2018: N400 Application submitted online 

August 14th 2018: NOA1

September 6th 2018: Biometrics

February 6th 2019: Interview Date! APPROVED!

February 6th 2019: I was asked to return later the same day for my Oath Ceremony! :dance:

❤️ Our Visa Journey is finally complete ❤️

I am the Beneficiary

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think the advice on the interview letter is bring an updated one if your priority date has passed. However, I think London are pretty good about getting interviews scheduled before that date, unless there is a hold up with your medical or other information getting to them.

My advice is fill in the readiness form as soon as you have done your DS form, and scheduled your medical. I think my interview was 6 weeks after I submitted the form. I got my interview letter the week after my medical results got to the embassy.

Spoiler

K1 Journey:
2nd Jan 2014: I-129F Package Sent to USCIS (TSC)
8th Jan 2014: Check Cashed
13th Jan 2014: NOA1 (Hard Copy)
13th Jan 2014: Alien Registration Number Changed
28th Feb 2014: NOA2 (Online)
6th Mar 2014: NOA2 (Hard Copy)
11th Mar 2014: Sent to NVC
31st Mar 2014: Received at London Embassy
3rd Apr 2014: Packet 3 received
8th Apr 2014: Packet 3 sent
17th Apr 2014: Medical / 24th Apr 2014: Medical Sent to Embassy / 25th Apr 2014: Medical Logged by Embassy
30th Apr 2014: Interview Letter Received
19th May 2014: Interview (Approved)
21st May 2014: Visa Issued / 27th May 2014: Visa in Hand
16th June 2014: POE Chicago
30th Jun: Wedding!
25th Jul: AOS / EAD / AP Sent
15th Aug: Check Cashed
19th Aug: NOA1 Hard Copies Received (I-485, I-131, I-765)
29th Aug: Biometrics Letter Received 12th Sep: Biometrics Completed
20th Sep: NOA2 - EAD/AP Approved
22nd Sep: AOS moved to 'Testing and Interview'
25th Sep: EAD/AP Mailed & Tracking Number Provided (at 8.30pm)
27th Sep: EAD/AP Card Received in Mail
11th Nov: Interview Letter Received
17th Dec: Interview - APPROVED
17th Dec: Card in Production
17th Dec: Welcome Letter Mailed / 22nd Dec: Welcome Letter Received / 26th Dec: Green Card Received

16th Sep 2016: ROC Package Mailed to VSC

19 Sep: NOA 1 (Received in mail on 24 Sep)

21 Sep: Check Cashed

06 Oct: Biometrics Letter Received

18 Oct: Biometrics Appt

24 Aug 2017: I-751 Approved

28 Aug: Approval Letter Received

8 Sep: Card in Production

13 Sep: Card Mailed / 15 Sep: Card Received 

18 Sep: N-400 Sent via Mail to Dallas, TX / 20 Sep: NOA 1 / 21 Sep: Payment Cashed / 28 Sep: NOA 1 in Mail

6 Oct: Letter for Biometrics Received / 16 Oct: Biometrics Appt

Thanks folks. Our interview is already scheduled for AFTER that 4-month priority date deadline, so I know this issue comes into play somehow. I think bringing the letter to the interview should suffice, but if anyone else has experience with this, please chime in! Thanks again.

Thanks folks. Our interview is already scheduled for AFTER that 4-month priority date deadline, so I know this issue comes into play somehow. I think bringing the letter to the interview should suffice, but if anyone else has experience with this, please chime in! Thanks again.

What does your letter of instruction tell you. I have examples of a 2012 and 2013 letter. See second paragraph of this scanned letter that was posted.

2012 letter http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350185-london-2012-k1s-from-noa2-to-interview-thread/?p=5180175

Does your letter have the same paragraph? Can somebody scan and post a late 2014 (Packet 3) letter of instruction? I know somebody posted it later had dropped the "notarized" requirement. Does the current letter still mention a new letter of intent?

2013 letter http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350185-london-2012-k1s-from-noa2-to-interview-thread/page-113#entry6424623

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Thanks for the detailed reply! I think this is why I'm confused because I had read previous letters or just that info that other people had posted. The paragraph of our letter states:

"The K 1/3/4 petition is valid for four months from the priority date (listed at the bottom of this letter). If your interview will occur after your priority date, your fiancé must submit a statement of intent to marry within 90 days of your arrival in the US in order to revalidate the petition. Photocopies will not be accepted. Please submit on the day of your interview."

No mention of it needing to be notarized. But do you see why the wording is confusing? We need to submit it within 90 days of her entering the US...and also at the interview?

Thanks for the detailed reply! I think this is why I'm confused because I had read previous letters or just that info that other people had posted. The paragraph of our letter states:

"The K 1/3/4 petition is valid for four months from the priority date (listed at the bottom of this letter). If your interview will occur after your priority date, your fiancé must submit a statement of intent to marry within 90 days of your arrival in the US in order to revalidate the petition. Photocopies will not be accepted. Please submit on the day of your interview."

No mention of it needing to be notarized. But do you see why the wording is confusing? We need to submit it within 90 days of her entering the US...and also at the interview?

It means the new letter must say "I John Smith am free to marry and intend to marry Sue Jones within 90 days of my arrival in the US on a K1 visa."

It is stating that he plans to marry within the 90 days after POE.

Others have taken such letter and nobody even asked for it, so it's not a huge deal to them. You need nothing more than that signed and dated statement. They say original, but I have known two where there accepted a scanned and emailed copy. BUT you should follow their instruction and have a properly worded and signed original and you're good to go.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.