Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Driving licence in California when he arrives!!!???

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

We got accepted today and we are so happy but we are already thinking ahead. Now my fiancé has a full drivers licence and we understand that he will need to do his theory and practical again. I have tried looking for some information and it appears to be very different from state to state. Even the DMV.CA is not clear. When can he book his theory? Can he do it as soon as he gets a SSN? or does he have to wait for AOS and EAD?


February 14th 2015 - Wedding Day 


AOS Timeline

Apr 13th 2015 - Sent AOS package (Day 1)

Apr 17th 2015 - AOS email confirmation (Day 5)
Apr 17th 2015 - AOS email confirmation (Day 5)

May 2nd 2015 - Biometrics letter received (Day 20)

May 14th 2015 - Biometrics appointment (Day 32)
Jul 11th 2015 -
EAD/AP was in production (Day 90)

Jul 29th 2015 - EAD/AP was being mailed (Day 108)
Jul 31st 2015 - EAD/AP was received (Day 110)

Sep 25th 2015 - Green Card APPROVED!!! (Day 166)

Sep 28th 2015 - Green Card welcome letter received (Day 169)
Oct 1st 2015 - Green Card Received (Day 172)

*No RFE's*


I-751 Timeline

Aug 12th 2017 - Sent I-751 package (Day 1)

Aug 14th 2017 - I-751 Package delivered to USCIS (Day 3)

Aug 17th 2017 - USCIS cashed check (Day 5)

Aug 19th 2017 - NOA letter received (Day 7) 

Sep 11th 2017 - Biometrics letter received (Day 30)

Sep 22nd 2017 - Biometrics Appointment (Day 42)

Mar 5th 2018 - Case was received at my local office (Day 206)

Nov 28th 2018 - Request for initial evidence was mailed to me (Day 473)

Dec 17th 2018 - Evidence was received by USCIS (Day 492)


Naturalization Timeline

Dec 17th 2018 - Sent N-400 package online (Day 1)



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner's property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.

To apply for an original driver license if you are over 18, you will need to do the following:

  • Visit a DMV office (make an Appointment(s) for faster service)
  • Complete application form DL 44 (An original DL 44 form must be submitted. Copies will not be accepted.)
  • Give a thumb print
  • Have your picture taken
  • Provide your social security number. It will be verified with the Social Security Administration while you are in the office.
  • Verify your birth date and legal presence If your current name no longer matches the name on your birth data/legal presence document, see "True Full Name" and "How to Change Your Name" for more information.
  • Birth date verification and legal presence requirements

    The issue of identification reliability, integrity, and confidentiality is of prime concern to all citizens. Eligibility for government services, issuance of various licenses, assessment of taxes, the right to vote, etc., are all determined through evaluations based on identification documents. It is critical that identification documents be authenticated and accurate in identifying each individual. The California driver license and ID card have been declared as primary identification documents in this state by the California legislature.

    State law requires every applicant for an original California identification (ID) card and driver license to show verification of birth date and proof of legal presence within the United States to help safeguard the accuracy and integrity of departmental documents.

    If your current name no longer matches the name on your birth date/legal presence document, see "True Full Name" and "How to Change Your Name" for more information.

    Only the original or a certified copy of one of the following documents is acceptable:

    • US Birth Certificate (certified copy from state or local vital statistics office)
    • US Certificate of Birth Abroad or Report of Birth Abroad
    • Federal Proof of Indian Blood Degree
    • USCIS American Indian Card
    • Birth Certificate or passport issued from a US Territory
    • US Passport or US Passport Card
    • US Military Identification Cards (Active or reserve duty, dependent of a military member, retired member, discharged from service, medical/religious personnel)
    • Common Access Card (only if designated as Active military or Active Reserve or Active Selected Reserve)
    • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
    • Northern Mariana Card
    • USCIS US Citizen ID Card
    • Permanent Resident Card
    • Temporary Resident Identification Card
    • Canadian Passport/Birth Certificate
    • Non-resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card
    • Valid foreign passport with a valid Record of Arrival/Departure (form I-94) - when your initial entry I-94 expires your initial DL will expire too
    • "Processed for I-551" stamped in a valid foreign passport
    • Permanent Resident Re-entry Permit
    • Refugee travel document
    • Certified court order or judgment issued from a court of competent jurisdiction. Must contain name, birth date, place of birth, legal presence status, and judge's signature.
    • Certification from California Department of Corrections or California Youth Authority
    • Employment Authorization Card
    • Valid I-94 stamped "Refugee," "Parole or Parolee," "Asylee," or Section 207, Section 208, Section 209, Section 212d(2), HP or PIP
    • Valid I-94 with attached photo stamped "Processed for I-551 temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence"
    • Notice of Action (I-797 Approved Petition) - must indicate approved extension of stay or change in status that grants temporary or permanent residency, or indicates that an original, duplicate or renewal Resident Alien card is forthcoming.
  • Provide your true full name
  • Pay the application fee
  • Pass a vision exam
  • Pass a traffic laws and sign test. There are 36 questions on the test. You have three chances to pass.(Sample Test)



17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days



4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail


8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED


April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the "Moving to the US & Your New Life" forum, where similar topics are often discussed. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.