Sign in to follow this  
dinachuck

HONG KONG POLICE CLEARANCE LETTER

2 posts in this topic

I was wondering how I go about instructing the HONG KONG POLICE to send my wife's CLEARANCE LETTER to the appropriate consulate. Is there a pdf form letter for this? I have found the Hong Kong Police application online but not a letter from the US Govt.

i found this on the HONG KONG POLICE FORCE

4. All applications must contain the following documents:

a) A completed application form .

b) A photocopy of his or her Hong Kong Identity Card / valid Travel Document.

c) A photocopy of a letter from the relevant Consulate / Immigration Authority / Government Authority, which contains his or her name and clearly indicates that the production of the Certificate is required.

d) A photocopy of the documents proving his or her relationship with the Principal Applicant for the application if the said letter does not contain his or her own name.

e) A full set of his or her fingerprints taken and certified by a recognized police or law enforcement agency where he or she presently resides. A full set of fingerprints should include the impression of each of his or her fingers, the plain impression of the four fingers of his or her left and right hand taken simultaneously, and the plain impressions of thumbs. Certification of the fingerprints must clearly state:

i. The name and rank of the person taking the fingerprints

ii. The full name of the police or law enforcement agency with their official chop, and

iii. The date and place taken

Fingerprints submitted that do not clearly show certification are not acceptable. Fingerprints taken by the applicants themselves, a legal representative or private / commercial agency are also unacceptable.

f) A bank draft to the amount of HK$205 per person, made payable to "The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region". The draft must be payable in Hong Kong. A personal cheque in Hong Kong dollar which is issued and authorized by any licenced banks in Hong Kong is also acceptable.
Please note that the processing fee will be adjusted to HK$210 per person with effect from 2 January 2015.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

As far as I'm aware the NVC don't issue specific letters requesting individual country criminal record checks and you can't request one so before sending my actual police check request to HK I sent them - using the email on the website you found - a scan of the cover letter (the one you print when you've paid your fees when they first contact you after i-130 approval) I will use when submitting my documents before getting a consular interview.

I used this as it has my name and case number on it - which is what they like to see in HK.

In my email, along with the scan I advised them that the only proof of request I can give them is this cover letter and an accompanying link (section of the travel.state.gov website) listing the documents needed.

I then contacted them a few times until they confirmed the cover letter was enough. When they did I sent my proper request by post with a payment and it's been processed with no problems.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.