Ayumi_Hamasaki

Name change after conditional GC was approved

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country:
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I had been on F-1 (student) visa before I adjusted my status to permanent resident. When I filed my AOS, my university's international student office advised me not to change my last name because I was adjusting from F-1. We got married in Illinois without changing my last name because it could have complicated the AOS process. I have my conditional GC now.

The point here is that I want to change my last name to my partner's when I remove conditions. Because our marriage certificate shows my unchanged family name, I believe I must change my last name through a court? I will wait to do this until my two-year period is up because I do not want to pay for extra to get a new replacement GC.

So the question is:

1) When is the best time to file for name change before two-year period is up?

2) Is it possible to change my last name when I have my two-year condition removed? I live in Illinois. I read here that it's possible to change for free of charge when I become a U.S. citizen. But then again, it's not possible any more to change names at the time of naturalization (depends on the state in which you lvie). Any other way you know of?

3) Where do I start? (change my marriage certificate first??)

I'd appreciate your input on this. I read posts from years ago, and some of these pieces of information may not be application to 2014-2015. So I'd like up-to-date information on this. Thanks in advance!

ROC

04/06/16

- I-751 mailed by priority

04/08/16

- NOA1

11/30/16

- card ordered (no interview)

You were advised incorrectly. You should have opted to change your name when you married so that your marriage cert would reflect that. You aren't required to update your legal docs right away so at least you could have had the certificate with the new name now.

You can change your name anytime you want because there is no requirement that you update your docs right away once you change your name. I for example changed my name back in 2008 and didn't apply for a new citizenship cert for 3 years.

Therefore you can change your name through court now or closer to when you have to do ROC if you want and then update your docs with your new name. You can submit the I-751 with the new name as long as you have the document that changes your name.

You can also change your name on your SSN and DL now when you have the court order and change the GC when you do ROC. I have seen plenty of people who change their names and update their docs later. My grandma for example had her married name all over the place and her maiden name on her GC for like 15 years (she had the old edition of the card and didn't want to pay to renew it).

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from ROC to Moving to the US and Your New Life in America Forum~

~Inquiry about post-AOS name change, not ROC-related~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: France
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I'm in the exact same situation I'm immgrating from France and I had a little question for you,

I'm in Florida, about to get married and I intend to change my name after marriage, should I just write the new name I want in the marriage certificate right away? Even before filing the I-130 ?

The new name will be a little different from my passport name

Old name : Amir Charles Grandval

New name : Zachary Charles Grandval Meyer (Zachary Meyer is the name of my grandfather)

Do you think that is possible through marriage in Florida?

I don't think you are allowed to change your first name through marriage. I know for a fact in NY they don't let you and I doubt other states allow it either. The only way to change your first name is through court order if you want to do it now, or when you become a USC.

Again I don't know how it works in FL, but here in NY you are allowed to pick a new last name altogether so they would let you change your last name to your grandfather's.

One thing you have to keep in mind, which is a problem for some, is the ability to change your passport. You want to find out before changing your name if you will experience any difficulties changing your French passport with US issued documents whether you decide to change your name through marriage, court, or naturalization.

The reason I mention is because my country for example is so corrupt that they typically don't accept documents from other countries and you have to do the process over there which is expensive, time consuming, and burdensome. I haven't been able to change my name on any of my Dominican documents despite having a perfectly valid US court order.

Yes, I am aware that some people are able to travel with proof of their name change without issue, but just find out to be sure because my country for example is one that will not let you travel with your GC in one name and your passport in another even if you have the proof. Through marriage I cannot say, but other kinds of name changes I know that they don't.

Hi everyone,

I'm in the exact same situation I'm immgrating from France and I had a little question for you,

I'm in Florida, about to get married and I intend to change my name after marriage, should I just write the new name I want in the marriage certificate right away? Even before filing the I-130 ?

The new name will be a little different from my passport name

Old name : Amir Charles Grandval

New name : Zachary Charles Grandval Meyer (Zachary Meyer is the name of my grandfather)

Do you think that is possible through marriage in Florida?

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: Other Country: France
Timeline

Thanks for your infos Ian!

I looked it up in Florida you can change first name and last name if you want it's not a problem,

For France I think it's the same as what you say about Dominican Republic, I called the consulate this morning and they told me they don't care about american laws.

Is it a problem to go to Dominican Republic for you? Or a problem to come back from Dominican Republic?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.