Jump to content

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Other Timeline

Hello, I am starting to fill out the paperwork for the AOS for my wife. She came here a few weeks ago on a K-1 and we just got married.

I do not have a job right now so my parents will be joint sponsors. We are also living with them for now.

My mother has a steady income but my father does not. My mothers income is just barely below the 125% guideline. However, my parents own a rental property of which the value will exceed the minimum requirements. I would like to put that property on the I-864 but I have a few questions first.

1. On the I-864, since both my parents own that property, do they split the value? My mom will fill out her own I-864 and my dad an I-864A. For their joint bank accounts do they split the value as well?

2. Can we use the most recent tax assessment to valuate the house? An appraisal is quite expensive.

I am not even sure if we need to use the house as an asset to meet the requirements. But I want to use it just in case. The reason is because although my dad does work, he works odd jobs here and there and does not have steady income nor does he make very much money. I think it will be safer to use my mothers income plus the rental property as an asset.

Thank you

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Country: Mexico

They need 5 times whatever amount they are short in income for their household size plus the intending immigrant. If they have no other dependents, then they need enough for a household of 3.

You could divide the joint assets evenly between them and list half for mom and half for dad. Supply the documentation needed to prove ownership and net value.

If they use property, then yes, they need an appraisal.

From Page 7 of the I-864 instructions>

Only assets that can be converted into cash within one year and without considerable hardship or financial loss to the
owner may be included. The owner of the asset must include a description of the asset, proof of ownership, and the basis
for the owner's claim of its net cash value.

You may include the net value of your home as an asset. The net value of the home is the appraised value of the home,
minus the sum of any and all loans secured by a mortgage, trust deed, or other lien on the home. If you wish to include the
net value of your home, this, you must include documentation demonstrating that you own it, a recent appraisal by a
licensed appraiser, and evidence of the amount of any and all loans secured by a mortgage, trust deed, or other lien on the
You may not include the net value of an automobile unless you show that you have more than one automobile, and
at least one automobile is not included as an asset.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ%20-%20Ciudad%20Juarez.pdf

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...