Mr. Big Dog

An Immigrant’s Death Exposes German Struggle for a Multicultural Ideal

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

:(

An Immigrant’s Death Exposes German Struggle for a Multicultural Ideal

Tugce Albayrak’s Death Rattles Germany

BERLIN — The death of a Turkish-German student who tried to stop a young man from taunting two teenage girls has galvanized Germany at a time when its dealings with immigrants and its attempts to forge a more multicultural society are being intensely debated.

In a chilling surveillance video posted online by the Bild Zeitung newspaper, the student, Tugce Albayrak, who had intervened to help the girls, can be seen becoming involved in an altercation with the young man in the parking lot of a McDonald’s in Offenbach, a town near Frankfurt, in mid-November. Much is murky in the video, but a young woman with dark hair falls to the concrete ground of the parking lot, and then is still. Ms. Albayrak never regained consciousness, and her life support was switched off at her parents’ request on Friday, her 23rd birthday.

Whether Ms. Albayrak, who was studying at the University of Giessen to become a schoolteacher, died from a blow to her head by the youth, identified only as Sanel M., 18, or from her fall to the ground is not clear. Her family members, who will bury her Wednesday, have objected to the posting of the video, which the authorities say they are investigating.

What is certain is that her fate has resonated because of heavy attention from conventional and social media, and also because Germany is immersed in discussion about how best to integrate non-Germans pouring in both as potential workers and as refugees fleeing war and hardship, from the Middle East to Africa. Although changing demographic patterns mean that foreign workers are critical to the continued success of Germany’s economy, the immigrants are not always made to feel welcome.

On Monday, Chancellor Angela Merkel hosted what her office billed as an “integration summit,” the seventh such meeting, and urged employers to ensure that immigrants and refugees received the same training opportunities as native Germans.

Ms. Albayrak represented a growing group of immigrant women, frequently from Turkey, who are entering professional life, often as teachers and social workers, but also as journalists and politicians.

That gave her death resonance beyond the misfortune of a good Samaritan who sacrificed her life trying to protect others. The youth suspected of attacking her is in detention; the two girls she reportedly tried to protect came forward and testified to the police only late on Monday.

President Joachim Gauck, a former East German pastor who has made a point of opening up his presidential palace to multicultural gatherings, wrote to Ms. Albayrak’s parents this week. “Like countless citizens, I am horrified and shaken by this terrible deed,” he wrote. “Our whole country is grieving with you.”

An Internet petition calling for Ms. Albayrak to be awarded the country’s highest civilian honor has garnered more than 158,000 signatures. Mr. Gauck would have to make a special exception to confer the award, which is not given posthumously.

About 180,000 people have “liked” a Facebook page established by Ms. Albayrak’s friends, which is headlined, “Tugce showed civic courage; let us show her respect.” McDonald’s paid for a full-page ad in Tuesday’s editions of Bild.

“We grieve for an extraordinary woman, who showed civic courage and in doing so lost her life,” the ad says, in German and Turkish.

Losing one's life to protect another, is there any greater cause?

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Losing one's life to protect another, is there any greater cause?

Not that I can think of at the moment as it was an amazing gesture of humanity towards a stranger.

IMO, having the luxury of pondering the consequences whether to act or not, it would be a most difficult decision for me. Would I potentially want to leave my family fatherless and husbandless?

Not that I can think of at the moment as it was an amazing gesture of humanity towards a stranger.

IMO, having the luxury of pondering the consequences whether to act or not, it would be a most difficult decision for me. Would I potentially want to leave my family fatherless and husbandless?

It's not an easy decision under any circumstances.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

It's not an easy decision under any circumstances.

Agreed...part of my point. In the heat of the moment, one might not consider the consequences. I on the other hand have that luxury and honestly, I'm not sure I'd follow through. My loss would leave my children fatherless and my wife without her husband.

RIP to him.

Edited by Torete

Germany is trying to attract international students and become more culturally diverse to my understanding. They are even offering free tuition now. This is a set back for the good people of Germany but they will prevail.

Filed: Timeline

Agreed...part of my point. In the heat of the moment, one might not consider the consequences. I on the other hand have that luxury and honestly, I'm not sure I'd follow through. My loss would leave my children fatherless and my wife without her husband.

RIP to him.

Him? The victim was a young lady.

Jesus did it willingly.

As did this young Muslim lady. Edited by Mr. Big Dog

Jesus did it willingly.

I'd take a bullet to save someone's life. Just not in the chest or any other major organs.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg