Jack88

Questions on father's name change on G325-A and question on I-130 form

5 posts in this topic

Hi community,

So I'm in the last stage in order to file my AOS package I-130 along with I-485 and I-765 along with accompanying I-864 and G-325-A I-693.

So far everything is going all right I've found answers to almost all my questions except for these:

The I-130 form and the I-485 as well ask for my foreign birth certificate along with a translation made by a certified interpreter, this I have but there's an issue; my dad changed his name a few years after I was born the difference is minimal only one letter but the change did take place, it was legal and all his documents passport national ID card from our country (Venezuela) and even his non-immigrant USA tourist visa go by his 'new' name.

However, my birth certificate is NOT for when you ask a copy to the bureau of birth records they'll give you a copy of what is in their files and that birth certificate has my dad's old name, other than that naturally everything is the same namely, place of birth, date of birth last names etc.

Now, my question is what to do in regards to filling out the form where it asks my dad's name should I put the name as it appears in my foreign birth certificate and just leave it like that, or should I attach an additional sheet explaining about my dad's name change along with all the supportive documents namely copy of an old national ID card with his old name, copy of his new passport with the named changed and copy his new national ID. I could even include copy of his non-immigrant tourist visa issued by the USA government which is current and has the 'new' name. What do you think guys?

Finally in regards to my question about the I-130 form it asks for your place of employment (if any) and its address, I'm on an F-1 visa in its OPT post completion stage I'm currently employed with my University in a discipline related to my major so I can maintain my legal status here. However the address is too long to be typed in the space the form gives you, does this justifies the attachment of an additional sheet or could I just put the city and state (is a USA college naturally) and leave it like that? I already had to attach an additional sheet for the G-325-A form, for the space given for my addresses and employer's address was too limited but is it worth it in the I-130 form case?

Thanks so much in advance guys!

Kind regards.

(1) Use your Father's current name and attached all necessary documents you mentioned esp the sheet where you explain that your father changed his name.

(2) When address or even dates (for example in !-765 you need to put from and to) will not fit in the space if you type it just write it (I did that with my EAD-OPT and AOS and I had no problem with it).

Good luck!

08/20/2014 Application (I-130/I-485 concurrent filing) received at Chicago lockbox

09/04/2014 NOA (text and email) at 12:40 AM

09/05/2014 USCIS case status activated

I-485 is forwarded to Nebraska Service Center (dated 09/02/2014 for the fingerprint fee): Acceptance Status

I-130, I-131 and I-765 are all dated 08/20/2014 (all are at Initial Review)

09/08/2014 NOA hard copies received

09/12/2014 Biometrics appointment letters, scheduled on 09/24/204

09/24/2014 Biometrics done :)

11/08/2014 EAD in production (called USCIS 11/05/2014 and they put in a service request for me)

11/14/2014 Ready to be scheduled for interview! Hooray! :)

11/18/2014 Got my EAD/AP in the mail. ;)

12/06/2017 Received notice for interview (Jan 8) :D

01/08/2015 Interview, verbal approval

01/12/2015 New Card in Production!

01/17/2015 GC received!!! but not done yet, my name is "incorrect," I have not changed my last name yet and they change it in the card. The EAD and AP are correct though.

Even if I handwrite it it won't fit.

Thinking about the issue with my dad's name, I'm starting to consider to just leave it like that, I mean realistically I am the one on the spot here for I am the applicant not him what difference would it make in practical terms?

I talked to him shortly after posting my questions and although he does have the documents I mentioned above stating his 'new' name, regrettably he does not have any document stating his old name I mean all those papers have gotten lost or destroyed with the passing of time it has been 24 years since he made this switch.

So I do not know what to think.

Btw, thanks for your answer my friend!

Edited by Jack88

Even if I handwrite it it won't fit.

Thinking about the issue with my dad's name, I'm starting to consider to just leave it like that, I mean realistically I am the one on the spot here for I am the applicant not him what difference would it make in practical terms?

I talked to him shortly after posting my questions and although he does have the documents I mentioned above stating his 'new' name, regrettably he does not have any document stating his old name I mean all those papers have gotten lost or destroyed with the passing of time it has been 24 years since he made this switch.

So I do not know what to think.

Btw, thanks for your answer my friend!

For the address for University, just put City and State. That's what I did.

08/20/2014 Application (I-130/I-485 concurrent filing) received at Chicago lockbox

09/04/2014 NOA (text and email) at 12:40 AM

09/05/2014 USCIS case status activated

I-485 is forwarded to Nebraska Service Center (dated 09/02/2014 for the fingerprint fee): Acceptance Status

I-130, I-131 and I-765 are all dated 08/20/2014 (all are at Initial Review)

09/08/2014 NOA hard copies received

09/12/2014 Biometrics appointment letters, scheduled on 09/24/204

09/24/2014 Biometrics done :)

11/08/2014 EAD in production (called USCIS 11/05/2014 and they put in a service request for me)

11/14/2014 Ready to be scheduled for interview! Hooray! :)

11/18/2014 Got my EAD/AP in the mail. ;)

12/06/2017 Received notice for interview (Jan 8) :D

01/08/2015 Interview, verbal approval

01/12/2015 New Card in Production!

01/17/2015 GC received!!! but not done yet, my name is "incorrect," I have not changed my last name yet and they change it in the card. The EAD and AP are correct though.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.