Together4ever

Drivers License Question

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My husband came on a K1 and of course we are adjusting status. He does not presently have an international driver's license, but is wanting to get his learner's permit and then license. The office here says it will expire when his K1 does, regardless of pending AOS. Can he apply for an international DL so the poor guy can drive to work? Any information anyone can share is appreciated. Thanks so much.

My husband came on a K1 and of course we are adjusting status. He does not presently have an international driver's license, but is wanting to get his learner's permit and then license. The office here says it will expire when his K1 does, regardless of pending AOS. Can he apply for an international DL so the poor guy can drive to work? Any information anyone can share is appreciated. Thanks so much.

Hi, I am not too sure how relevant this is for you. I live in Washington state and came from Canada on TN Visa which only had a validity of one year. So this is kind of like your situation where my immigration status only has short term validity. However, they didnt ask me anything about my immigration status in the United States. All they needed was my Canadian driving license to punch out after the driving test. Some states, as I understand it, need a social security number before they let you get a driving license. So my suggestion might be for your husband to go and ask to take a driving test, show proof of residence in the state, and not volunteer any information regarding immigration status. At the state level they are usually concerned more about whether you live in that state more so than immigration status. But maybe this wont work. Hope this helps.

June 29, 2007 : Erin and Muraari's Wedding in Seattle, WA (YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

July 24, 2007: Mailed all paperwork to Chicago (Wish us luck)

Aug 31, 2007: Biometrics Appointment

Sep 1, 2007: Received NOA1 (Dated Aug 29)

Nov 25, 2007: Received notice for interview in Baltimore, MD (No touches, nothing online to date)

Jan 22, 2008: Interview in Baltimore, MD. Went well.

Jan 29, 2008: Can finally track I-130 online. Approved.

Jan 31, 2008: Email I-485 "Card production ordered"

Feb 5, 2008: Another email I-485 "Card production ordered"

Feb 7, 2008: Received I-130 approval and I-485 "Welcome to America Letter" in snail mail

Feb 7, 2008: Email I-485 "Approval notice mailed"

Feb 9, 2008: GC in hand....... (Done with USCIS for a few months) YAYY!!!!!!

Oct 22, 2009: Process starts again. Going to mail I-751 to VSC

Jan 26, 2010: Notice of Approval and Card Production for 10-year GC

Feb 3, 2010: 10-Year GC Received

He has neither yet so I was wondering if anyone knows if in the interim it would be an option for him to get an international dl?

Thank you for the input. I did check the local office website but didn't provide this answer and I am not able to call at this time. I work for a call center and cannot use the phone but needed the info. Thanks.

Together4ever,

An 'international driver's license' serves no useful purpose other than as a translation of a foreign license that is not in the English language.

How long your husband can drive on his foreign driver's license will depend on your state DMV laws regarding visitor's driving priviledges and when your state considers that your husband is no longer a visitor. The former will be quite clear, the latter may not be.

Yodrak

Edited by Yodrak

Can he apply for an international DL so the poor guy can drive to work?

If he wants to work, he needs an EAD. If he has it, the he can get a CA license :)

Bartek

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.