mdzcpa

Need opinions - Language used at the Interview

10 posts in this topic

I have a question about the interview process and language. My understanding

is that the interview will only be conducted in one language. Is this true? My wife speaks

very little English (she has been taking classes for a year but has a long way

to go), so we are going to request the interview in Spanish.

The problem is that my Spanish is only mediocre. If people in the Dominican speak

slowly and I have the opportunity to ask them to repeat or clarify, I can usually understand

everything pretty well. My wife and I understand each other perfectly as we

have been together for 2.5 years and we've developed our own Spanish. We started off using smartphones translate, but over the 2.5 years, 20+ visits to see her in the Dominican, and our countless hours of Skype, we need no longer need any type of assistance in understanding one another.

The way we communicate is kind of cute and the family jokes that we speak "Espanol de Mike" as my Spanish is not correct and I make a lot of errors. But no one teases me. Rosalit and her family

understand me just fine. As do most people on the street in the Dominican. But

the problem is that at times I do struggle hear everything well and understand her family and others

when they speak fast, use slang, or use words I don't know because its a new

situation. We laugh sometimes because Rosalit will often times translate what

others are saying for me using the basic Spanish and words I know.

Now that the interview is coming, this has gone from cute to worrisome. Do you feel this is going to be a problem? We know we communicate perfectly fine, but a CO using new words and speaking fast might trip me up. And I'm unsure if Rosalit will be able to translate for me. What are everyone's thoughts here??

Edited by mdzcpa

I am waiting on some good opinions for this topic, I am in the same exact boat. With my NY spanish and her Dominican english along with each others bodys language we understand each other very well over the past 3 years.

This is funny to me as this posting is one that I could copy and paste myself as all the comments by the original poster relate to me and my SO.

Please someone give us some guidance.

Not to worry it should be in Spanish. When we had our interview the CO was very cordial and he actually ask the questions to my wife in Spanish. I on the other hand kept answering in English.. Don't sweat it guys everything will turn out fine!!! You've made it this far, remember that these questions are simply to confirm what you have already provided in you evidence submittal... Good luck to you

We had our interview just a few weeks ago and it went very well. The CO spoke to us in english and spanish. My spanish isnt that great so she talked to me in english and my fiance in spanish. We had no problems. You guys will be fine. :) Good luck!

As mentioned, the government officials should be bi-lingual.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Thank you so much for these comments! I feel better. We know our relationship and evidence is super solid. It was only the language of the interview that had us worried.

Again thank you. VJ has been an incredible source of information during this process.

We are the same. An American friend who is bi-lingual said she was unsure but when she saw us communicating it was clear we understood each other very well and had developed our own system. I say we have the best communication because we are always asking each other "Do you understand?" and saying things in a different way if the other one doesn't understand. ;)

Everything I've read (and asked) has indicated that we will be able to do our interviews in two languages. I am in the same boat - I understand when they speak slowly but new words trip me up and I speak like a 5 year old - always the wrong tense! ;)

Best of luck!

I have a question about the interview process and language. My understanding
is that the interview will only be conducted in one language. Is this true? My wife speaks
very little English (she has been taking classes for a year but has a long way
to go), so we are going to request the interview in Spanish.

The problem is that my Spanish is only mediocre. If people in the Dominican speak
slowly and I have the opportunity to ask them to repeat or clarify, I can usually understand
everything pretty well. My wife and I understand each other perfectly as we
have been together for 2.5 years and we've developed our own Spanish. We started off using smartphones translate, but over the 2.5 years, 20+ visits to see her in the Dominican, and our countless hours of Skype, we need no longer need any type of assistance in understanding one another.

The way we communicate is kind of cute and the family jokes that we speak "Espanol de Mike" as my Spanish is not correct and I make a lot of errors. But no one teases me. Rosalit and her family
understand me just fine. As do most people on the street in the Dominican. But
the problem is that at times I do struggle hear everything well and understand her family and others
when they speak fast, use slang, or use words I don't know because its a new
situation. We laugh sometimes because Rosalit will often times translate what
others are saying for me using the basic Spanish and words I know.

Now that the interview is coming, this has gone from cute to worrisome. Do you feel this is going to be a problem? We know we communicate perfectly fine, but a CO using new words and speaking fast might trip me up. And I'm unsure if Rosalit will be able to translate for me. What are everyone's thoughts here??

I am waiting on some good opinions for this topic, I am in the same exact boat. With my NY spanish and her Dominican english along with each others bodys language we understand each other very well over the past 3 years.

This is funny to me as this posting is one that I could copy and paste myself as all the comments by the original poster relate to me and my SO.

3-26-14 Mailed I-129F via USPS signature confirmation
3-29-14 Signature confirmation (4am on a Saturday! ;))
4-3-14 Text message from USCIS saying that case was received (NOA1) and transferred to Texas Service Center
4-3-14 Check Cashed
4-3-14 Alien Registration Number changed
4-7-14 Official Paper NOA1 received in the mail
8-11-14 Notice of Transfer to CSC
9-17-14 NOA2 received by e-mail and text message
10-09-14 NVC received
10-10-14 Case # assigned
10-15-14 NVC says "In Transit"

10-16-14 NCV says "Ready"
10-17-14 DHL says package delivered

10-18-14 Received Paper NVC notice (with fiance's first name spelled wrong)

11-9-14 Received appt letter

11-19-14 Received E-mail with interview date for 1-7-15

1-7-15 Interview - Approved but medical exam was not at consulate due to holidays
3-11-2015 Finally received visa.
8-8-15 Traveled to the US together. Arrived in Boston with no problems.

It's comforting to know I'm not along here. I guess it should be easy to presume here on VJ that there must be numerous similar situations. But most of the embassy reviews I read typically don't touch on language. So it appears never to be an issue for anyone else.

We are the same. An American friend who is bi-lingual said she was unsure but when she saw us communicating it was clear we understood each other very well and had developed our own system. I say we have the best communication because we are always asking each other "Do you understand?" and saying things in a different way if the other one doesn't understand. ;)

Everything I've read (and asked) has indicated that we will be able to do our interviews in two languages. I am in the same boat - I understand when they speak slowly but new words trip me up and I speak like a 5 year old - always the wrong tense! ;)

Best of luck!

LOL. This made me chuckle. I know I'm right around the 5 year level as well.

Good luck to everyone on the thread and I hope for everyone's CC soon.

They do speak spanish. Our interview I was asked if I speak english, I said yes, so the interview was in english. Only at the end, when explaining the IMBRA pamphlet, she did it in spanish.

They can ask you how you both talk to each other, i mean what language you both use...in our case it is only english.

One thing, if rosalita feels that she may get nervous, she can chose to have the interview in spanish so she can understand better the questions and answer appropriately.

Everything will be fine, good luck :)

10/08/2014 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

10/16/2014 - NOAs:

11/18/2014 - Bio. Appointment

11/25/2014 - AOS Update (Ready for Interview)

12/30/2014 - EAD Approved (Card in production)

12/30/2014 - AP Approved

01/06/2015 - EAD/AP Card Mailed

01/07/2015 - EAD/AP Card Received

01/14/2015 - AOS Update (Interview scheduled)

02/18/2015 - AOS Interview (Approved!)

02/18/2015 - AOS Updated (Card is being produced)

02/19/2015 - Welcome Notice Mailed

02/24/2015 - Welcome Notice Received

02/24/2015 - Card mailed

02/27/2015 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

12/27/2016 - ROC filed (California Service Center)

12/28/2016 - NOA

01/08/2017 - Bio. Appointment Notice received

01/25/2017 - Bio. Appointment done.

12/12/2017 - I-551 Stamp on passport

06/12/2017 - "Approval Notice" DHS website (notice mailed)

06/12/2018 - Card in production

06/16/2018 - Approval Notice/Notice of Action received in the mail.

06/19/2018 GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

Thank you so much for all your replies, it appears every response is the same, so I will cross that off my list of things to worry about :rolleyes:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.