Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

I-751 filed jointly and still pending, now getting divorced

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone,

My husband and I filed a joint petition to remove conditions on my residency back in July with Vermont. It is still pending. We have been married for 4 years and have plenty of evidence of a bona fide marriage. However, since we filed the petition, things changed for us as a couple and long story short, we have decided to get a divorce. My question is, what does it mean for my I-751? Do I have to notify them immediately that we have made the decision to divorce? If so, how do I move ahead with that? We haven't started the divorce proceedings yet but we are meeting with a lawyer next week. We are still living at the same house, but not for long... Please help, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would check with immigration lawyer


day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.


day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Timeline

I don't think you are actually obligated to do anything. I don't think you are defrauding anyone if you simply let the process run its course. Maybe you will get approved.

If you get an RFE or are called for an interview, it would probably be wise to change the filing to a divorce waiver filing. USCIS is very liberal about what constitutes proof of divorce. Based on my own experience, they will accept either proof of a legal separation or of a divorce filing; you don't have to actually have a final divorce decree. What they will not accept is a statement that one of you has moved out.

However, I think that you can even continue the filing as married, assuming your spouse does not withdraw sponsorship. Even if you are separated, or possibly even divorced, as long as the filing was legitimate and accurate at the time you filed, the filing is valid.

The evidentiary standards will be the same, namely that you entered the marriage in good faith. It doesn't matter if you hit the rocks after a few years, what matters is that it was in good faith at the start.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China

~Moved from ROC Forum to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...