Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

I-751 RFE needs advice

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi! Pardon the posting, i know i could've created a new thread...

us too just got a letter from USCIS. to be honest i was expecting it because we barely have anything to present them. we've been together for 3 years and a half but all that we were able to submit (for I-751) are some pictures, tax returns, affidavits from his (US citizen) mom and cousin.

here's what they said

'the evidence you submitted is not sufficient because you have nt shown that you and your spouse share responsibility for most of the marriage. you have not submitted examples of shared assets and liabilities spanning the period of the marriage to show that you have continuously shared a life together.'

we don't have a lease together because we are just living with my aunt for free. his mom has a house but that is too far from where i work that's why we decided to just live here (at aunt's house). before we moved here though, we shared an apartment with his cousin, and of course the contract was under their name. we did not add my name because it will cost a few more money every month. and yes we are quite tight with finances since he was in school and just very recently got out of bancruptcy.

as we all know, USCIS has this list of 'evidences' that we need to provide.

but if, like us, can't provide most of those documents, is it necessary or advisable to explain why?

if i will submit a joint account (2 years) statement, how far back should i go and print the statements?

he just added me to his phone account a month ago (i used to be with under my sister's), should i submit this ONLY utility bill that is under his account or no??? it is even under his mom's address, we didnt care to change it just because of the paperless billing

we obviously have no utility bills under our name because we kept moving - this is the fourth time we moved in 3.5 years coz of financial issues. and the same reason why we're not thinking of having babies yet. SOON :)

is it necessary to submit Driver's License with the same address? or useless???

other evidences that we can submit are

2013 Tax transcript

credit cards with him as an authorized user (there is no more such thing as joint credit card account as far as i was told)

pictures from recent trip and visit to his relatives in another state

My benefits/insurance statement showing him as the beneficiary, and he is included under my policy. (this one is something that i just printed online, is that ok)

His own bank account showing our current address

His pay stub and my pay stub showing same address

any suggestions, please??? thank you all!!!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China

~Moved from K1 Process to ROC Forum~

~Inquiry about I-751, not k1 related~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China

Your lists are good. Driver licence is a must send which it proves couples living together. Send everything even it is not a joint account, it would count as joint residence. Maybe get people to write letters for you.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Timeline

What I would do is organize the evidence in such a way that it "tells the story." USCIS is used to seeing people who don't really share their lives and are trying to fake it, and also those who do share their lives but don't have a house with a white picket fence and 2.3 children.

I might do a cover letter and then a sheet saying something like:

A. Evidence of shared residence

1) Affidavit from aunt. (Then explain why you live there)

2) Drivers licenses showing common address


B) Evidence of shared finances

1) Joint bank account statements.

2) Credit card statements. Account is in individual name but spouse is an authorized user. Purchases by spouse are highlighted in yellow. (It certainly wouldn't hurt if some of the purchases are from stores selling only girly items and some selling only guy items.)


Regarding bank statements, most advice on this board is to send in one statement per quarter for the duration of the marriage.

I think it will help if you make it easy for USCIS to understand the story. It's not about some artificial checklist, and it's definitely not about some kind of phony appearance. They want to see the truth in a way they can understand. And the easier you make it for them to understand, the more likely they are to believe it. I don't think RFE's are submitted under oath, but if you put a notation on a bank statement that says "Birthday present for husband's brother" they are not likely to think you're lying. People will omit awkward facts, but they usually won't just make something up.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...