harizon

Moving procedures

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi there!

Me and my fiancee have gotten our K-1 approved and I will be moving from Norway to the United States to finally be with her this december!

Our wedding date has been set, venue acquired, families have booked trips and hotels etc. so all that stuff is good and ready.
The reason for this topic is to maybe get some help or tips regarding the move in general. I've been trying to get an overview of things that I need to do, and I want to make sure I don't forget anything.

Pre-move:
- I need to check with certain government bodies how to retain a link with Norway through some sort of taxation perhaps of any new job I get over in the U.S. This is because moving back together could be a possibility in the future.
- I'm in the process of getting english written letters of recommendation from my previous employers for use in my job search.
- Trying to get various certifications translated to english

- FIle a notice of moving out of the country

Post-move:

- Get a social security number (could use some help on this one)

- Get a marriage license for the wedding

- Get health insurance (could use some help here as well)

- Apply for AOS/work permit after wedding (help needed here also)

- Get an american phonenumber/plan

- Setup a new bank account

That's sort what I'm thinking about that I have to do. Is there anything I'm missing?

(Regarding moving of my things: I don't have a lot of stuff that I'm bringing over so I won't be shipping anything etc. I'm just gonna be bringing 2 checked suitcases on the plane ride.)

Thank you for taking the time to read my post! Any and all help will be appreciated immensely :)

Hi,

I can't really tell if you are the petitioner or beneficiary, sorry about that. I will refer everything as if you were the beneficiary. Once you enter the US with the K1 visa, you are given 90 days to get married.

The first thing that people do is get the SSN, which I believe you have to wait a week or so to do because your name might not be in the system they use. Next step is to get married, as long as this is within the 90 days, you don't have to stress about filing the AOS right away.

You would want to file the AOS as soon as you can anyway, because you wouldn't be able to travel or work until you get an EAD/AP doc.

I don't know if you have read the guides on AOS, but they explain the paperwork you need and they have a flowchart of the process, as well as how to get an SSN. I will post these here:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Moving from K1 to Moving Here and your New Life forum *****

Check out the AOS forum for the procedural questions on that: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/7-adjustment-of-status-green-card-from-family-based-visas/

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.