alborosie8090

When to Submit? & IRS

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Hi.. my partner and I have gathered most of all the information we need for the I-129F (G-325a for both of us, supplemental materials, statement of intent, etc.) I actually came back to the U.S. to get a job so we *CAN* get married here and with the K1.

I'm in the midst of job hunting and wondering how long I should wait before submitting the I-129F. I don't plan on doing it until I have a full-time job for the affidavit of support (I don't want a co-sponsor), however I know that it is recommended to submit pay stubs in addition to the letter from employer with my salary and full-time status and salary info. So, should I wait to submit I-129F until after my first one or two paychecks?

Secondly, for additional proof for affidavit of support -- was considering submitting my W2 from my last jobs held in the U.S., however I was working abroad for the past year which is how we met. So, technically, reported income above the poverty line stops as of August 2013 (when I left). Is it going to hurt to submit my W2's from my full-time U.S. work if it makes it look like I was unemployed as of August 2013? Technically I wasn't, and I did list my employment abroad on G-325A, but the foreign income itself hasn't been reported. Likelihood of any problems with USCIS here? U.S. Income was reported through the end of 2013, but after August was well below the poverty line on a part-time gig that makes a few hundred a month, nothing from abroad. Is this going to raise questions with differences in G-325a info and tax filings with USCIS?

Relatedly, has anyone ran into problems with the IRS because of a petition filed? Big question I have, as filing all this information really makes me nervous.

Finally, for proof of meeting in the last 2 years, for primary evidence was going to submit credit card statements showing purchases, passport stamps, and copies of flight itineraries (I don't have boarding passes). For secondary, I have photos to go with credit card statements (times we traveled together). Is this enough?

Thanks for the advice and support.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi.. my partner and I have gathered most of all the information we need for the I-129F (G-325a for both of us, supplemental materials, statement of intent, etc.) I actually came back to the U.S. to get a job so we *CAN* get married here and with the K1.

I'm in the midst of job hunting and wondering how long I should wait before submitting the I-129F. I don't plan on doing it until I have a full-time job for the affidavit of support (I don't want a co-sponsor), however I know that it is recommended to submit pay stubs in addition to the letter from employer with my salary and full-time status and salary info. So, should I wait to submit I-129F until after my first one or two paychecks?

Secondly, for additional proof for affidavit of support -- was considering submitting my W2 from my last jobs held in the U.S., however I was working abroad for the past year which is how we met. So, technically, reported income above the poverty line stops as of August 2013 (when I left). Is it going to hurt to submit my W2's from my full-time U.S. work if it makes it look like I was unemployed as of August 2013? Technically I wasn't, and I did list my employment abroad on G-325A, but the foreign income itself hasn't been reported. Likelihood of any problems with USCIS here? U.S. Income was reported through the end of 2013, but after August was well below the poverty line on a part-time gig that makes a few hundred a month, nothing from abroad. Is this going to raise questions with differences in G-325a info and tax filings with USCIS?

Relatedly, has anyone ran into problems with the IRS because of a petition filed? Big question I have, as filing all this information really makes me nervous.

Finally, for proof of meeting in the last 2 years, for primary evidence was going to submit credit card statements showing purchases, passport stamps, and copies of flight itineraries (I don't have boarding passes). For secondary, I have photos to go with credit card statements (times we traveled together). Is this enough?

Thanks for the advice and support.

You will not need to provide income documentation until the visa interview for your fiance. The only thing USCIS wants to see in the beginning is proof of your relationship, your biographical details, prior spouses, that you met in the last 2 years, etc... The I-34, Affidavit of Support is needed at the visa interview and then again when you file Adjustment of Status after you're married (I-864). If you do not have a job by the time the interview hits, you can also get a sponsor or co-sponsor for your fiance (if you don't make enough but have a job). USCIS cares more about current and future employment than past employment.

There is a part on the G-325A which asks for the last five years of employment, however you can just start with your most recent and work backwards. You do not need to show proof until your fiance hits the interview portion. If you will be assigned to California - you may have a short wait time and may want to hold off until you have a good job prospect. If you will be assigned to Texas you most likely have the full 5 month wait ahead to get things in order. There are other possibilities - such as delaying the interview or visa issuance, etc. You don't mention your state of residence so I couldn't say where you'd be assigned to.

It is up to you when you feel comfortable submitting your I-129F. As far as I have seen no one has received a request for evidence for not having current employment on the G-325A.

As for the proof of meeting, those all sound like solid pieces of evidence, and it is the same type of thing my fiance and I submitted (I included boarding passes as well). To add to it, I typed up a letter detailing our most recent trip (was a month long), what we did, where we went (dates corresponded to the info on the I-129F) and signed it.

Do not forget your signed letters of intent to marry. They need to be "wet" - no copy signatures, so your fiance will need to send you their copy with a signature. I believe there is a template floating around out there, or possibly in the forms section of the site here.

Good luck! :)

Edited by Megan & Luke

Our K-1 at Texas Service Center

I-129F Sent: 07-02-14 (USPS Overnight Express)
I-129F Rcvd: 07-03-14
NOA1: 07-08-14

NOA1 Hardcopy: 07-14-14

ARN Changed: 07-16-14

NOA2: 01-23-15 (199 days)

Sent to NVC: 01-27-15

NOA2 Hardcopy: 01-30-15 (No consulate listed, inquiry opened)

NVC Received: 02-06-15 (Case # assigned)

NVC Sent: 02-19-15

London Embassy Received: 02-23-15

Readiness Submitted: 03-02-2015

Packet 3 Received: 03-03-2015

Packet 4 Received: 03-12-2015

Medical: 03-04-15 (Passed)

Interview: 04-10-2015 (Approved!)

Visa Issued: 04-15-2015

Visa In Hand: 04-21-2015

POE: 05-03-2015

Wedding: July 10, 2015

3,419 miles (L) Distance means nothing when your heart says "I love you"

YVjFm5.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

You will not need to provide income documentation until the visa interview for your fiance. The only thing USCIS wants to see in the beginning is proof of your relationship, your biographical details, prior spouses, that you met in the last 2 years, etc... The I-34, Affidavit of Support is needed at the visa interview and then again when you file Adjustment of Status after you're married (I-864). If you do not have a job by the time the interview hits, you can also get a sponsor or co-sponsor for your fiance (if you don't make enough but have a job). USCIS cares more about current and future employment than past employment.

There is a part on the G-325A which asks for the last five years of employment, however you can just start with your most recent and work backwards. You do not need to show proof until your fiance hits the interview portion. If you will be assigned to California - you may have a short wait time and may want to hold off until you have a good job prospect. If you will be assigned to Texas you most likely have the full 5 month wait ahead to get things in order. There are other possibilities - such as delaying the interview or visa issuance, etc. You don't mention your state of residence so I couldn't say where you'd be assigned to.

It is up to you when you feel comfortable submitting your I-129F. As far as I have seen no one has received a request for evidence for not having current employment on the G-325A.

As for the proof of meeting, those all sound like solid pieces of evidence, and it is the same type of thing my fiance and I submitted (I included boarding passes as well). To add to it, I typed up a letter detailing our most recent trip (was a month long), what we did, where we went (dates corresponded to the info on the I-129F) and signed it.

Do not forget your signed letters of intent to marry. They need to be "wet" - no copy signatures, so your fiance will need to send you their copy with a signature. I believe there is a template floating around out there, or possibly in the forms section of the site here.

Good luck! :)

Thank you thank you for the helpful response! I actually reside in Colorado - is there anyway to find out where I will be sent to, California or Texas? I've read mixed things on here about that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.