aussiewench

London Embassy Graduates Thread

542 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello All,

I got an email yesterday saying this:

On May 23, 2006, we transferred your I485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status to an office in CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER for processing. Our office in CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER will send you a written decision as soon as processing is complete. You should receive a notice informing you that your case has been transferred to a local office. Please call the National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283 to receive information about local office processing times.

Good or bad news...?

Kiki (F)

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure, but it sounds like good news. I would think that would mean that they're getting ready to approve/interview you. Might want to take it to the AOS forum for a wider range of opinions. But I would say good. :)

Filed: Other Timeline
Hello All,

I got an email yesterday saying this:

On May 23, 2006, we transferred your I485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status to an office in CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER for processing. Our office in CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER will send you a written decision as soon as processing is complete. You should receive a notice informing you that your case has been transferred to a local office. Please call the National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283 to receive information about local office processing times.

Good or bad news...?

Kiki (F)

OMG! That kind of news is BETTER than good! Most AOS transfers to California get approved without an interview!

So I'm just wondering how are other people coping with the change of lifestyle here in the US?

I actually thought I was doing pretty well up until recently when I started to feel a bit depressed about how little interaction I get with other people now-a-days. How is everyone else coping with not really having their own friends to have fun with over here? I don't even really get any of my friends IMing me anymore because of the time differences. :unsure:

Edited by HuffyTheSlayer

Filed: Timeline

Hey Huffy (F) I feel the same way :( I think back to my days at work in the Middle East where I ran a government Genetic Department...I had independence, lots of money !!, a great car, a big circle of friends inside and outside of work, and I used to have a great social life...now it has all come to a standstill. I don't see anyone either, though I have made friends wih a couple of our neighbors who are really nice. It is hard for me... :(

Unfortunately my appartment complex is mostly inhabited by hispanic families with kids who have no respect for the property (we live in the ground floor apartment and they just chuck loads of rubbish down the the bottom of the stairwell) and they've also signed for packages for us in the past and kept them, claiming not to have recieved anything.

We are getting new neighbours in the apartment that's opposite to us on the ground floor though, who seem nice. They knocked and introduced themselves to us the other week, but I'd imagine they both work.

I guess I can't complain too much, though. Before she got her a job (which I'm really pleased for her about :)) SanDan and I used to hang out a lot, which was really fun. Maybe I should try and get the Utahns together again for get together. I also have my husbands parrot who is really cute and has really blossomed since I got here and spent time with him. He says he never used to be very good with strangers before I came over, now new people who come over can pick him up (although he still sometimes tries to bite them). So at least I've done some good.

We're also going over to dinner with some friends for dinner tonight which will be fun, I had their daughter be my flower girl. She adored me from the moment she met me and declared me "Harry Potter's sister". :lol:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline
So I'm just wondering how are other people coping with the change of lifestyle here in the US?

I actually thought I was doing pretty well up until recently when I started to feel a bit depressed about how little interaction I get with other people now-a-days. How is everyone else coping with not really having their own friends to have fun with over here? I don't even really get any of my friends IMing me anymore because of the time differences. :unsure:

Hey Huffy,

My husband Andrew is having much of the same struggles....he's doing as well as he can but has begun to refer to himself as "a growth on my hip" since as he couldn't get a test date for his driver's license until the end of July he can't even get anywhere without my help. Soon though, I'm sure things will get much easier for all of us...keep your chin up....Weebeansy

Yeah, I know the feeling, I won't be able to get a DL until I get my EAD, unfortunately. But I do sometimes use the buses and tram to get downtown. Also, our cheques were cashed yesterday evening. So we should get our NOA1 soon, which is uplifting. :)

Also, Sanna and I are going to hang out next week, which I'm really looking forward to. :) So things are looking up a bit already.

Hi I agree with everything you all say,although I have some independence in my truck we still live 25 mins away from the major town centre. My only friends here are mostly friends of my wife and this will probably the case until I get my ead and get a job. Also with the world cup coming up I'm going to miss going down to the local pub and having some banter with my friends,(I have yet to here anyone on tv discussing it here).

Also this AOS part seems to be even more inconsistent than the K-1 part.

I just want to work and get out and meet other people rather than driving 25 mins away and wandering round home depot talking to myself ;) .

Just a though how about everyone thats intrested in the world cup arrange to meet in chat at a certain time

at night say 9pm to converse on the days games.

Regards Scotty

That would be fun, Scotty. :) 9pm in what time zone? I'm planning on watching England this Saturday, although it will be weird doing it at 7am in the morning! (I'm on Mountain Time) Guess I'll have to get used to having breakfast while watching the footie. :P

Oh, and I got my NOA1's for AOS and EAD today. :D

Edited by HuffyTheSlayer

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline
Hi I agree with everything you all say,although I have some independence in my truck we still live 25 mins away from the major town centre. My only friends here are mostly friends of my wife and this will probably the case until I get my ead and get a job. Also with the world cup coming up I'm going to miss going down to the local pub and having some banter with my friends,(I have yet to here anyone on tv discussing it here).

Also this AOS part seems to be even more inconsistent than the K-1 part.

I just want to work and get out and meet other people rather than driving 25 mins away and wandering round home depot talking to myself ;) .

Just a though how about everyone thats intrested in the world cup arrange to meet in chat at a certain time

at night say 9pm to converse on the days games.

Regards Scotty

Hey Scotty,

Andrew is well up for chatting with you about the days games. He's feeling much the same distress over not being able to watch the games with his pals and having the games on at all odd hours. He's wondering in what format you would be chatting? On here? On MSN? He'll be watching tomorrow....so 9pm where???

In other news......Andrew and I just got a notice to report for our interview for our I-485 (application to adjust status) for August 8th!!!!!!! Much sooner than I had thought which is very good. Still no word on the EAD but we're not really expecting to hear back about that until about another month. I've got to admit....I'm really nervous about this final interview...even more so than I was for the K-1 interview. But as Andrew keeps saying, how can they turn us away after coming this far? The only thing that worries me is that I never changed my last name and we don't have wedding rings since we couldn't really afford to buy rings at this point in the game. We're also living with my parents at the moment to help save money so we have no joint utilities or signed leases or anything. We do, however, have a joint bank account and he is also on my car insurance. I also have proof that I have payed for large expenses for him such as college courses. So hopefully that small bit will be enough. I'm just tired of having to "prove" our love...I'm sure you all agree with me 100% on that one.

Anyhow, just wanted to send out an update as things have finally started to seem to happen again. Also, Andrew just took the Praxis exams today as just one of the many steps in transferring his teaching certification to the state of CT. Just one more small hurdle conquered (assuming, of course, that he passed).

Hope the rest of you are all doing well in your journeys!!!! -Weebeansy

I've got to admit....I'm really nervous about this final interview...even more so than I was for the K-1 interview. But as Andrew keeps saying, how can they turn us away after coming this far? The only thing that worries me is that I never changed my last name and we don't have wedding rings since we couldn't really afford to buy rings at this point in the game. We're also living with my parents at the moment to help save money so we have no joint utilities or signed leases or anything. We do, however, have a joint bank account and he is also on my car insurance. I also have proof that I have payed for large expenses for him such as college courses. So hopefully that small bit will be enough. I'm just tired of having to "prove" our love...I'm sure you all agree with me 100% on that one.

Don't worry about the name change. I haven't changed mine and there was no question about it. We're not in the middle ages any more so name changes are not needed to prove a valid marriage. If they ask about rings tell them exactly why you don't have any. I don't have an engagement ring or anything like that and I even forgot to wear my wedding ring at the interview as I hardly ever wear it :blush: I'm sure you'll have a letter from your parents saying that you both live under their roof so they won't be worried about that either. The interview is a piece of cake so try not to stress. I found the whole thing a big anti climax really....and now I'm getting through removal of conditions. Time flies so fast once it's all over.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Hi to you all as I hide my face in shame after suggesting the chat thing and not even showing up, but if its possible we could discuss how fortunate England were on Sat (as always) or just discuss good football teams ;)

right, what say we meet in the chatroom on here tonight 9pm, its free to those ex-scots to everyone else its a Tenner :yes:

Regards Scotty

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.