Puntacana08

AOS after arrival to states - visa issued santo domingo

5 posts in this topic

Hi like I stated before fiancé will be arriving into states in a month or so. Can he go for social security number before marriage on k1 visa. I figure go for social security number then obtain marriage certificate and the apply for aos immediately so we get the papers rolling and get his ead and green card as soon as possible. Is it true that if he does not get his social security card before getting married he then has to wait for ead card? Any thoughts would be appreciated? Also when you send i485 form do you include the affidavit of support at same time?

Hi like I stated before fiancé will be arriving into states in a month or so. Can he go for social security number before marriage on k1 visa. I figure go for social security number then obtain marriage certificate and the apply for aos immediately so we get the papers rolling and get his ead and green card as soon as possible. Is it true that if he does not get his social security card before getting married he then has to wait for ead card? Any thoughts would be appreciated? Also when you send i485 form do you include the affidavit of support at same time?

You have up to about 74 days after arrival to get the SSN--it is based on the expiration of the I-94. After the I-94 expires he will have to wait for the EAD or GC before getting a SSN--some SSA workers think getting married changes the visa which is not true as the K-1 visa is a one entry visa and it is no longer valid once it is used to enter the US. The K-1 is a legal alien allowed to work but needs to have DHS approval to actually work--that approval is the EAD or GC. So getting married has no bearing on getting a SSN.

Yes, you submit the I-864 with the I-485 and you should include the I-131 and I-765 so he can travel and work sooner as they are typically processed faster than the GC.

Just make certain to get the I-94 here, make copies of the NOA2 for the K-1, get several certified copies of your marriage certificate, and begin saving information needed for the removal of conditions (ROC) that will need to be filed within the 90 days that the 2 year GC expires. I would highly recommend scanning the GC so you have a copy of it once it arrives.

Good luck,

Dave

I got the SSN before marriage. I-94 and passport, and fill out a form.

Also, for the AOS, your fiancé needs a birth certificate with English translation. If he doesn't have any copy of the one he gave the US consulate the day of the interview, then he has to get another one before traveling to the US.

Good luck.

10/08/2014 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

10/16/2014 - NOAs:

11/18/2014 - Bio. Appointment

11/25/2014 - AOS Update (Ready for Interview)

12/30/2014 - EAD Approved (Card in production)

12/30/2014 - AP Approved

01/06/2015 - EAD/AP Card Mailed

01/07/2015 - EAD/AP Card Received

01/14/2015 - AOS Update (Interview scheduled)

02/18/2015 - AOS Interview (Approved!)

02/18/2015 - AOS Updated (Card is being produced)

02/19/2015 - Welcome Notice Mailed

02/24/2015 - Welcome Notice Received

02/24/2015 - Card mailed

02/27/2015 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

12/27/2016 - ROC filed (California Service Center)

12/28/2016 - NOA

01/08/2017 - Bio. Appointment Notice received

01/25/2017 - Bio. Appointment done.

12/12/2017 - I-551 Stamp on passport

06/12/2017 - "Approval Notice" DHS website (notice mailed)

06/12/2018 - Card in production

06/16/2018 - Approval Notice/Notice of Action received in the mail.

06/19/2018 GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

My hubby got his 2 days before we got married. I would suggest getting it as soon as you can because a lot of people have issues with the social security office telling them they aren't eligible to get it till they get their EAD. Print out your forms at home and have everything ready to go and know your rights when you go so you can make sure he leaves with his SSN!

K1

3/13/13: Filed K1 Application

3/20/13: NOA1

7/12/13: RFE

8/5/13: RFE Reply

8/26/13: NVC Received

9/4/13: Packet 4 received via email

9/23/13: Fiancee received his hard Packet 4

12/5/13: Interview, Visa Aprobada!

12/12/13: Visa Received

12/13/13: Entry into US

AOS

1/15/14: Filed AOS

1/22/14: NOA

2/13/14: Biometrics Appointment

3/25/14: EAD and AP Approved

3/31/14: EAD/AP Combo Card Received

4/28/14: Received Interview Waiver Letter

10/8/14: Called USCIS and was allowed to file a Service Request since we're outside of normal processing times for our local office. Should have a response in 15-30 days.

10/29/14: Received letter (dated 10/27/14, exactly 1 day before the 6 month mark) stating that our case would be transferred to the Houston field office for processing.

11/28/14: Received letter (dated 11/20/14) stating that our case had been received at the Sacremento office and would be processed there and if we don't hear from them in 60 days to contact NVC.

12/9/14: Card is in production

12/16/14: 2 year card in hand!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You already had a thread on this same topic > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/519697-after-arrival-on-k1-fiance-visa/

You do not have to worry about getting the SSN before marriage in the maiden name. I assume he will not be changing his name through marriage that is. If he is, then yes, apply in maiden name, before or after marriage. As long as there is more than 2 weeks left of validity on the I-94, then he can apply with his passport and the I-94. If you wait until after the I-94 expires, then you would need the EAD or green card.

Yes, you send the I-864 with the I-485. Follow the requirements listed in the I-485 instructions and the guide here that was linked in your other post as well > http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

~ Moved from Caribbean regional to AOS from Family Based Visas - AOS the same process no matter what country issued the K-1 ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.